BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...537

Forum » Thread

Weiyi
I wear a 11.5 Soloman. My Shays are 12. I usually wear a silk liner or thin nylon sock. Occassionally a thin wool blend or a pair of Wright socks.

In GEAR » Running shoes bad for the joints?
February 01, 1:38am

The Coming American -- by Sam Walter Foss
Bring me men to match my mountains; Bring me men to match my plains, -- Men with empires in their purpose, And new eras in their brains. Bring me men to match my praries, M...

In Chaff » Mary Oliver
February 01, 12:54am

Pied Beauty -- by Gerard Manley Hopkins
GLORY be to God for dappled things, For skies of couple-color as a brinded cow, For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim; Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls, finches' wings; Landsc...

In Chaff » Mary Oliver
February 01, 12:49am

The Men That Don't Fit In -- by Robert W. Service
There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will. They range the field and th...

In Chaff » Mary Oliver
February 01, 12:47am

Re: Mileage
Somewhere I have a little map measurer that is desgined to roll across a map. Of course you need a 7.5 quad to even be close to accurate. If you are interested, I can dig it out and take a picture ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do you calculate mileage?
February 01, 12:24am

Re: GG Murmur question
John, The SitLight and NightLight fit perfectly at 19" x 10". The mesh extends about 6" at the top and bottom. So you can also fold some of the air mattresses in 3rds. Can't s...

In GEAR » GG Murmur question
January 30, 10:08pm

Re: Re: How steep of a slope can you sleep on?
I can't sleep on much of a slope. During the night my body tries to find a level spot, without my permission. If I abosultely cannot find a level enough area, I sleep with my feet elevated on t...

In Philosophy & Technique » How steep of a slope can you sleep on?
January 29, 7:29pm

Re: Re: 2010 GoLite Quilts
"Does 13 oz for other materials seem a little heavy?" Most of the Nunatek quilts are 50% or more weight in the shell material.

In GEAR » 2010 GoLite Quilts
January 26, 10:51am

Re: Re: Condensation inside bivy bags
Some thoughts based on my un-scientific experiences. Where does most condensation come from? Breathing. That is why single wall shelters get so much condensation on the walls. I have had instances ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Condensation inside bivy bags
January 26, 10:49am

Re: Shameless advertising
I have found that the lighter the shoe, the more agile I am. With boots I occassionaly "trip." I don't fall, but it causes a stutter step. Doesn't happen with light shoes. When...

In GEAR » At what pack weight would you wear boots?
January 26, 10:21am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am