Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4771 - 4780 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Help me pare down my gear for a speed hike
Nate, On easy terrain, I probably average around 3 mph or less. But I can pick it up. It is just a matter of getting into a candence. Of course the better shape you are in, the easier it is.

In Gear Lists » Help me pare down my gear for a speed hike
March 25, 6:41pm

Re: your climb
Well actually the opposite... Dropped out of college to go backpacking. After hiking around the Sierras for a couple years, decided to become a mechanic, as they made more money than entry level...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Having the time to backpack
March 25, 3:38pm

Re: Lightweight folding backpack?
How about the North Face Flyweight Rucksack. I now use it as a suitcase, and dump my clothes in the hotel dresser, when I go hiking while on business trips. It can be found for under $50. 32L, weig...

In GEAR » Lightweight folding backpack?
March 25, 3:24pm

Re: Help me pare down my gear for a speed hike
I just quickly scanned through the posts, as speed hiking is not something I am really interested in. That being said, it sounds like you might be over thinking this. If I go with the assumption yo...

In Gear Lists » Help me pare down my gear for a speed hike
March 25, 3:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Busting the Crust.
"If I can, I brush my tracks where they leave a route, just to keep others from getting misled." And don't forget to knock down ducks :) If one looks fresh, I do leave it alone.

In Philosophy & Technique » Busting the Crust.
March 25, 2:48pm

Re: Hard hikes.
Well Jack, Most of my hikes start out as easy ones. But then I see something of interest and am continually taking side trips, which often turn into "hard hikes." That is the fun.

In Philosophy & Technique » Hard hikes.
March 25, 2:44pm

Re: @nick
Isaac, I work for a global company that provides business outsourcing services to the automotive industry (consulting, human resources, engineering, etc.). We have offices in 26 countries. I ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Having the time to backpack
March 25, 2:41pm

Re: Re: Re: ID eVent Thru Hiker is tops
"Ben, what's wrong with your Peak shell?" Chris, Probably nothing. It appears that his hobby is buying gear, nothing wrong with that :)

In GEAR » Marmot Mica - How Breathable Is It?
March 25, 12:17pm

Re: WTB your old heavy gear for Boy Scouts
Frank, Just checked out in the garage. I have a Mountainsmith Frost Fire III internal frame pack and an early model Sierra Designs Super Flashlight tent. Both are in good condition. You can have...

In Gear Swap » WTB your old heavy gear for Boy Scouts
March 25, 12:12pm

Re: Re: Postage
"Ouch" Ben it is okay. More than likely in a couple years, they will have several packs in the gear closet like most of us. Remember, you are the "gear enabler."

In GEAR » Backpack Capacity
March 25, 11:59am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am