BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4601 - 4610 of 6082 | Page: 1 ...452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 ...609

Forum » Thread

Re: let's not blur the line here
"Let's not blur the line here in the U.S." I'm afraid the line has already been blurred here in the U.S. by the NPS's rolling over to horse packers. They have caused enorm...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sierra Prime: Off Trail in California's High Country
January 25, 4:49am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Exercise is over-rated!
"nm..no sense in commenting on bizarre statements." +1

In Editor's Roundtable » Lighten Your Heaviest Gear: You!
January 24, 3:54pm

Re: Ohm nom nom.
"Nine days of gel packs and fat reserves? Yum!" Nope. A diet very similar to that of Don Wilson and Alan Dixon on their recent Sierra trip. 1 pound 6 oz/day @ ~2800 calories/day. Th...

In GEAR » BPL Absaroka Pack
January 23, 4:36pm

Re: Price reduction on Montrail Namches
"Montrail Namches - 2 pair Color - Celery Size - 10 Brand new, still in original boxes. Price $ 35/pair including shipping anywhere in continental US. Paypal accepted.

In Gear Swap » FS Montrail Namches
January 23, 4:13pm

Re: Price reduction on Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
"Montbell UL Down Inner Parka Size - Medium Color - Charcoal Used on one 9 day trip, in mint condition. Old style, no adjustable hood or hem. Price $70 plus $5 shipping anywhere...

In Gear Swap » FS Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
January 23, 4:11pm

Re: Re: The opening
"When I tie off to a tree, there is a double overhand securing the opening, then the ends go around the tree and get knotted again, leaving as little slack as possible. Pulling on the sack ope...

In GEAR » Ursack Update
January 23, 3:50pm

Re: BPL Absaroka Pack
"Or for people who are going to be trekking five, six, seven, even nine days w/o resupply then a 37 ounce pack becomes necessary." Not necessarily true, Sam. 9 day un-resupplied trips...

In GEAR » BPL Absaroka Pack
January 23, 3:28pm

Re: Bob, yet a bit more
"but it is possible that the ranger knew the offender from some past incident." Hard to say, Bob. Maybe so. Still... "It's always kind of interesting to watch some offend...

January 22, 8:28pm

Re: Re: Re: a reply to Bob from Tom
"Tom, I was not exaggerating at all. That's just what I saw." Bob, I didn't think you were. That's why I prefaced my comments with "I assume you're not....&quo...

January 22, 7:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Relative Warmth Test
"I finally have to admit men ARE good for something :-0" Now, now, Lynn; Let's not go overboard. Let the tectonic plates beneath your feet stabilize before jumping to hasty concl...

In Editor's Roundtable » Montbell Ex Light Women's Down Jacket Review
January 22, 5:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm