BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4591 - 4600 of 6038 | Page: 1 ...451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 ...604

Forum » Thread

Re: Where would you live?
"What cities around the world would people consider ideal bases with lots of easily accessible hiking?" Seattle in Washington state. There dozens of hikes in the Cascades within an ho...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where would you live?
January 13, 6:06pm

Re: eight days later
"Looking forward to working this out on the rocks in the desert this spring." Right on! Keep movin' is the name of the game.

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » new titanium piece
January 10, 4:58pm

Re: Re: Whiteout navigation
"But be aware that when things are pear-shaped SAR will have to wait until it is safe for them to venture forth. You cannot rely on them turning up in the next few hours!" True enough,...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Whiteout navigation...
January 09, 6:54pm

Re: Re: Near Misses
"And if I was below them, I probably would have been a little... shall we say annoyed?" From the looks of that video, if you'd been below them you'd have been road kill.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Near Misses
January 08, 4:53pm

Re: Re: transverse heat loss in insulated air pads
"I've always wanted to see thermographs of the diecut self-inflating pads showing how much heat is lost through the holes in the foam. So many experiments...." Yes, indeed, to the ...

In GEAR » transverse heat loss in insulated air pads
January 08, 4:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Richard
"I meant to say minutes (min)." Got it, Richard. Thanks again.

In GEAR » Reapply DWR to shell of down jacket?
January 07, 6:13pm

Cool sport
This "River Tracing" is a really neat activity. Thanks for sharing!

In Post-Trip Reports » River tracing and hot spring in Taiwan
January 07, 6:11pm

Re: Another reason to take your iPhone backpacking
"The AR.Drone, a four-rotor “quadricopter” which is controlled by Wi-Fi signals, includes wireless cameras that can stream video to a iPhone or IPod Touch" BAAAD idea, IMO. You ju...

In Chaff » Another reason to take your iPhone backpacking
January 07, 6:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Richard
"then put it in a dryer (medium heat) for 45s to 60s." Richard, One point of clarification: Does the "s" in 45s to 60s mean seconds? Sounds like a dumb question, I know,...

In GEAR » Reapply DWR to shell of down jacket?
January 07, 9:10am

Re: Re: Ursack minor?
"I have had trouble cinching the bear ursack completely closed." Hi Donna, Try tying the Ursack to a tree(using a figure 8 or square knot), with only a single overhand knot at the a...

In GEAR » Ursack minor?
January 07, 9:00am

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm