BPL Community Profile

Devin Montgomery (dsmontgomery) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale one snowball away from big trouble
About Me Hiker, rower, bicyclist. I go light because I'd rather feel like a guy walking in the woods than a pack-mule hauling a load. Now the maker of the Backcountry Boiler, undeniably the baddest way to heat water on the planet.
CityPittsburgh
StatePA
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://theboilerwerks.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Devin Montgomery

Showing 481 - 490 of 492 | Page: 1 ...31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Forum » Thread

Really?
First, I have to agree with the poster above that criticized guns for their weight. For the vast majority of situations, I'd be hard pressed to think of a worse way to spend a few pounds in my ...

In Chaff » Does your kit include a gun?
December 14, 12:22am

Spectra fabric
Hi Eric, check out: http://tinyurl.com/2ctkqw for an ebay auction for spectra(aka dyneema) 3.6 oz fabric. Even if this particular auction is over by the time you check, just search spectr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Dyneema availibility
November 11, 2:06pm

Re: All-In-One Ti-Stake, Toothbrush, Spoon, Fork, ~5 Grams Each
Innovative idea! My question is how rigid the final setup is. Does the tubing really offer enough resistence to use the knife/fork for cutting?

In Make Your Own Gear » All-In-One Ti-Stake, Toothbrush, Spoon, Fork, ~5 Grams Each
June 05, 10:47am

Re: Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle
Thanks for the support, Mike! Chris - I don't know exactly how thick the vessel itself is. The thickness wasn't listed by the Al bottle wholesaler I got the sample from and I don't ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle
May 16, 10:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle
Argh - bad news. I got a message from the shop where I left the kettle saying that it was to thin to weld. That's pretty frustration considering the fact that I dropped it off three weeks ago...

May 14, 8:17am

Re: First Project - Cuben/Momentum Bivy
Nice bivy, Kevin. That's quite a first project and an amazing finished weight. Once you trail test it, I'd like to hear how the Cuben stands up to this type of use, and how you like the b...

In Make Your Own Gear » First Project - Cuben/Momentum Bivy
May 08, 11:21pm

FYI - Another Titanium Source, any others?
In addition to thru-hiker and McMaster-Carr I found an Ebay store Shapiro Supply that's a good Ti source for a wide variety shapes and sizes that aren't readily available elsewh...

In Make Your Own Gear » FYI - Another Titanium Source, any others?
May 08, 10:36am

Re: Re: Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle
Steve - thanks for the source and the ideas for the stove. Many thanks for the words of encouragement. You're vicious when it comes to saving weight, but I'll give the "rock 'n f...

May 02, 10:01pm

Re: Re: Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle
Thanks, Mike. I think I'll definitely get it up in the G-spot once my prototype is finished and I've been able to run it through some tests. There sure seems to be more traffic there.

April 28, 11:58am

Re: RE: Improved Kelly Kettle
Thanks for the suggestions, Steve. I think you're absolutely right about about the capacity and the inner wall. I'm trying to find a container that's a bit larger with the same wall t...

April 28, 11:54am

All Reader Reviews by Devin Montgomery

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Ultralight Designs Blue Mini
This is aluminum bottle based alcohol stove similar to the "gram weenie" by Whitebox. I bought the stove because of its simplicity and because I could quickly get it for a hike I was taking ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
September 04, 1:04pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
These have been around forever, and I think just about everyone has used them at one time or another. If you're an absolute novice, use them once: chugging the resulting antiseptic rinse is a rig...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
May 01, 12:44pm

Micropur MP 1 Chlorine Dioxide Water Purifier Tablet
My rating of five here is for the Chlorine Dioxide method of treatment, this is just the brand I happened to use. Ultra lightweight, kills most wee-beasties in 20 min, with 4 hrs kills the few ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
May 01, 12:24pm

MSR Whisperlight / Internationale
For years, this was the Model T of backpacking stoves, and for good reason. Runs on almost any fuel, easy and reliable to use in all conditions, "light" for traditional packing. Can accomo...

In Stoves - White Gas
May 01, 11:51am

Marmot Precip Jacket Mens
After having my last rain jacket stolen out of my car right before a long river trip, I picked up a Precip on sale at the local outfitter. It was a good brand, waterproof, breathable, lightweight, and...

In Clothing - Raingear
April 29, 8:48pm

Snow Peak Trek 700
This was the first bit of gear that I bought in my lightweight conversion. Just under $30, plenty of capacity for solo camping (I never could finish a meal that filled it up),includes a lid that drai...

In Cookware - Titanium
April 29, 8:04pm