BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 7241 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...725

Forum » Thread

Re: On-Trail Route Finding: When the Trail is Hard to Follow
Those are some very nice pictures of Wilderness trails, thanks

In Editor's Roundtable » On-Trail Route Finding: When the Trail is Hard to Follow
May 03, 2:02pm

Re: grommets
Take a soldering iron to make the hole. It will leave some extra strength around the perimeter of the hole. Grosgrain is light weight so you want to minimize weakening it.

In Make Your Own Gear » grommets
April 27, 10:06am

Re: Seperating zipper sources?
questoutfitters.com #5 coil seperating 96" - you could cut it to length I've seen similar at local fabric store - probably toothed - intended for sleeping bag

In Make Your Own Gear » Seperating zipper sources?
April 26, 8:08pm

Re: -video- Antarctic ice melting from below, reveals satellite
What is "the Columbia Highlands" and is there any good backing there? Always looking for a place to backpack away from all the rain in Portland.

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
April 26, 4:52pm

Re: Breathing in sleeping bag?
I've done that before in synthetic bag and when it's cold, everything gets wet, and thus less warm. Better to have proper head wear - like a balaclava - fleece is okay but not that warm ...

In GEAR » Breathing in sleeping bag?
April 26, 2:36pm

Re: Zipper conundrum
You need to order a seperating zipper. If it's too long, you can cut it off at the top, to size. To put in a zipper pull stop, take a manual needle and about 20 loops. If that's not en...

In Make Your Own Gear » Zipper conundrum
April 26, 7:25am

Re: non-skid strips on silnylon floors
I don't think it's critical. If it doesn't seem too slippery in your living room then forget about it. After a trip, if it's too slippery, then put down some silicone. I have P...

In GEAR » non-skid strips on silnylon floors
April 26, 7:19am

re sewing
Rotate the machine manually? Sometimes that helps Sometimes there's a "bird's nest" of thread on the bottom If all you want to do is keep the foam from rotating in a slee...

In Make Your Own Gear » backpack questions for the sewing experts
April 26, 7:06am

Re: Downsizing a DriDucks jacket?
Leaving the jacket bulky will allow more air flow so less sweating. If you want to make it smaller, maybe French seam. See thru-hiker.com "projects". Sew a row of stitches making it ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Downsizing a DriDucks jacket?
April 25, 8:11pm

Re: 8d for ultralight shorts?
Nice article about MYOG pants. I don't remember reading that before. My pants are very similar. Couple of minor differences - French seams, just make pockets straight so you can just fold ...

In Make Your Own Gear » 8d for ultralight shorts?
April 25, 8:07pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.