BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 461 - 470 of 655 | Page: 1 ...38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ...66

Forum » Thread

Re: A few thoughts, Meta 2p
I would strongly encourage you to look only at dual side entry tents. There are plenty out there and for two people a dual entry, dual vestibule is an awesome feature. For that reason alone I wou...

In GEAR » First lightweight Tent, help!!
March 13, 8:11pm

SOLD Arcteryx Theta AR Men's Small
$125 Shipped CONUS. Used less than 10 times all in winter. This is a Goretex Pro Shell Arcteryx jacket. Do your research and you will know your buying a premium shell. The second and third pi...

In Gear Swap » Arcteryx Theta AR Men's Small
March 13, 8:03pm

Re: Re: Sleeping Bags vs Quilts
" "With the Katabatic quilts.....hang a leg out " How do you do that when it looks like its a mummy quite high up on the leg? I guess it depends on the model?" You just be...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bags vs Quilts
March 13, 4:35pm

Re: Re: Quilts and Drafts
"If that photo is right its got hardly any quilt features at all, e.g. the legs are still inside a mummy?" The most important aspect of the quilt for me at least is the extra room in t...

March 13, 2:40pm

Re: Quilts use below zero
I have personally never camped at or below 0 F temps and doubtful I will ever intentionally do that. I have camped in temps in the 20's in a quilt, no issues. I take my Katabatic Gear 40 degr...

March 13, 2:37pm

Quilts and Drafts
Quilts need not produce a draft. Take a look at the Katabatic Gear quilts. They are the best on the market IMO at the moment. They feature a clip attachment system that keeps the quilt on top of...

March 13, 1:21pm

Re: Recommend a small pack
Not sure if you have made any determination about frame/frameless packs. What is the max weight would you expect your Son to carry? I have last years Jam ("frameless") and I also have t...

In GEAR » Recommend a small pack
March 12, 5:54pm

Re: S-L-X
That's correct 45-50% Methanol, 50-55% Ethanol. Definitely not good stuff to be exposed to for extended periods. Maybe that's why I had a slight headache yesterday after testing my BCB II...

In GEAR » Avoiding soot from alchy stoves?
March 12, 5:13pm

Re: Alcohol
Just so we are clear, Klean Strip SLX is mostly Ethanol not Methanol. Not sure that really makes a difference in your analysis though.

In GEAR » Avoiding soot from alchy stoves?
March 12, 4:07pm

Re: Washing a down bag, no spin cycle
Very creative!! Did you put in some Tennis shoes or Tennis balls to help break up the down clumps when drying?

In Philosophy & Technique » Washing a down bag, no spin cycle
March 12, 2:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm