BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 461 - 470 of 557 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Stewing in your own juices
Currently, here in Houston, it's hot and humid. I wear a Smartwool Microweight T or Icebreaker Tech T Lite for running/walking for exercise. They work fine, feel drier then synthetic shirts (ev...

In GEAR » Stewing in your own juices
June 25, 6:28pm

Re: Re: GG Lighttreks - transporting?
>10x16x24 inches is the maximum allowable carry-on size for Southwest, so the poles exceed that, but you'd think that a slightly long but narrow tube could be slid just fine into the back of...

In GEAR » GG Lighttreks - transporting?
June 25, 11:08am

Re: How Light Can You Go?
Great article Doug -- I wish every Scout and Scouter would read it (and heed your advice) before going on their next backpacking trip. 77 pounds, not so surprising -- we had adults in our troop tha...

In Editor's Roundtable » Philmont Scout Ranch: How Light Can You Go?
June 24, 11:25am

Re: okay, you asked
>>Your scout master is responsible for you, your saftety, saftey of the troop, planning the hike, leading the hike, getting you there, etc. Planning and leading a hike (or any troop activi...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Solo Tarps and Gear
June 20, 8:25pm

Re: Trail Huts
Greenleaf Hut (nicknamed "Flea" by the hut crews), White Mountains, NH. Waited out a storm (heavy rain and 50+ mph wind gusts) the day after this picture was taken...

In Post-Trip Reports » Trail Huts
June 20, 11:51am

Image Test
Some text above Some text below

In User Test Forum » Image Test
June 20, 11:46am

Re: Online Retailers That Accept Paypal?
Download and install the PayPal Plugin -- it generates single-use credit card numbers (Master Card) that allows you to purchase items from on-line retailers that don't accept PayPal directly.

In Chaff » Online Retailers That Accept Paypal?
June 09, 6:43pm

Re: Re: Re: Colorado gear list
@Scott: I started my trip last year on 13 July, it was a record snow year. I was hiking solo, and did not feel comfortable with crossing some of the passes and streams. Buckskin Pass had an impr...

In Gear Lists » Colorado gear list
June 08, 5:45pm

Re: Re: Colorado gear list
This link should answer questions about access to Maroon Bells. I saw one person carrying bear spray last year. Black bears only, hanging food is recommended. Canisters are not required. I saw n...

In Gear Lists » Colorado gear list
June 08, 10:50am

Re: Re: re credit cards
>>Ya know, with all this credit card falderal it would seem easier if more online merchants used paypal, although national banking regs might intervene anyway. PayPal now offers the PayPal...

In Chaff » Bad customer service at Montbell
June 07, 2:10pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm