BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4781 - 4790 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Interested
Craig, the Satuday - Monday timeframe makes the most sense. It would probably be best for you to get a good night's sleep and then leave around 3 am. No traffic and you will get here around...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers - Skyline-PCT-Jo Pond Trip in May
March 02, 10:31pm

Re: A host of ultralight/backpacking questions
Andrew, You can do this all your life. Maybe not everyday. I did it continuously for a couple years when I was young. But then eventually I had to earn a living and prepare for my future. I have...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A host of ultralight/backpacking questions
March 02, 9:51pm

Re: Nick
"Can I ask you why you find the GG pack to be easier to live out of? Better pocket placement?" The side pockets on the Ohm are small and harder to get things in and out of them than th...

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT
March 02, 9:16pm

Re: Minimal hiking shoes
Diane, Yes you are correct to a degree. Unfortunately the really minimal shoes are racing flats. But they aren't going to last to many miles. Next up (in weight and longevity) are Five-finge...

In Philosophy & Technique » Minimal hiking shoes
March 02, 8:47pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpacker mag gear issue
"I respectfully disagree with that. Backpacker features TONS of trails and I don't see all that many people in the backcountry." Jack, I haven't read the magazine in decades, s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacker mag gear issue
March 02, 8:37pm

Re: Cactus to Clouds
Laurence, that's it. Timing is critical. Too early and there is snow and ice, too late and your brain gets fried in the desert.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacker mag gear issue
March 02, 8:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Nick
Greg, Just sent a PM a little bit ago. Just got back from a trip.

In Gear Swap » WTB; ursack, sp litemax, thorofare
March 02, 8:12pm

Re: Interested
I thought I'd let this thread run for a couple of weeks more and then see who is really interested and then finalize plans. Heck, maybe I'll just do it two weeks in a row :) Pieter if po...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers - Skyline-PCT-Jo Pond Trip in May
March 02, 6:40pm

Re: Backcountry travelling in LA area
The reason for no firewood is that most areas are over used. But even when I can build a fire (even car camping), I don't because fires cut you off from your surroundings.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backcountry travelling in LA area
March 02, 6:24pm

Re: GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT
I recently sold my Ohm and got a Mariposa Plus. I find it is easier for me to live out of the GG pack, with the 4 mesh pockets. I am sure it would be plenty durable. Both weigh about the same. So c...

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT
March 02, 6:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am