BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4771 - 4780 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: BPL Inflatable Sleep Pad - Anyone Use One?
I love mine. But keep in mind that I also can sleep on a torso length foam pad. I use the Torsolite if I am not in "ground sleeping shape."

In GEAR » BPL Inflatable Sleep Pad - Anyone Use One?
February 10, 6:16pm

Re: Re: Rail Riders
In the desert the Eco-mesh or adventure shirts are my first choice. But if I have a good tan and will not be in a lot of temps over 100F, I may opt for the RR's Eco-speed T. I also have a Madis...

In Gear Lists » Novice PCT gear list draft 1
February 10, 6:14pm

Re: Trail runners or boots for the Sierras?
Trail runners. This is BPL, so I assume we are all carrying light loads. Exceptions are winter snow (some still use runners) or mountaineering. I don't buy that heavy boots or high ankle ...

In GEAR » Trail runners or boots for the Sierras?
February 10, 6:06pm

Re: PCT
Evan, Jordan's book is more about general techniques. Jardine's is more directed at long thru hikes and how he evolved his gear. Plus Jardine is big on making your own gear and he sells ...

February 10, 9:40am

Re: Funds Transfers
I understand Bob's request. But the majority of buyers/sellers prefer PayPal or other electronic methods. That is the market demand. I have a checking account, but no checks. Haven't wri...

In Gear Swap » Funds Transfers
February 09, 10:45pm

Re: PCT
Evan, Lots of good questions. You are doing your research. You might find two books helpful Lightweight Backpacking and Camping, by Ryan Jordan Trail Life, by Ray Jardine Typically you st...

February 09, 10:16pm

Re: Re: re: Joe Valesko of Zpack's new Joe Valesko of Zpack's newZPacks™ "Hexamid" Twin Tent or Tarp
Very nice!!

In GEAR » Joe Valesko of Zpack's new Joe Valesko of Zpack's newZPacks™ "Hexamid" Twin Tent or Tarp
February 05, 5:35pm

Re: Re: Re: pro/con
First of all THERE IS NO PERFECT system!! I look for the least weight to cover 99.9% of my needs. For me it is a tarp; and tarps are not for everyone. I can use a head net for flying bugs, which...

In GEAR » versatility in a shelter choice?
February 05, 5:26pm

Re: Re: Mike C, underwear, and socks
Nylon dress socks weigh 0.6 oz. And you can ditch the underwear to save weight. I do both often. But.... I am not ditching TP :)

In Gear Lists » some input on my current gear list please
February 04, 8:50pm

Re: DON'T Do This!
Well Ben... In retrospect, it was a bad idea!!

In GEAR » air travel with a backpacker stove
February 03, 7:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am