Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4591 - 4600 of 6314 | Page: 1 ...451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 ...632

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"science debate aside,I have to wonder how much personality plays into this as well." Personality plays a huge role, Brian, for good and for ill. It can take you to new heights of ach...

In Philosophy & Technique » High Speed Backpacking - why
March 23, 8:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"My understanding is that the low-intensity work is actually a very important part of aerobic training -- the base building -- and that in the end a balanced program such as I mentioned (mainl...

March 23, 8:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Endurance fuel
"I have traditionally carried a high fat diet and have experienced "hitting the wall" on some of the 12k passes. Higher ratio of carbs?" Greg, I would say definitely. Goi...

In GEAR » Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
March 23, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"Are you referring to doing any intensity work at all, or just to doing mainly intensity work? What is "intense" to you? Anaerobic Threshold work? Intervals? No, Bob. I was refer...

March 23, 6:38pm

Inov8 Roclite 370's
MPgear has 3 pairs of 9.5's and 3 pairs of 11's as of last Saturday. www.mpgear.com

In Gear Deals » Inov8 Roclite 370's
March 23, 6:10pm

Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"Where we part ways is only in length. Im a big fan of HIT/interval training and I think intensity is the key." It makes for an interesting discussion. I don't know how old you ar...

March 23, 6:08pm

Re: Re: Endurance fuel
"Fat - Fueling for Endurance" Excellent article, Marco. It sure tracks with my personal experience. On backpacking trips up to 10 days my fuel consists of about 30% carbs, 60% fat(in...

In GEAR » Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
March 23, 5:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brain farts
"Brain fart on my part :)" I know how that goes, Nick. I'm surprised I remembered it myself. Running has also been near and dear to me. I raced middle distance, primarily on the...

March 23, 5:17pm

Re: Upper Kern River?
"Would that pika colony be somewhere on the Kern upstream from Wallace Creek?" Quite a ways up from Wallace Creek, in the Upper Kern Basin. Been there continuously for at least 35 y...

In Photo Gallery » Mt Whitney Summit Hike: A photo essay
March 22, 8:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Mt Whitney Summit Hike: A photo essay
"You can find more of them around the Saddlebag Lake Road near Tioga Pass, but they are very elusive." If you venture further into Kern country west and north of Whitney, you'll fi...

In Photo Gallery » Mt Whitney Summit Hike: A photo essay
March 22, 6:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm