Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4601 - 4610 of 6840 | Page: 1 ...452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 ...684

Forum » Thread

Re: Headwaters of the San Joaquin-another option
"Beautiful country but I couldn't believe the hordes of people and evidence of past campsites scattered around 1000 Island Lake. Ediza too, but not nearly to the same extent." A mo...

In Post-Trip Reports » Headwaters of the San Joaquin
October 05, 4:39pm

Re: Sequoia NP in October
"I tend to be conservative, but personally, I would backpack above 8000 feet in the Sierra in October only with a good clear weather forecast and only for 3 days max - greater duration and you...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sequoia Backpacking
October 04, 9:15pm

Re: Re: The reports of my death are premature
"Some things aren't worth fixing. Methinks this is actually one of them." Aw, c'mon, Ben. Things were just starting to heat up again, and we were definitely generating copious...

In Chaff » End of the Carbon Flame War Thread
October 03, 6:40pm

Re: Re: Tacos al Carbon
"998 more posts to go! :)" Heh heh heh. ;-)

In Chaff » Tacos al Carbon
October 02, 9:14pm

Re: Re: "Mystery Solved!!"
"Unless someone starts another one..... PERISH THE THOUGHT!!" Heh heh... ;-]

In Chaff » Mystery Solved!!
October 02, 9:12pm

Re: Re: Re: Future Economy
"Economies expand by the investment of capital into the economy, which creates jobs." And where are the high skill, high paying jobs, Nick? Increasingly overseas, mostly in Asia, or i...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
October 02, 6:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor people have nobody but themselves to blame
"In my view, the ONLY way to win the economic competition and maintain our high standard of living is TECHNOLOGY. If we lose out on technology, we kiss our high standard of living goodbye. But...

October 01, 9:59pm

Re: Re: Poor people have nobody but themselves to blame
"My wife and I do all those tasks ourselves. Except mow the lawn. I did that until I was 37." Same for my wife and I, and I still mow my lawn at age 70, although it's mostly weeds....

October 01, 9:35pm

Re: Re: Poor people have nobody but themselves to blame
"The posts have been about the opportunities in the US. So we agree right?" They were up until your "Other Ben" post, although I admit I was thinking about other countries lo...

October 01, 9:08pm

Poor people have nobody but themselves to blame
It's relatively easy to be John Gault or Horatio Alger in the US or, to a lesser degree, in some other developed country in that with hard work, ability, and a bit of luck one can indeed succee...

September 30, 8:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm