BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 481 - 490 of 557 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Liters to Cubic Inches Conversion Chart
>>Scientists have used the metric system for at least a century. Currently, that would be the "The International System of Units", abbreviated SI. As a scientist, I'll st...

In GEAR » Liters to Cubic Inches Conversion Chart
April 30, 6:34pm

Re: Re: My UL Frenzy
>>I suppose the next thing we'll hear about is a White Mountain 48 in each of the four seasons of a single 12-month year? I'll bet *that* would be a record (fwiw). Wouldn't sur...

In Editor's Roundtable » My UL Frenzy: Twenty-Five Weekends of Backpacking in the White Mountains and Beyond
April 30, 10:44am

Re: Re: Hiking in the Whites
I don't live there anymore, but I'll be heading to NH at the end of May for a UL trip. This article reminded me of why traveling back to NH to go backpacking is worth the effort (and expense).

In Editor's Roundtable » My UL Frenzy: Twenty-Five Weekends of Backpacking in the White Mountains and Beyond
April 29, 10:46am

Re: Myths about Expensive Cross-Training Shoes
>>I finally settled on the Adidas Supernova Trail I use these also, so far only on training walks/runs, and day hikes, but I'm looking forward to actually backpacking in them. Stable, ...

In On the Web » Myths about Expensive Cross-Training Shoes
April 20, 12:10pm

Re: Re: money
Large gear makers determine what products to make just like any other for profit enterprise -- ROI, return on investment. It's hard to imagine that there is enough of a market for ultralight...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » BACKPACKER Acknowledges Lightweight Backpacking Industry
April 14, 6:28pm

Re: Thru -hiking the AT with dogs?
Dogs are also not allowed in AMC huts and lodges in the White Mountains.

In GEAR » Thru -hiking the AT with dogs?
April 12, 3:24pm

Re: Yet another 3 season gear list
>>I'll be taking this gear on one or two test trips in Massachusetts in late April with minor changes. Rain or wind pants -- I did a Massachusetts AT section hike in late April last ye...

In Gear Lists » Yet another 3 season gear list
April 06, 6:07pm

Re: Mount Rogers Trip Report
Great report. Reminds me that I need to get out more...

In Post-Trip Reports » Mount Rogers Trip Report
April 04, 1:51pm

Re: RE: Stinky
Insport offers some items with X-static (no silver percentage given), look under Running and Military on the Insport website. The running items are available in light colors, but look like they are...

In GEAR » Stinky
March 30, 11:04am

Re: Thought some more
I would start by reading the 2 gear list articles by Doug Prosser on equipping Scouts for backpacking (just use the search function) that are on this site. One is for Philmont, the other is for 3 s...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightening up Adults (again)
March 29, 3:18pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm