BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4591 - 4600 of 6047 | Page: 1 ...451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 ...605

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Eliptical Machine ? Gym Training ??
"How well do these machines handle this type of conditioning?" They don't, Art, but they're better than nothing. That said, there is no substitute for on or off trail hiking, ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How and where do you train for the trail?
January 17, 8:49pm

Re: Re: External Pad Pocket versus Sweat
"I just hike and ignore it. After a while it is no big issue, other than you may need to don a wind shirt during rest stops." +1. It's a very simple choice: Minor comfort penalty...

In GEAR » External Pad Pocket versus Sweat
January 17, 6:45pm

Re: Re: Step Mill
"I'll have to try it. It looks like it would be similar to running bleachers, without having to change directions..." I think you've got the picture. :)

January 16, 6:54pm

Step Mill
If you can find a gym with a Step Mill, give it a try. It's like a mini escalator canted at ~45 degrees, and you can vary the pace from ~ 1 mph on up to faster than most people can handle. Th...

January 16, 6:17pm

Re: Re: Ugly Mug
" remember when we had to hunt down a pay phone near Joshua Tree and had to settle for a private phone at some furniture store instead?" Oh yeah, I remember, all right. A couple of OT...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ugly Mugs
January 14, 8:30pm

Re: Re: Ugly Mugs
"That's really cool -- esp. to me -- the last cell phone virgin in North America." Uh, ahem; Not so fast there, young fella. Second to last. ;-}

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ugly Mugs
January 14, 6:09pm

Re: Re: Where would you live...
"I had a chance to move back to Bishop with a good job, but my wife voted no." They sure do know how to spoil a guy's good time, don't they. ;} "-Four epic 20 mile hik...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where would you live?
January 14, 5:47pm

Re: tom...
"... i thought for sure you'd say "Bishop, California." I would have but, unfortunately, my wife has the majority vote in our domestic democracy. :(

January 13, 6:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Where would you live?
"Stop rubbing it in....." Heh heh...

January 13, 6:31pm

Re: Where would you live?
"What cities around the world would people consider ideal bases with lots of easily accessible hiking?" Seattle in Washington state. There dozens of hikes in the Cascades within an ho...

January 13, 6:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm