BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4561 - 4570 of 6054 | Page: 1 ...448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 ...606

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Rory Stewart
"thank god the Taliban has a proper name so that if some place is ridden with "badguys" we can distinguish them from the people." Unfortunately for us, in a significant swath...

In Post-Trip Reports » Walking across Iran
January 30, 5:25pm

Re: Re: Iran
"With that in mind I have a couple of mates interested in doing something in the Wakhan Corridor in Afghanistan (a safe bit they assure me!)." Hi Mark, Greg Mortenson is operating u...

January 30, 5:23pm

Re: Re: Rory Stewart
"Wonder what the time frame was? I can't imagine any casual hiker walking across Afghanistan this day and age" Just after we invaded Afghanistan. As he neared Kabul, he almost got...

January 30, 5:16pm

Re: Re: Anecdotal addendum to Tony's research
"These studies support the use of high top shoes for ankle sprain prevention because of their ability to limit extreme ranges of motion" My own personal experience leads me to believe ...

In GEAR » At what pack weight would you wear boots?
January 30, 3:48pm

Re: Re: Rocky goretex socks
"I wouldn't worry about getting your socks wet. Some trips we have wet feet much of the time." Methinks there's a world of difference between getting one's feet wet in sub ...

In Winter Hiking » Winter stream crossings?
January 30, 3:22pm

Re: Re: The most ridiculous thread...
"The most ridiculous thread I have ever read." You obviously haven't followed the Great Carbon Flame War or the various gun threads. Check 'em out and see if you still feel th...

In GEAR » Goose Down, Humane?
January 30, 3:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wild geese different
"Interesting how those that really migrate seem different than those that stay year round." Yeah, they work for a living instead of porking out on handouts from well meaning urbanites....

January 30, 2:59pm

Re: Offensive?
"I don’t care if you find my comments offensive, especially if you do not share that same feeling toward the actions of the Iranian theocracy." Then perhaps you should not mind if ot...

January 29, 6:11pm

Re: Thanks, Mark, for telling it like it is.
Many thanks Mark, for a sensitive, spot on perspective on Iran told as only one who has spent time there could do. I lived there in the mid 70's for 7 months, and your impressions mirror my ow...

January 29, 6:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Goose Down, Humane?
"goose down. goose down. goose down." Bah! Horsefeathers!

January 28, 8:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm