Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4561 - 4570 of 6208 | Page: 1 ...448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 ...621

Forum » Thread

Re: re: Fleece Pants VS. Merino
"For summer in the Sierra I take the lightest long underwear I own just to keep my bag/quilt clean and maybe need if the temps take a wicked drop." +1 Ibex Woolies for me.

In GEAR » Fleece Pants VS. Merino long underware?
March 10, 3:15pm

Re: My Life is About to Change.
Bless your heart, Justun, for truly walking the walk. I have one good friend and an acquaintance who have accepted a like responsibility. In both cases it was, and is, an enormous challenge, but ...

In Chaff » My Life is About to Change.
March 10, 3:06pm

Re: very interesting about the car tire training Tom
"then does Denali train for Everest?" It can be part of a progression leading to an attempt on Everest. Lots of alternatives, though. "If so then in a sense isn't walki...

In Philosophy & Technique » do you train for backpacking? How?
March 09, 8:58pm

Re: Brush rating
"I've never seen that mentioned in any U.S. guidebooks." Me either. Nice idea, though.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Brush rating
March 09, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Re: training
"Didn't Ed work all day and then run at night, ending up with a fast run?" I don't know. Believe it or not I don't know much about how he trains, but the premise is solid,...

March 09, 6:37pm

Re: training
"Isn't that the Ed Viesturs method?" Referring to?

March 09, 6:23pm

Re: Re: Re: do you train for backpacking? How?
"Then when I was getting ready for a high elevation trip, I increased that to 5 miles, and I would attempt to speed up to a sprint for the last half mile. That improves your pulmonary function...

March 09, 6:10pm

Re: Re: Comedy?
"one woman with a big pack dragging a good-sized car tire behind" "Wow; that's comedy!" She's trainig for Denali. The tire is meant to simulate a pulk. Whether o...

March 09, 6:00pm

Re: Re: Darwin?
It appears we have a serious contender for top spot in the Northwest Regional Tournament. Winner goes on to compete in the finals for the 2010 National Darwin Award.

In Winter Hiking » Glacier Hiker in Trouble
March 09, 5:48pm

Re: Inov-8 durability issues?
"Am I right in assuming that this is some sort of fluke manufacturing defect?" I've used the Roclite 390's for 3 seasons for shoulder season and winter hikes, and the 370's...

In GEAR » Inov-8 durability issues?
March 09, 5:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm