Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4601 - 4610 of 6314 | Page: 1 ...452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 ...632

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Calories needed a day
"Here is a website that does most of the calculating for you" Ben, How would you apply this to backpacking?

In GEAR » Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
March 22, 6:32pm

Re: Tales of a Glaciated-Scorched Earth
Hey Jay - Thanks for a trip down memory lane. I spent a few nights camped on Pearl Lake long ago. Not that you oculd tell, but my current avatar was taken on the shore of Cathedral Lake.

In Photo Gallery » Tales of a Glaciated-Scorched Earth
March 22, 6:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Up Hills v.s. Downhills and speed
"Actually this is true in about any race from 800 meters and up. I have seen many good runners lose a race because they went out too fast and faded in the end. For example in a mile or 1500 m...

In Philosophy & Technique » High Speed Backpacking - why
March 22, 6:12pm

Re: Speed hike fueling: water and nutrition
"One thing interesting on research, is that the body uses almost 1/2 of the kcal of food just to process it. You gain the whole amount by using liquid mixes." It works great for regula...

In Gear Lists » Help me pare down my gear for a speed hike
March 22, 5:53pm

Re: More additions
"Mint, sorrel, and wild onions - all of which can often be found near mountain streams - are other tasty additions, especially if you steam or foil-bake your fish." +1 I don't ...

In GEAR » Frying Fish??
March 22, 5:45pm

Re: Measuring canister fuel levels
"Was your trail name "Getawayfromme" then ?" Nah. Getawayfromme is the English word for Eureka.

In GEAR » Measuring canister fuel levels
March 21, 8:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Rainier light?- Boot advice needed
"Hopefully this trip happens, it'll be one to remember." Best of luck, Jeff. If it happens, it'll be one to remember, guaranteed. Let us know how it turns out, huh?

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Rainier light?
March 21, 8:35pm

Re: Thanks again Tom!
"The next 5 months are going to be loooong." They'll go faster than you think, once you get into planning(and fantasizing) mode. I hope you have the time of your life.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » John Muir Trail, Class of 2010
March 21, 8:26pm

Re: One more suggestion
The WM Versalite is worth a look while you at it. It's a 2# bag rated at 10 degrees. With your clothing on, if necessary, you should be able to take it down to at least 0 degrees.

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag Research
March 21, 6:26pm

Re: Kcal/gram
" It is possible to go on a high fat diet to save weight, but it is debatable to what level it is worth it for several reasons." As long as you include enough carbs to support its meta...

In GEAR » Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
March 21, 5:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm