BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4601 - 4610 of 5995 | Page: 1 ...452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 ...600

Forum » Thread

You wanted ugly??
Well here it is. Contemplating Mt Waddington long ago and far away.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ugly Mugs
December 21, 6:14pm

mugs
You wanted ugly?

In User Test Forum » mugs
December 21, 6:11pm

Re: dale.
"i'm with you on that." + 1

In Philosophy & Technique » Ultralight Living Guide
December 21, 4:06pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shrinking triglycerides
"That wasn't the most scientific way to put it it shoud read: As VLDLs lose triglycerides they shrink in size, becoming Low Density Lipoproteins LDLs" Ah, now I at least understan...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lighten Your Heaviest Gear: You!
December 20, 5:36pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Winter hiking footwear?
"I'll definitely use this setup again for my Jan. 1-3 trip!" Sounds like you had a great "warm up" hike. Glad to hear you experience with the 288's I've had my ...

In GEAR » Winter hiking footwear?
December 20, 4:54pm

Re: 50% Off Inov-8 Shoes
"Does anyone recommend the Roclite 370? $51 shipped is tempting, but Ive never bought shoes w/o trying them on first. Worth it?" Flat out the finest backpacking shoe I've ever used...

In Gear Deals » 50% Off Inov-8 Shoes
December 19, 6:16pm

Re: Re: Winter hiking footwear?
"Weather for the trip is: 6-10 inches of snow tonight where we'll be hiking, 10-12 inches tomorrow while we're hiking, 1-2 inches tomorrow night, tapering off. Cloudy Sunday. Temps are...

In GEAR » Winter hiking footwear?
December 19, 6:11pm

Re: Prostate?
"And how much does that prostate weigh, Tom?" My Doc told me after my exam last year that it was an exquisite UL timepiece in fine working order for one so advanced in years. Perhap...

In GEAR » alarm clock input needed
December 19, 6:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Land Mines
"That sounds more like wild horses or burros." Nope. I've seen horsepackers loose their animals right on the shore of pristine lakes in the Upper Kern too many times. What a mess...

In Chaff » Do you hate horses too?
December 19, 5:31pm

Re: outfitters along the PCT
"But the UL 90 inflatable when toggled to the Montbell pillow is a great setup, and FWIW (again, ccf pad underneath)" +1 I've found this combo with a GG 1/8" Thinlite to be...

In GEAR » nightlight torso + thinlight
December 19, 5:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm