BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4761 - 4770 of 5371 | Page: 1 ...468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: Some clarification
Simon, Skiing: Okay, you have experience so it is an option. Snowhoes: On gentle terrain, you need flotation more than traction. Ray Estrella posted a story of how he had a potentially danger...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First Full Snow Trip
February 19, 10:20am

Re: Sling shot hangs bear bags
Seems to me that a lot of time would be spent trying to obtain food. Not a good idea if one must rely on game for meals. In a survial situation, perhaps a natural snare would be more appropriate. A...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sling Shots
February 19, 9:51am

Re: TREKKING POLES VS STAFF
Zachary, All my life I have hiked with a single staff. I have an old Tracks brand staff and a lighter collapsable staff. I use them when doing day hikes. And for a shelter like the Wild Oasis, o...

In Philosophy & Technique » TREKKING POLES VS STAFF
February 19, 9:40am

Re: First Full Snow Trip
I hope my comments are not offensive. I have done a fair number of snow trips, but am not an expert or an authority. First off, I would go with someone who has lots of experience (although I di...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First Full Snow Trip
February 19, 2:23am

Re: Gregory Whitney
If you want a really big pack, see if you can find a Kelty Serac external on eBay. Here is a Whitney 95 next to the mammoth Serac. I can't part with gear and my garage is full of my 40 year col...

In GEAR » What is the biggest backpack?
February 19, 1:12am

Re: Lightest winter stove base material
MSR aluminum sheet base. Folding Aluminum MSR Base. And yes that is an ancient Sigg Aluminum Tourist Cookset. A piece of ensolite under everything does a good job.

In GEAR » Lightest winter stove base material
February 19, 12:53am

Re: Mariposa plus
+1 on the Mariposa Plus. I had a ULA Conduit and an Ohm. Both are fine packs, but I just find it easier to live out of GG packs. I now use either a Murmur for short trips, and the Mariposa Plus ...

In GEAR » Pack Decisions
February 18, 12:14am

Re: Anyone Tried the REI Kimtah eVENT Jacket?
Hey Ben, I don't have any experience with this jacket, but have been on a similar quest the past few months. And since we have had a lot of rain, there has been ample opportunities to experi...

In GEAR » Anyone Tried the REI Kimtah eVENT Jacket?
February 17, 6:46pm

Re: Is it better to lose weight, or decrease pack weight?
Five pounds in the pack. The weight is probably going to be concentrated on your shoulders. Five pounds off the body is going to be distributed everywhere, so you will feel the difference in the pa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is it better to lose weight, or decrease pack weight?
February 17, 5:47pm

Re: Should I walk the PCT this year?
Brandon, In twenty or thirty years if you think you will say, "I sure regret not hiking the PCT in 2010." then you have the answer. When I was young I took 2 epic trips before I was...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Should I walk the PCT this year?
February 11, 5:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am