BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4791 - 4800 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: Cactus to Clouds
Laurence, that's it. Timing is critical. Too early and there is snow and ice, too late and your brain gets fried in the desert.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacker mag gear issue
March 02, 8:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Nick
Greg, Just sent a PM a little bit ago. Just got back from a trip.

In Gear Swap » WTB; ursack, sp litemax, thorofare
March 02, 8:12pm

Re: Interested
I thought I'd let this thread run for a couple of weeks more and then see who is really interested and then finalize plans. Heck, maybe I'll just do it two weeks in a row :) Pieter if po...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers - Skyline-PCT-Jo Pond Trip in May
March 02, 6:40pm

Re: Backcountry travelling in LA area
The reason for no firewood is that most areas are over used. But even when I can build a fire (even car camping), I don't because fires cut you off from your surroundings.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backcountry travelling in LA area
March 02, 6:24pm

Re: GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT
I recently sold my Ohm and got a Mariposa Plus. I find it is easier for me to live out of the GG pack, with the 4 mesh pockets. I am sure it would be plenty durable. Both weigh about the same. So c...

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT
March 02, 6:14pm

Re: packs
Matt, With most frameless packs, you can use just about any pad. Foam or air. Normally you just fold them in thirds. Or you can by a small "sit pad" do use as the back/frame. But a sit...

In Gear Lists » Newbie list/ Summer /weekend MI
February 28, 3:07am

Re: Going to Vegas, Death valley or Lake Mead
Jarod, I did a trip report in January on a loop I did near Lake Mead. You might find it helpful. There is hiking in the Spring Mountains and Mt Charleston, but they have gotten a lot of snow,...

In Post-Trip Reports » Going to Vegas, Death valley or Lake Mead
February 28, 2:58am

Re: Re: Re: Backpacker mag gear issue
Miguel, Nice article. And you just pushed my Backpacker Magazine hot button. Their articles on specific trails, turn those trails into super highways of hikers, just like you encountered in Japa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacker mag gear issue
February 28, 2:50am

Re: Re: Base Layer for Sleeping
I sleep in whatever I hike in. Extra clothing is unnecessary weight. +1. You can wash a bag. I do this about once every 10 years.

In GEAR » Base Layer for Sleeping
February 28, 2:24am

Re: anyone?
Greg, PM with offer on the pants. I have a pair worn 2 times. I am going to be out of pocket until Tuesday. So may not respond until Tuesday afternoon. Also have a large tan thorofare shirt i...

In Gear Swap » WTB; ursack, sp litemax, thorofare
February 28, 2:17am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am