BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4561 - 4570 of 6069 | Page: 1 ...448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 ...607

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Hiking Poles
"Wow! I thought that there was no problem with checked fuel bottles and stoves, as long a they were empty and open. It is hard to believe that no backpacker who flies anywhere takes a stove wi...

In GEAR » air travel with a backpacker stove
February 04, 5:38pm

Re: ducks
"take a dim view of ducks, and actively dismantle them unless they are specifically needed for REAL route finding (e.g. the "entrance" to a set of steep benches to a off-trail pass)....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ducked Route?
February 03, 6:00pm

Re: Re: Made in China - A State of the Market Report
"That is your choice, but given the current state of the world, it makes no sense to me." +1 to your post in general. One point of disagreement: India does, in fact, have a vibrant, ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Made in China - A State of the Market Report
February 03, 5:11pm

Re: Re: Biggest holder of U.S. debt
"The Federal Reserve system of banks and other US intragovernmental holdings account for a stunning $4.785 trillion in US Treasury debt." Does that include the Social Security Trust fund?

In Editor's Roundtable » Made in China - A State of the Market Report
February 03, 4:30pm

Re: Re: need shelter recommendations for Taiwan
"Otherwise, get use to the giant flying cockroaches!" How are they prepared?

In GEAR » need shelter recommendations for Taiwan
February 02, 8:47pm

Re: Ducked Route?
"Could someone please explain to me what a ducked route is? And, also what is a duck trail marker?" Last things first: A duck is a minimum of 2, but usually 3, stones stacked one on t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ducked Route?
February 02, 8:44pm

Re: Re: breathability
"Personally, I find that when I am working hard, that I start to get internal accumulation of moisture in every material I have used when the temp is above around 45F" Under those cond...

In GEAR » What's your favorite rain jacket?
February 02, 6:07pm

Re: Re: Re: Scarp 2?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe the Scarp 2 Tarptent can be purchased with either a mesh or solid inner, or both. Yup, I just checked, either or both, and it weighs 3.25...

In GEAR » 2 Person Lightweight double wall tent
February 01, 8:35pm

Re: All beer.
"i'm sorry, but ALL beer is good beer when you are backpacking, canoe camping, etc." Welllll, almost all beer. I can think of a couple of sure fire exceptions.... :)

In GEAR » The North Face sucks
January 31, 8:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: On the pure joy of being
"I wonder if geese and mushrooms can go to this special place in their heads." I think they were born there and never leave unless we place them in the kind of inhumane, perhaps better...

In GEAR » Goose Down, Humane?
January 31, 8:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm