BPL Community Profile

Casey Bowden (clbowden) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Berkeley Hills
About Me In 1999 I rode a bike from Oregon to Virgina using lightweight backpacking methods from Ray Jardine's book, Hiking the PCT. My first backpacking experience came 1 year later and I have been hooked ever since.
CityKensington
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://CaseyAndEmily.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Casey Bowden

Showing 471 - 480 of 516 | Page: 1 ...33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Forum » Thread

Re: No Stretch in Rain?
Michael, The folks a GG are not prone to hyperbole. If they say Spinnaker fabric doesn't stretch when wet I believe them.

In Editor's Roundtable » Gossamer Gear / Tarptent Squall Classic Tent REVIEW
November 08, 6:44pm

Re: BICYCLE TOURING
Kevin, In 1999 I rode from Oregon to Virginia using many lightweight techniques from Ray Jardines PCT Handbook. My gear was so spartan that I could lift my bike/gear over my head. Several year...

In Other Activities » BICYCLE TOURING
October 26, 3:06pm

Re: 1 oz. grill
Brilliant, A much cheaper option, although heavier, is to replace the titanium rods with stainless steel bicycle spokes. I have used spokes for some time to support my pot with an alcohol stove...

In Make Your Own Gear » 1 oz. grill
October 19, 4:08pm

Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc.
John, Try a Gossamer Gear torso length Nightlight pad (3.5 oz) paired with a GG 19.5" x 59" x 3/8" pad (5.3 oz). Put your feet near the bottom of the 3/8" pad then put the torso pad on it, dimp...

In GEAR » What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc.
September 21, 12:58pm

Re: Layers???
I agree with the previous comments but would add the following: Try the simplest solution first. For me, that means my torso covering garments are: 1) a short sleeve synthetic shirt, 2) ...

In Gear Lists » Layers???
September 11, 1:03pm

Sonora Pass to Tuolumne
Thank you for sharing your photos. I plan on doing the same trip over the Labor Day weekend. What do you think the snow conditions will be like? Did you use crampons or an ice ax for your trip? ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Trip pix: PCT south from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows
July 27, 8:50am

BMV Vapr Bivy For Sale
Brand New BMW Vapr Bivy (Pertex Quantum) for sale for $150 including shipping anywhere in the lower 48. I purchased the bivy from the BPL used gear sale for $100 expecting it to be used but it was...

In Gear Swap » BMV Vapr Bivy For Sale
July 24, 9:39am

Optical Zoom
Summit CO, Thanks for your input. I posed my question based on my experience with my 2 megapixel Nikon Coolpix. Its 1600x1200 pixel resolution produced very nice 8"x10" prints. If a 6 MP came...

In Editor's Roundtable » Camera Selection Basics for the Lightweight Backpacker
July 14, 5:47pm

Is an optical zoom required?
Optical zooms add complexity, weight, cost, and decrease the battery life. Now that 6 megapixel cameras are common do we really need optical zooms? Why not crop the picture at home on the compute...

In Editor's Roundtable » Camera Selection Basics for the Lightweight Backpacker
July 14, 2:41pm

Re: Re: Insulmat Max-Thermo with GG Mariposa
Fold the long (72") dimension three times so you have an 18" x 20" pad. Next rotate the pad and fold it twice. It works really well.

In GEAR » InsulMat Max Tropics
June 28, 4:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Casey Bowden

Casey Bowden has posted no reviews.