Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 8508 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...851

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Outsourcing security
I agree with you Lynn, that at least for me, having a gun in the house would statistically be more likey to be used by someone inappropriately, than against a bad guy trying to do us harm. Eithe...

In Chaff » Newtown
January 28, 4:59pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Liquid to vapor, or as we Chem Engs like to say, "Heat of Vaporization".
#16 is lighter good idea about flatening for better heat transfer after you've experimented and fiddled and found working solution, then it's a simple and easy (and I'm not s...

In GEAR » School me on inverted canisters in cold weather please...
January 28, 2:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Outsourcing security
oops - Brad beat me to it

In Chaff » Newtown
January 28, 2:46pm

Re: Re: Outsourcing security
no, no, no Lynn the unsafeness of America is an exhageration perpetrated by the media that wants to sell more advertising, the NRA that wants to scare people into buying more guns, and the polit...

In Chaff » Newtown
January 28, 2:44pm

Re: Re: Liquid to vapor, or as we Chem Engs like to say, "Heat of Vaporization".
I've never used inverted canister, but people report that the valve can get gummed up. And inverted stove is heavier and more expensive. Upright stove - just gas goes to valve so no problem...

January 28, 2:39pm

Re: winter emergency gear
Blizzard specs theirs as 8 togs = 5 clo = maybe 20 degree F lower limit = 3 season bag. SOL has no such spec, but they say it's good for sleeping down to 50 F, 30 F if you wear some clothe...

In GEAR » winter emergency gear
January 28, 12:53pm

Re: Vaporization of different fuels
Upright stove - pushes gas out of the canister, new gas boils off the liquid, this cools the canister. Works like a refrigerator. When you're operating it in cold but well above freezing weat...

January 28, 10:29am

Re: Nunatak underfills?
Different brands or models use different amounts of down If a brand uses less down, then it's more important to over-stuff And if you talk about over-stuff of an existing product, it woul...

In GEAR » Calculating Overstuff/Overfill in Down Bags/Quilts?
January 28, 10:23am

Re: Calculating Overstuff/Overfill in Down Bags/Quilts?
Let's say your quilt is 36" x 72" and there's enough baffle fabric to make 2" loft volume = 5184 in3 if you used 900 fill down you would need 5.76 oz of down if you ...

In GEAR » Calculating Overstuff/Overfill in Down Bags/Quilts?
January 28, 8:41am

Re: Time for me to chime in
I didn't think you said anything unreasonable To measure something bulky lika a quilt, hang it from a hanger and rest the hanger on the scale You can zero (tare) the scale with the hanger...

In GEAR » ounces of down = ?temp rating?
January 28, 8:33am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.