Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 8642 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...865

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Neither test very good then
"I (critically) think that Jim used butane for his test, to see if the regulator provides any benefit over a normal valve as the fuel approaches its boiling limit." I (critically) thin...

In GEAR » Soto Microregulator vs. Monatauk Gnat in Cold Wx
February 18, 11:14am

Re: Thanks!`
"Probably would be better to not have it so tight around my butt." I wasn't talking about you, but just my experience with me : )

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG insulated pants question
February 18, 10:40am

Re: Re: Re: Re: So what does the pressure regulator do?
Running with canister in ice water isn't fraud, just misleading When I run stove at 40 F, ice forms on the outside of canister. If it was in ice water it would be warmer. Unrelated, that...

February 18, 10:34am

Re: Here's the problem
If it's below about 45 F I'll use GoreTex jacket. If I get warm, unzip. If I'm still warm I'll take it off. There really isn't a temperature range where I'm too warm with...

In GEAR » Logic Check: Windshirt
February 18, 8:29am

Re: MYOG insulated pants question
Sure You could just sew through fabric and insulation. Then cut off the excess about 1/4 inch from seam. Then turn inside out and sew over the raw edge and seam so it's hidden - French Sea...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG insulated pants question
February 18, 8:07am

Re: Re: So what does the pressure regulator do?
It's hard to tell what they're doing in that video. You really need a canister with fuel and it takes a while for the temperature to drop. The temperature of the canister is like 10 deg...

February 18, 7:50am

Re: Re: Re: Thermometers
Fever thermometers display the text "lo" if the temperature is less than 90 F or something They would be okay during the summer : )

In GEAR » thermometer
February 17, 8:11pm

Re: Thermometers
I have a Brunton ADC Wind which has a thermometer and wind gauge The problem with the thermometer, is the sensor is buried somewhere in the case so it takes maybe 30 minutes to stabilize. So, i...

In GEAR » thermometer
February 17, 2:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Modern times.
Interesting about Krakauer's theory about the sweet pea being poisonous and the doctor's analysis disproving it but maybe it was mold... Whatever caused his death, he was quite successfu...

In Pre-Trip Planning » The begining of the rest of my life.
February 17, 1:28pm

Re: Re: Modern times.
Don't let the doubters deter you : ) It is possible to have a good experience, even though it won't be like before Caucasians arrived. Like in the book "Into The Wild". The...

In Pre-Trip Planning » The begining of the rest of my life.
February 17, 10:55am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.