Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4651 - 4660 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Liner: trash compactor bag vs. official liner
I have bought liners from both GG and MLD. I think they cost around $10 for 4 of them. Their quoted prices are for 2. Yes, it is more than other sources, and I would not make a single item order...

In Philosophy & Technique » Liner: trash compactor bag vs. official liner
May 27, 9:40am

Re: 10 lbs and bear cannisters
"All I really know is that I'm enjoying the trails a heck of a lot more than when I carried 45-50 lb packs." And that is all that matters. 11, 10, 5, 4 lbs it really isn't that...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Made it!
May 26, 10:20pm

Re: Liner: trash compactor bag vs. official liner
"Is there any benefits to buying a BPL of gossamer liner over just using a trash compactor bag like Skurka does?" Sure, you can support a huge comglomorate like Hefty, or help BPL, GG,...

In Philosophy & Technique » Liner: trash compactor bag vs. official liner
May 26, 10:17pm

Re: Best cooking system
John B summed it up pretty well. I dislike wood because of the black that gets pots and the stove so dirty. I have alcohol, cannister, and white gas stoves (actually too many of them). I mostly use...

In GEAR » Best cooking system
May 26, 10:10pm

Re: hygiene
Just Dr. Bronners to wash my hands, maybe my feet if they get really dirty and could lead to blisters. If there is a lake or river, and it is not too cold, I may go for a swim. My wife hates it, an...

In GEAR » hygiene
May 26, 9:58pm

Re: Caldera Keg-F/H
Easily. I have only done actual tests at about 400 feet altitude. 7.5 minutes to a rolling boil with water temperature at 70F to start, with no lid on the K. The highest I have used it is around 10...

In GEAR » Caldera Keg-F/H
May 26, 9:43pm

Re: Skiing the John Muir Trail
What a great report. Although the disappointment in not finishing, resounds in your written voice, I detect a lot of satisfaction and joy in a successful adventure. Sometimes, it is best to bai...

In Editor's Roundtable » Skiing the John Muir Trail
May 26, 2:57pm

Re: This could be a Rescue.....
Had an interesting one this weekend. A friend and I were going to summit Mt. San Jacinto. A freak storm blew in Sunday with highs at the Tram of 32F and 27F low predicted. Winds forcasted at 20-30 ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » This could be a Rescue.....
May 24, 6:05pm

Re: Laptop Ques. for Ye Geeks and Urban Warriors
Ben, I am not a computer electronics expert, but I have been a traveling road warrior for 13 years. The computer bricks also contain circuitry for charging the battery and nominal surge prote...

In GEAR » Laptop Ques. for Ye Geeks and Urban Warriors
May 23, 6:33pm

72 Year old Grandfather doing PCT
I was looking for some PCT trail conditions and ran across this blog. This guy is 72 and has had two knee replacements. I am going to follow this one, and hope others here do the same. As of 5/...

In Post-Trip Reports » 72 Year old Grandfather doing PCT
May 21, 9:44am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am