BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4591 - 4600 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: How do you define ultralight?
Being able to hike for 12 or more hours with the ability to easily cover 20 miles on most terrain. And at the end of the day having no shoulder/neck pain from the pack, no sore hips, the ability to...

In GEAR » How do you define ultralight?
June 01, 9:53am

Re: Zion National Park - Mid May
Great report Steve!! When hiking in the desert, my water weight is often more than 50% than everything else I carry.

In Post-Trip Reports » Zion National Park - Mid May
June 01, 9:47am

Re: Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
Tony, Craig Wisner and I did a 3 day, 2 night trip this past weekend. Although we did not discuss methods, and had never met before, we both operated in a similar method. Total time from wake up...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
June 01, 9:43am

Re: Leaving our political views at the door ; ; ;
Okay, I will leave my philosophical view at the door :) But what really irritates me are low flying fighter jets our of China Lake NS, or whever they take off from, in the Sierra canyons at high...

In Chaff » Silence
May 28, 1:35pm

@ Eugene
The sack is close to 7" tall and 3.5" in diameter. I don't know how Joe measures them. I bought a selection of sacks from him. On some of my trips, using a few cuben sacks protects my...

In GEAR » Caldera Keg-F/H
May 28, 9:36am

Re: Silence
The noise of civilization is the engine that drives the production of diving masks, snorkels, fins, UL backpacking equipment, lightweight foods, the computers we are using to post, the power to run...

In Chaff » Silence
May 28, 8:58am

Re: Eastern Sierra car camping - my rant
Greyson, Don't take this personally, as it is not directed to you. I see many people asking for information on a good place to hike. I have never asked anyone. I look at maps, and figure ...

In Other Activities » Eastern Sierra car camping
May 27, 7:01pm

Re: Eastern Sierra car camping
Not UL is okay, IMO. We all have several outdoor passions, outside of strict backpacking. Yes, many free places to camp in USFS lands. Each district has different regulations. Sometimes campi...

In Other Activities » Eastern Sierra car camping
May 27, 4:56pm

Re: Re: Re: nick
John, Thanks for the information. I could not find the Glad bags, and no time to order via the Web. I like the ability to stand them up. The bags I bought are the Zip Lock Zip n Steam bags. T...

In GEAR » Caldera Keg-F/H
May 27, 2:53pm

Re: Backpacking life after children
Having kids is a big responsibility, and is more important than your recreational activities. But you can do both. I began small BPing trips with the kids when they were around 5. My daught...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking life after children
May 27, 2:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am