BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4551 - 4560 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: Best storm pitch for flat tarp?
I would go for (and use) the bottom left with an 8' X 10' tarp.

In GEAR » Best storm pitch for flat tarp?
June 03, 2:04pm

Re: Darn odd-ball feet! Help!
Chad, Probably the answer you do not want to hear... If there is a substantial difference in shoe sizes, maybe the best solution is to buy two pairs of shoes with proper sizing for each foot....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Darn odd-ball feet! Help!
June 03, 2:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
Does this really save time? You lose the ability to overlap heating your water with getting packed. Agree! And for me a hot breakfast is a great way to start the day.

In Philosophy & Technique » Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
June 03, 12:26am

Re: ultralight one man enclosed shelter?
There is a current thread with an Alenite bug shelter and a BPL nano tarp. Doesn't much lighter, and is roomy.

In GEAR » ultralight one man enclosed shelter?
June 02, 6:07pm

Re: HELP me choose boots!! ADVICE PLEASE!
I abandoned my Lowa Banff boots a couple years ago. But they are the best leather boot I have ever owned. Hand made in Germany with one piece leather. Hmm... how can a hand made leather boot ...

In GEAR » HELP me choose boots!! ADVICE PLEASE!
June 02, 5:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zion National Park - Mid May
As for rattlesnakes, sadly no (no scorpions either). I told you so :)

In Post-Trip Reports » Zion National Park - Mid May
June 02, 1:20pm

@ Jeff
Here is how I put together a trip last December in the Desert near Lake Mead, NV. I reviewed a large scale map of the Lake Mead recreational area. Viewing the map, I picked out a 4 day route. I ...

In Other Activities » Eastern Sierra car camping
June 02, 10:16am

Re: Re: Re: Zion National Park - Mid May
"I have never dealt with such high temps and relentless sun (I'm from Canada)." Planning is critical. You HAVE to know where the reliable sources of water are located. Also you ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Zion National Park - Mid May
June 02, 9:51am

Re: Asics Piranah
I love them too. But they don't last. Mine were done after a 60 mile hike last year. My son's college cross country used them one year for races only. They did not last a season.

In GEAR » Minimalist Footwear Recommendations for Hiking
June 01, 10:33pm

Re: re
Patrick, Bugs depend upon where you live. Also depends on the person. Many people complain about bugs in the Sierra's and they really don't bother me.

In GEAR » Tarp in rain/bugs?
June 01, 10:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am