BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 481 - 490 of 682 | Page: 1 ...40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ...69

Forum » Thread

Re: Fine into the teens with 2 thinlights
This was a test-the-gear trip so I car camped ... In general my plan is to roll the two pads together as one unit, about the same size roll (of course) as a 3/8" pad that I carry strapped ext...

In GEAR » GG thinlite with neo air for winter
October 09, 9:30am

FBC with no pre-hydration works for me
I use both canned chicken and ground beef, little vacuum sealed packets of each in the freezer, grab 1 to N of those for a trip to add to ramen or liptons or whatever. I've never pre-hydrate...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Chicken and beef rehydration
October 09, 9:22am

Fine into the teens with 2 thinlights
A couple of nights ago I had a 1/8" thinlight under my size regular neo-air and a 1/4" thinlight above it. The low temp the next morning was 19F (I left my single-wall tent door open to ...

In GEAR » GG thinlite with neo air for winter
October 08, 10:21am

I'm thinking of getting a Casio ...
I have a Suunto Advizor, which I liked quite well for a couple years, but for whatever reason the altimeter function has become unreliable. It formerly worked great, but I've tested it multipl...

In GEAR » Altimeter Watches
October 08, 10:14am

cheapest gram scale that can be calibrated?
I have a scale that I like well enough that weighs in grams or oz, 5 pound capacity, tare function. The two things I'd like in addition would be (1) higher capacity, perhaps 10 pounds (infrequ...

In GEAR » BPL Scale
October 08, 10:04am

camera criterion
I normally use my smartphone, so for me the #1 criteria is "dual use" (or rather "multiple use"). If I do take a stand-alone camera, I like my Kodak Easyshare v570 dual lense...

In GEAR » What do you look for in a backcountry camera?
September 29, 4:51pm

I'm with Jack ...
My recent experience was similar to Jacks. On the PCT last year about the only time I cleaned up was when I went into a town or a campground that had showers --- that seemed to be enough. A coup...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cleanliness on the trail
September 29, 4:44pm

iPhone apps
I don't use an iPhone, but enough folks do that I added a brief appendix to my "guide for selecting a smartphone for the trail", http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html#AppendixII ...

In Multiple Use Gear » A case for smartphones on the trail.
September 28, 12:10pm

Re: How do I avoid chafing?
Since I normally wear briefs rather than boxers (TMI?), my approach to this issue was to get a sort of brief that has longer "legs" that cover the upper thigh. I think what I'm usi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do I avoid chafing?
September 26, 11:51pm

re: Curious about NeoAir temps
Good thoughts, Scott. Crap, as I go through this exercise I'm afraid the result is going to be to add to rather than reduce my pack weight, but I can always send stuff home if I don't need...

In Gear Lists » NOBO AT list, Late Feb start
September 25, 8:49am

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am