BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4611 - 4620 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: best pot for canister and alky stove
Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I would get and Caldera Cone set up with a Foster or Heineken can. Everything is perfectly matched, tested, and light. Get another pot for your c...

In GEAR » best pot for canister and alky stove
March 29, 1:59am

Re: New Salomons deflowered today
I've had mine for over a year. No issues with the construction at all. Also, these are the best fitting shoes I have ever bought.

In GEAR » New Salomons deflowered today
March 29, 1:38am

Re: Five Fingers: Dissappointed
Craig, I never noticed either of your complaints, but just took a close look at mine. The front ridge doesn't bother me at all, never even thought about it or felt. I also have the same side...

In GEAR » Vibram Five Fingers??
March 29, 1:32am

GG Murmur?
Under $100, 36L capacity, and weighs 7.6 oz with a belt.

In Gear Lists » 3 season Overnight/Weekend Gearlist
March 29, 1:21am

Re: Re: Alcohol better then Canister for long section hike?
I have had some long discussion about this with a friend of mine who did the PCT a few years ago. He used Esbit for fuel. He said that during the trip, and talking with other hikers, that alcohol i...

In Gear Lists » Alcohol better then Canister for long section hike?
March 26, 1:25pm

Re: Re: ressurection
Angela, When I was young, I chucked everything and went hiking for two years. I gave up a lot future-wise to do this. I won't go into the details, but I was on track to probably become a fig...

In Philosophy & Technique » How does one become a thru-hiker?
March 26, 1:12pm

Re: Caldera
To me the biggest advantage to the cone is using your stove in windy conditions. Last year I took my Snow Peak Giga stove and a kep cone set-up to do some comparison testing... just for my own know...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone System
March 26, 1:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Vibram Five Fingers Reach FAD Status
Craig, Actually you will feel more "barefoot" running or hiking with the 5 fingers. You can really feel the peebles and small rocks, although there is enough protection on the soles, s...

In GEAR » Vibram Five Fingers??
March 26, 12:50pm

Re: re: Having the time to backpack
James, Good plan. That is the point, you need a plan. One good thing about going back to school after many years of life experiences, is that school is much easier. At least it was in my case. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Having the time to backpack
March 26, 12:37pm

Re: Re: Re: Help me pare down my gear for a speed hike
Nate, On easy terrain, I probably average around 3 mph or less. But I can pick it up. It is just a matter of getting into a candence. Of course the better shape you are in, the easier it is.

In Gear Lists » Help me pare down my gear for a speed hike
March 25, 6:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am