BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4761 - 4770 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Ventilated Back Backpacks
Ray, I meant that I only use these packs when carrying large amounts of water. Otherwise it is something much lighter, and with a much lighter load. My venttilated packs are used for specific...

In GEAR » Ventilated Back Backpacks
March 09, 11:38pm

Update
Okay it is Sat - Mon (May 29-31), so lets plan that. I will give everyone a couple of weeks before sending for permits. We will be checked for permits, so lets make sure everyone who wants to go sp...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers - Skyline-PCT-Jo Pond Trip in May
March 09, 10:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ventilated Back Backpacks
I have a Dueter 42 Pro and a REI Venturi. I live and hike in a hot as you can get climate, but without the humidity of other places. I use these packs only when carrying heavy loads of water in ...

In GEAR » Ventilated Back Backpacks
March 09, 9:51pm

Re: Having the time to backpack
If you want to backpack 'bad' enough, you will find the time. For me it has been a 40+ year avocation. In my earlier years, I had time for many epic 6 month journeys. During the child r...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Having the time to backpack
March 08, 12:05am

Re: Need Complete Gear List
Joshua, There is no such thing as a complete gear list. There are complete gear lists that work for specific individuals. Gear must be integrated into a useful system that meets the living requi...

In Gear Lists » Need Complete Gear List
March 07, 11:54pm

Re: "Water Pocket"
I find all this water pocket conversation curious. First off, adding addtional pockets adds weight. Not a goal I would have in mind. Also I find for some packs the slanted pockets are designed t...

In GEAR » What I would like to see on a pack...
March 07, 11:38pm

Re: Re: I agree
That's it Matt, they know their audience. Can't fault them on that. The thing is, most of use here are on the fringe and represent such a small piece of the industry's market share, tha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacker mag gear issue
March 06, 3:12am

Re: Best lunch on the PCT
Fig Newtons!! Gosh I haven't had those in years. I think I'll take some on my next trip. Are they normally stocked in stores (my wife does not allow me in the grocery store with her - as I ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Mid-day snacks / on the go lunch
March 06, 2:51am

Re: A Different Approach
Ben, Nice insights. Actually on my last few business trips I have used my TNF Rucksack as luggage and carried my laptop in a small computer bag. At the end of January I had a meeting in Irvine C...

In Gear Lists » A new kind of list...
March 06, 2:48am

Re: Re: Re: A new kind of list...
I travel a lot, but not internationally. Light, I have a Photon on my car key chain. I park the car at the airport and take the keys with me. This often comes in handy, especially when getting i...

In Gear Lists » A new kind of list...
March 05, 4:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am