BPL Community Profile

Kathleen B (rosierabbit) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Kathleen B has not added a biography yet.
CityStevens Pass
StateWashington

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kathleen B

Showing 461 - 470 of 542 | Page: 1 ...36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Forum » Thread

Use waterproof socks instead
Two weeks ago I wore my Vasque Breeze shoes (the non-Goretex version) with Rocky Goretex socks and Thorlo backpacker socks. I was in sloppy, wet snow all day and was completely warm and dry the wh...

In GEAR » WPB Trail Shoes: Do They Exist?
October 15, 1:06pm

Too many variables
The length of snowshoe depends on the kind of snow you'll be in and how much your pack weighs, in addition to your own weight. The whole purpose of wearing them is to keep from sinking into th...

In GEAR » Which snowshoes to get for winter hiking/backpacking
October 11, 8:47pm

Some answers for EJ
If you're looking at Lightning Ascents for women, use this link: http://www.rei.com/product/714406. They're also on sale. If you're looking at Lightning Ascents for over 175 lbs (175...

October 11, 7:19pm

MSR snowshoes
I've used MSR Denali's (the grey ones) for years. They're very popular around here for snowshoeing in what is referred to as Cascade concrete, and they're especially good for steep...

October 11, 5:27pm

nutella brownie recipe revision
Speaking from recent, personal experience - actually, I had to lick my fingers clean to type this - I suggest Brian's recipe may benefit from a wee bit of an alteration. I used 4 TB (also kn...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » No cook Nutella brownies !
October 09, 8:37pm

Success based on preparation
I enjoyed your trip report and pictures. It's interesting how attitude and preparation can affect the success of a trip. During the same days you were out, two other hikers were working their...

In Post-Trip Reports » Chinook Pass to White Pass, PCT
October 07, 2:38pm

How did the gear on your list work?
Sarah - I hope you post a trip report somewhere on this site about your 2-day trip and how your gear worked. From my desk in Seattle, I've seen some wet and wild weather during the last few da...

In Gear Lists » List for this week
October 04, 2:18pm

couscous recipe plus raisins
I love reading this site to find out what's for dinner. I had all the ingredients on hand because I have the pantry samplers of dehydrated veggies and dehydrated beans from HarmonyHouse. A wo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Curry Lentils & Couscous Recipe
September 26, 8:45pm

What is char cloth and do I need it?
I've never heard of char cloth before, either. A quick search on google found a definition on Wikipedia (inserted below). It sounds kinda cool, but messy. Is char cloth really worth the hass...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making Char Cloth
September 26, 1:55pm

minimal dayhike gear
Brett - I like your minimalist gear collection. You might add a stub of a pencil to make that paper more useful, unless there's already one in that emergency packet. It's the kind of kit ...

In GEAR » Missing hiker wouldn't drink untreated water
September 25, 12:03pm

All Reader Reviews by Kathleen B

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Botach Tactical Customer Service
I had a similar experience to David's. They sent the inferior space blankets, rather than the correct order, took forever to send a return UPS shipping label, and only yesterday admitted to recei...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 07, 5:35pm

Boomer's Guide to Lightweight Backpacking by Carol Corbridge
I was very disappointed in this book. Luckily, I didn't buy it but had checked it out from the library. For starters, the book is in major need of copy editing. There are lots of awkward sent...

In Books and Media
May 28, 2:04pm

Backpacking Light Merino UL Pants
These do everything BPL promised - provide comfortable warmth without being bulky. I've worn them under non-winter hiking pants all winter, and they've extended the comfort range down to 7 de...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 25, 10:55am

Hikelight.com Company
I just discovered this website that is based in Oregon. It seems to be a distributor of some of our favorite brands - SixMoonDesigns, Tarptent, Montbell, GraniteGear, and Western Mountaineering. No ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 22, 9:39am

HarmonyHouseFoods.com vegetables and beans
I just received my second order of dehydrated food from Harmony House. First I bought the vegetable pantry stuffer - 16 different quart-sized containers of various dehydrated vegetables, and then a we...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
July 25, 9:08pm

Golite Paradox pants
I'm not sure whether to review these in raingear or softshell clothing, because they're both. They are all-day pants, rather than rain pants to pull on over hiking pants and are made of a fab...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 10, 1:11pm

Sealskinz gloves
I had the same experience as Brett. My non-waterproof gloves absorbed less water than these.

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
July 10, 12:51pm

ULA Circuit
This pack was on backorder, but it came sooner than Brian said it would. I gave it a 2-day test this last weekend on a short backpacking trip in the Cascades. I was pleased that it was as comfortabl...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
March 06, 1:29pm