Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 7860 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...786

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: A full explanation
"So, uh, like what brand of like fuel should I totally use" Giga Power or MSR at REI are good It has to say "iso-butane" on the canister Then it's good down to 20 t...

In GEAR » blended butane failure
October 01, 5:45pm

Re: Re: How many folk backpack all year round.
"Hitting the sack at 5pm and not getting up until 7-8am really sucks IMHO" Okay, maybe the sun rises at 8AM and sets at 4PM but you get an hour of dawn and dusk at each end, and maybe ...

In Chaff » How many folk backpack all year round.
October 01, 5:09pm

Re: Re: A full explanation
"David's explanation makes it sound like something he could not admit to until after the Statute of Limitations had run out." Must be a "Breaking Bad" reference : )

October 01, 5:03pm

Re: Total bag weight
I was just talking weight of down Linear? Look at that chart of Richard's. He did a linear regression producing that line, but you can see a slight curve to the actual data points. I thin...

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 01, 3:17pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: canister windscreen
I use pocket rocket which the flame goes up onto the bottom of the pot, then sideways into the windscreen If the flame was directly on aluminum it might melt? I tried fewer holes, and there w...

In Make Your Own Gear » canister windscreen
October 01, 2:21pm

Re: Practical solutions
I've done the strip of aluminum which works. Just use 18 gauge galvanized wire, through holes in aluminum strip, bent to the right length so it holds the strip tight to the canister. But so...

October 01, 2:14pm

Re: Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
"debatable" debatable? debatable???? (just kidding) Richard's the expert and I really appreciate all the information he's given out, but I disagree with him a little on th...

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 01, 1:42pm

Re: Re: canister windscreen
"How was your old (non-folded) windscreen secured to the pot?" friction you have to make it just barely wide enough to fit make it long, fold one side, put it up to pot and mark ...

October 01, 1:19pm

Re: folds are useful...
Very imaginative, Kevin Main thing is protection against wind which those provide good

October 01, 12:25pm

Re: Sleeping bag warmth vs. fit
Sometimes I like to pull my legs up into fetal position - sleeping bag has to be a little bigger - obviously this makes me warmer

In GEAR » Sleeping bag warmth vs. fit
October 01, 11:02am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.