Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4561 - 4570 of 6760 | Page: 1 ...448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 ...676

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Healthy diet, body fat, etc.
"Hmm...one of the reasons I don't like web forums as well as usenet is that most web forum software makes it extremely difficult to have any kind of organized, logical discussion of a subt...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » how many calories per pound per day do you eat?
August 06, 9:43pm

Re: Re: Fruit and nuts, just like we were brought up on
"I would like to believe this was true, because it would allow me to increase the energy density of my food, and it would also allow me to eat vegetarian while backpacking. I'm sure it doe...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Quinoa for Protein
August 06, 7:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Healthy diet, body fat, etc.
"We had this discussion about longer trips a few weeks ago. Since then I did a 12-day trip, which I described in the OP of this thread." True enough and, IIRC, you lost ~4.5#, which wo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » how many calories per pound per day do you eat?
August 06, 6:58pm

Re: nice thread
"Sometimes it makes better sense ( and less pollution) if we pedestrians just wait a minute and not make everybody come to a stop for us. Key word here " sometimes"." A huge ...

In Chaff » How do you save money and live a simple life?
August 05, 6:05pm

Re: Healthy diet, body fat, etc.
"I used to achieve a much higher energy density with my food until someone here on BPL pointed out to me that a healthy diet should have proportions of about 50-35-15 calories from carb-fat-pr...

August 05, 5:58pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris and water
"I can camel in camp and do long stretches without needing to refill my water supply." I wish I could get away with that. It's a real advantage if you can pull it off.

August 04, 5:25pm

Re: Electrolyte powder
"Tom, Hammer Nutrition now makes the Electrolyte in powder form, for adding into hydration bottles. I use the capsules, and just pop 1-3 per hour." I know, Michael, but they're ...

August 04, 5:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris and water
Ben wrote: "As I read Chris's post, he's saying he drinks 88 oz in 8 hours, not 88 oz in 1 hr." Chris wrote: "I drink up to 88 oz an hour for the first 8 or so hours...

August 04, 4:54pm

Re: PET Mayonnaise Jar
"I was cooking and pulled the mayonnaise out of the frig and the light bulb went on-- the mayo was in a 32oz PET container with a BIG lid." Great minds run in the same channel, Dale. ...

In GEAR » Absolute Lightest 1L Water Bottle
August 04, 4:48pm

Re: Re: Chris and water
Chris, How do you manage to put 88 oz/hr of water through your system without bloating? That's amazing. Do you add any electrolytes to guard against hyponatremia?

August 04, 4:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm