BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 471 - 480 of 557 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Colorado gear list
I'm assuming you are doing the 4 pass loop or some variation -- I attempted this last year, but too early, creeks were raging and passes full of snow. Your list looks good. I will say that h...

In Gear Lists » Colorado gear list
June 06, 11:26am

Re: Re:
>I am still a little concerned about thunderstorms in late July though. The White Mountain Guide says that the height of summer is the worst time. Scott: Personally, I think the White Mou...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » NH White Mountains - Suggestions Needed
May 22, 10:11am

Re: The AT
>One more: Do you guys hang your food or use a canister? I would have to buy/rent a can if it is recommended. I have heard the bears in the Presidential area are getting very comfortable with hu...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » NH White Mountains - Suggestions Needed
May 22, 6:13am

Presidential Traverse
>>I was looking at the Presidential Traverse and this looks like a great hike. Scott: It's been 30 years since I did a Presidential Traverse, but but my friend and I started at Appa...

May 20, 6:44pm

Re: Lowland route through the Pemi
Thanks for the pictures and post -- I'm planning on spending 6 days in and around the Pemi at the end of May. Spring is a great time in the Whites...

In Post-Trip Reports » Lowland route through the Pemi
May 10, 10:21am

Re: Re: Re: How can I become a hiking 'professional'?
>>I'm not aware of any undergraduate degrees in the field of 'being outside' professionally. What about degrees in areas such as "Outdoor Recreation Management" or &q...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How can I become a hiking 'professional'?
May 05, 9:28pm

Re: how to patch a hole in a down bag?
I've patched down clothing using self-adhesive rip-stop repair tape. If you round the edges of the patch (no square corners to catch and peel), and firmly rub the patch down, it should last for...

In GEAR » how to patch a hole in a down bag?
May 05, 9:19pm

Re: REI UL Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
The locking mechanism is a bit fussy, but I've not had any real problems with these poles. They collapse to a very short length, which makes them easy to stow during air travel.

In GEAR » REI UL Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
May 05, 10:58am

Re: Trip Suggestions Needed: 5 days Rockies or PNW 10-15 mpd
I'd suggest the 4 pass loop in the Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness Area near Aspen, Co. It's about 30 miles, but you could easily extend the mileage, or even spend a day fishing at Snowm...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Trip Suggestions Needed: 5 days Rockies or PNW 10-15 mpd
May 04, 8:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Liters to Cubic Inches Conversion Chart
>>so for practical purposes the "liter" and "1000ml" work Exactly -- the metric system accepts the use of units that are in common everyday use in many areas. I don'...

In GEAR » Liters to Cubic Inches Conversion Chart
April 30, 8:22pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm