BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 7296 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...730

Forum » Thread

Re: Most simple, cheapest GPS receiver recommendation pls
If you want good sensitivity, you have to get a more expensive GPS. Good sensitivity means it will work better in steep canyon or deep forest. It also depends on where the satelites happen to...

In GEAR » Most simple, cheapest GPS receiver recommendation pls
May 16, 8:18am

Re: Re: Terran Times
"Present conditions are well within the limits of past variation. Anyone who says otherwise is lying." Carbon Dioxide levels are way above anything in the Antartic and Greenland ice co...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
May 16, 8:02am

Re: Read my mind...
Better to stabilize with a row of stitches all the way around maybe 1/2" or 1" from the edge. If you do 3" or 4" you will have a spot at the edge where there's no insulat...

In Make Your Own Gear » Quilt for AT thru-hike (MYOG)
May 16, 7:47am

Re: Katadyn vs. Sawyer
Sawyer Squeeze weighs 3 ounces Katadyn weighs 11 ounces I may get a Squeeze. I'd have a Platypus for dirty water. Squeeze filtered water into pint bottle. With Pro, I filter water in...

In GEAR » The Sawyer Squeeze just got better
May 15, 7:42pm

Re: CA People -- in the hole for $500 per person?
But the Wall Street Editorial section has always been very partisan - no reason to even look at it I subscribed to the WSJ for years but stopped after Murdock bought it. Except for the editoria...

In Chaff » CA People -- in the hole for $500 per person?
May 15, 10:31am

Re: CA People -- in the hole for $500 per person?
Why is California (and other localities) so far in the hole? Is it wasteful, expensive, liberal programs that have been implemented in recent years? Taxes have been cut for some people, for e...

In Chaff » CA People -- in the hole for $500 per person?
May 15, 7:17am

Re: Might be a crazy idea...
"I've seen lightweight uncoated ripstop polyester, would it be possible to do a DIY silicon coating and get an even coating?" I've taken silicone:mineral spirits, maybe 1:10. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » tent questions
May 14, 11:46pm

Re: Never buying cottage again.
I don't buy things to re-sell, I buy them to use

In Chaff » Never buying cottage again.
May 14, 11:36pm

Re: Nature Journals and peer review
Definitely limit unions also Not only do politicians spend half their time raising money, if you look at the laws, you can tell they're heavily influenced by contributors Like "Dodd ...

May 14, 4:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nature Journals and peer review
But, do you have "the best government money can buy"?

May 14, 4:06pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.