BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4751 - 4760 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: Long Haul Gear list
Keith, You already have received a lot of feedback. But since I am sitting in front of my computer with some "writer's block" for a project I am working on, thought I would go thro...

In Gear Lists » Long Haul Gear list
February 22, 11:21pm

Re: Gloves
For Waterproof/wind I use MLD eVent Rain Mitts. For insulation inside the mitts, it changes for the conditions.

In GEAR » Gloves
February 22, 9:36pm

Re: Sleeping pad selection-BMW torsolite vs neoair
This is such an indvidual preference/need that no rules hold fast. Some people just don't need as much insulation as others, or some folks are just better at site selection. You just have to tr...

In GEAR » Sleeping pad selection-BMW torsolite vs neoair
February 22, 9:33pm

Re: Contacted Chris about the possibility of a smaller pack...
"Gary, I would love to make a smaller pack, but making everything in the US means it's very difficult to make anything that sells for less than $175 and turn a reasonable profit, so for no...

In GEAR » ULA Camino
February 22, 5:45pm

Re: 6.3 oz VB Suit
Sid, Where on earth are you going the needs a VB suit. Are you going to be sleeping in it, or hiking in it?

In GEAR » 6.3 oz VB Suit
February 22, 5:32pm

Re: Some clarification
Simon, Skiing: Okay, you have experience so it is an option. Snowhoes: On gentle terrain, you need flotation more than traction. Ray Estrella posted a story of how he had a potentially danger...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First Full Snow Trip
February 19, 10:20am

Re: Sling shot hangs bear bags
Seems to me that a lot of time would be spent trying to obtain food. Not a good idea if one must rely on game for meals. In a survial situation, perhaps a natural snare would be more appropriate. A...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sling Shots
February 19, 9:51am

Re: TREKKING POLES VS STAFF
Zachary, All my life I have hiked with a single staff. I have an old Tracks brand staff and a lighter collapsable staff. I use them when doing day hikes. And for a shelter like the Wild Oasis, o...

In Philosophy & Technique » TREKKING POLES VS STAFF
February 19, 9:40am

Re: First Full Snow Trip
I hope my comments are not offensive. I have done a fair number of snow trips, but am not an expert or an authority. First off, I would go with someone who has lots of experience (although I di...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First Full Snow Trip
February 19, 2:23am

Re: Gregory Whitney
If you want a really big pack, see if you can find a Kelty Serac external on eBay. Here is a Whitney 95 next to the mammoth Serac. I can't part with gear and my garage is full of my 40 year col...

In GEAR » What is the biggest backpack?
February 19, 1:12am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am