BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4691 - 4700 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: It may not exist
+1 with Mike I guess I am a member of the MC Fanatic's club. Sometimes we just overthink simple solutions. However... I am not giving up toilet paper. :)

In Gear Lists » lightweight equipment
April 01, 4:56pm

Re: $ / oz.
I guess I am the exception. But my kids are gone, and am at the stage where I can finally afford any gear I want. So I just look at function and weight.

In Multiple Use Gear » $ / oz.
April 01, 4:52pm

Re: Solo trips
Jeffery, I hike the same areas and don't use bug protection for sleeping. Once in a great, great while I will take a head net.

In GEAR » tarp info
April 01, 8:34am

Re: Re: Re: Q: How does one become a thru-hiker? A: iQuit!
John, I hire a lot of people. The first thing I do is scan the work history. A lot of job changes is a big negative, as it costs our company a lot of money to hire a new employee. However, movin...

In Philosophy & Technique » How does one become a thru-hiker?
April 01, 8:29am

Re: tarp info
Jeffery, Not sure you can find a comprehensive data sheet in one place. Maybe there is an article posted here. Other than that look at manufacturer's Websites and read the forum threads. ...

In GEAR » tarp info
March 31, 10:40pm

Re: Anatomy of a Sock
Travis, Interesting photo essay. Can't say it proves anything. The pictures 'look' like the SmartWools are very well made in comparison. All my SmartWool socks have worn well and are...

In GEAR » Anatomy of a Sock
March 31, 10:35pm

Re: Re: Zion - Snakes
You will return safe and sound. You probably won't see any slithering critters. But we do expect one outstanding trip report, since we have all invested so much time in you hike :)

In Gear Lists » Zion National Park - Mid May
March 31, 12:10am

Re: Marmot Essence Weight
My large also weighs 6.8 oz. Mine is a burnt orange, not by choice, but limited colors were available. The material is thin, but not transparent.

In GEAR » Marmot Mica
March 30, 9:18pm

Re: Re: Zion - Snakes
Gosh, I am sorry I started the snake-thing, we have hi-jacked Steve's thread. Bob G mentioned that a rattler can only "strike" from a coiled position. That is true, but it does not...

In Gear Lists » Zion National Park - Mid May
March 30, 9:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Road racing flats"
Craig, IMO base rules. When you look at the elite runners, most have huge base training. Especially in the longer distances. A lot of this is getting to know your body. I would encourage you to ...

In Other Activities » Road racing flats
March 30, 10:30am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am