BPL Community Profile

Casey Bowden (clbowden) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Berkeley Hills
About Me In 1999 I rode a bike from Oregon to Virgina using lightweight backpacking methods from Ray Jardine's book, Hiking the PCT. My first backpacking experience came 1 year later and I have been hooked ever since.
CityKensington
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://CaseyAndEmily.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Casey Bowden

Showing 471 - 480 of 512 | Page: 1 ...33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Forum » Thread

Re: Layers???
I agree with the previous comments but would add the following: Try the simplest solution first. For me, that means my torso covering garments are: 1) a short sleeve synthetic shirt, 2) ...

In Gear Lists » Layers???
September 11, 1:03pm

Sonora Pass to Tuolumne
Thank you for sharing your photos. I plan on doing the same trip over the Labor Day weekend. What do you think the snow conditions will be like? Did you use crampons or an ice ax for your trip? ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Trip pix: PCT south from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows
July 27, 8:50am

BMV Vapr Bivy For Sale
Brand New BMW Vapr Bivy (Pertex Quantum) for sale for $150 including shipping anywhere in the lower 48. I purchased the bivy from the BPL used gear sale for $100 expecting it to be used but it was...

In Gear Swap » BMV Vapr Bivy For Sale
July 24, 9:39am

Optical Zoom
Summit CO, Thanks for your input. I posed my question based on my experience with my 2 megapixel Nikon Coolpix. Its 1600x1200 pixel resolution produced very nice 8"x10" prints. If a 6 MP came...

In Editor's Roundtable » Camera Selection Basics for the Lightweight Backpacker
July 14, 5:47pm

Is an optical zoom required?
Optical zooms add complexity, weight, cost, and decrease the battery life. Now that 6 megapixel cameras are common do we really need optical zooms? Why not crop the picture at home on the compute...

In Editor's Roundtable » Camera Selection Basics for the Lightweight Backpacker
July 14, 2:41pm

Re: Re: Insulmat Max-Thermo with GG Mariposa
Fold the long (72") dimension three times so you have an 18" x 20" pad. Next rotate the pad and fold it twice. It works really well.

In GEAR » InsulMat Max Tropics
June 28, 4:30pm

Insulmat Max-Thermo with GG Mariposa
Thomas, I use a BA insulated air core mattress with mummy cut in my GG Mariposa. It works well with a half breath of air and clever folding.

In GEAR » InsulMat Max Tropics
June 28, 12:39pm

Current Conditions in High Sierra
Help. I'm hoping to do a 9-day south to north JMT hike starting July 8th but am unable to find up-to-date snowpack information. All of the national park and national forest websites only have dat...

In Post-Trip Reports » Current Conditions in High Sierra
June 28, 8:36am

Re: What would you do re: gear return
Dave, A few days after I purchased a Tarptent Squall and sealed the seams Henry realeased the Cloudburst. He let me exchange the unused Squall for the Cloudburst. I paid the difference between...

In Chaff » What would you do re: gear return
June 23, 12:31pm

Re: Casey, are you or your wife from Kansas?
Josh, CE yes, but civil not chemical, and Berkeley, not Kansas. And I thought my wife and I were a pretty unique pair...

In Photo Gallery » groceries for ten days in the Pasayten
June 23, 10:56am

All Reader Reviews by Casey Bowden

Casey Bowden has posted no reviews.