BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 471 - 480 of 641 | Page: 1 ...39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ...65

Forum » Thread

Adding outside mesh pocket to Jam
I have the GoLite Jam backpack from 2011 and would like to add an outside mesh pocket. This would be my first attempt at a MYOG project and looking for some input on source for the mesh and method...

In Make Your Own Gear » Adding outside mesh pocket to Jam
March 08, 8:12am

Re: Tent footprint as tarp
You could definitely use them. My experience is that footprints are typically made from a heavier gauge material than most lightweight tarps so may be a bit heavy. Also most footprints are narrow...

In Multiple Use Gear » Tent footprint as tarp
March 07, 10:36pm

Re: Re: Wimenuche
There may not be a defined loop that long but you could string some things together to make something big. One loop that is on my list this summer is this shorter 22+ mile loop, however, if you pu...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Colorado Loops
March 07, 10:02pm

Re: Colorado Loops
What time of year are you going to do this?

In Pre-Trip Planning » Colorado Loops
March 07, 9:44pm

Fixed Length Poles
I have used variable length poles for the last few years but have the heavy BD poles and am looking to cut weight. I am considering some Fixed Length CF poles. My question is to other Fixed Lengt...

In GEAR » Fixed Length Poles
March 07, 9:43pm

Lightweight and Simple/Convenient
For most people I think you can get into the Lightweight category with the three main areas: 1] Shelter 2] Sleep System 3] Pack For most traditional backpackers you can probably trim 10lbs ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Light weight v. simplicity/convenience?
March 07, 12:58pm

Re: Requirements?
Your focus seems heavily on durability. Take a look at Alps Mountaineering tents. They are inexpensive and use heavier gauge material in their tents so tend to be heavier than what anyone on this...

In GEAR » 2 Person Durable All Year Tent Recommendations
March 06, 10:48pm

Re: Tarp worries.
What is your current setup?

In GEAR » Tarp worries.
March 06, 10:37pm

Re: Katabatic Palisade
I would expect overnight lows at that time could reach 20 on the low end. A 30 Katabatic quilt (True to their ratings as I have experienced) would work if you had good insulating layers to add to ...

In GEAR » Katabatic Palisade
March 06, 1:12pm

Re: Re: Comparison Matrix - 20 Degree Down Bags/Quilts
"but at about half the price the GoLite seems like a better choice". Probably is from a price standpoint, however, as a customer I can tell you that the Katabatic quilts are true to thei...

In GEAR » Comparison Matrix - 20 Degree Down Bags/Quilts
March 06, 1:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm