BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4581 - 4590 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: Barefoot
Actually, I think is on to the answer... just run barefoot. The Vibrams do one thing, get you close without conditioning the bottoms of your feet. Other than that, I cannot see anything else they p...

In Philosophy & Technique » Minimal hiking shoes
April 05, 7:24pm

Re: So a larger tarp
Yes, a larger tarp!! No bivy needed in California. The AT is a different story. I have a SpinnTwinn and it is wonderful, but pricey. And now I have a BPL Nano, but have not used it. Again pricey...

In GEAR » tarp info
April 05, 12:22am

Re: first attempts at tarp pitching
Nice. Looks like you got it nice and taunt. That is the secret. I use the A-frame set up most of the time.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » first attempts at tarp pitching
April 04, 11:55pm

Re: Putting on
Actually they get easier to put on over time. Your toes get trained where to go, your brain follows your toes, and I think the material stretches a little. And they STINK after a while. You have...

In GEAR » Vibram Five Fingers??
April 04, 11:51pm

Re: Re: Re:: $ / oz.
"One thing I have not seen mentioned is expected lifespan." Absolutely!! Many UL items like packs are only expected (by the manufacturers) to last a season.

In Multiple Use Gear » $ / oz.
April 04, 11:40pm

Re: Insole for Salomon xa pro
Why do you think you need "after market" insoles? If the shoes fit perfectly now, they will not fit as well with Superfeet Green. Been there, done that. I bought the insoles, out of many ...

In GEAR » Insole for Salomon xa pro
April 04, 11:36pm

Re: PCT
Evan, Good job!! Use some sunscreen for a while, and you will get tanned hands, and then not need "sun" gloves. How did you get gloves in Idlywild, when you just got to Warner Sp...

In Post-Trip Reports » PCT
April 04, 11:33pm

Re: Trekking poles
Trekking poles are not required to hike (although some will tell you about all the benefits). Some sort of pole is usually required for a tent, which could be carried of found on the trail. Many...

In GEAR » Trekking poles
April 01, 5:01pm

Re: It may not exist
+1 with Mike I guess I am a member of the MC Fanatic's club. Sometimes we just overthink simple solutions. However... I am not giving up toilet paper. :)

In Gear Lists » lightweight equipment
April 01, 4:56pm

Re: $ / oz.
I guess I am the exception. But my kids are gone, and am at the stage where I can finally afford any gear I want. So I just look at function and weight.

In Multiple Use Gear » $ / oz.
April 01, 4:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am