BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 7102 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...711

Forum » Thread

Re: MREs
According to your link it weighs 15 ounces. Will heat 5 meals. Costs $13.50. Alcohol stove would weigh less. Canister stove a little heavier.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Worth using Mountain Oven flameless heater?
March 22, 8:16pm

Re: Sanctity for Liberals and Conservatives.
I watched a Bill Moyers interview of him on PBS One example was conservatives like lots of American flags Liberals like to do things like make an American flag with the stars replaced by corp...

In Chaff » Sanctity for Liberals and Conservatives.
March 22, 5:14pm

Re: hmmmm
I've had to open my pack when it's raining 1 - I don't put anything wet in my pack. The most I ever wear is a rain jacket and a base layer. If it stops raining I'll let the jac...

In GEAR » Why aren't there more waterproof packs?
March 22, 1:11pm

eric - what communication device works in the wilderness?
eric - what communication device works in the wilderness?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Found a "missing" backpacker last weekend...
March 22, 12:53pm

Re: Favorite Backcountry Animal Sightings (Pictures If Possible)
Bear eating grass or flowers on Yocum Ridge. As good a picture as I can get with cheap-o camera and cheap-o photographer: I snuck up on it and it didn't see me. A couple hours late...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Favorite Backcountry Animal Sightings (Pictures If Possible)
March 22, 9:54am

Re: Re: Waterproof packs
Initially, I took my silnylon (2nds cheap stuff) pack out in the rain Where there was a synthetic insulated garment inside, pressing against top of pack, rain sort of pooled up on the outside, a...

March 22, 9:47am

Re: Found a "missing" backpacker last weekend...
"my kids thought the whole deal was just about the coolest thing ever, my Wife too, for that matter" Nice!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Found a "missing" backpacker last weekend...
March 22, 9:38am

Re: Stake-outs
I use 4 stake-outs - okay up to 30 MPH - but I tend to choose sheltered locations and only 5 feet tall Probably 8 stake-outs are all you need Easy enough to add guy-outs - mid point - on all ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Octamid Help
March 22, 8:00am

Re: Oregon - pumping gas
I agree - have to pump own gas - you don't want to come here : )

In Chaff » suggested (b)est coast locales?
March 22, 7:35am

Re: Why aren't there more waterproof packs?
I agree - why aren't packs waterproof? - makes no sense - having a pack cover or trash compactor bag is a kludge I make my own out of silnylon. After I coated it with mineral spirits/silico...

March 22, 7:32am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.