BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4531 - 4540 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 ...542

Forum » Thread

Re: Tarp in rain/bugs?
You use a large tarp, that would typically be for two people. A cuben fiber one weighs 5 oz. It is big enough that a bivy is not needed. A polycro goundsheet weighs 1.7 oz. A head net weighs 1 oz. ...

In GEAR » Tarp in rain/bugs?
June 01, 9:23pm

Re: "Craig and Nick's Excellent Adventure"
Dave, Craig is actually laid back and easy going. Not the same person who posts here :) I could not have picked a better partner.

In Post-Trip Reports » Craig and Nick's Excellent Adventure
June 01, 9:17pm

Re: Why a tarp?
I usually bring a tarp, but rarely set it up. I always sleep without any shelter, unless it is raining or snowing. Spending a night in the rain/snow in a bivy is not fun.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp without bivy?
June 01, 9:13pm

@ Greg
A lot of the trail was rocky scree type of terrain. Mostly rocks and difficult to find a spot of plain dirt on each step. Rocks about 3" - 6" in size. This is the PCT Section from the Ced...

In GEAR » Minimalist Footwear Recommendations for Hiking
June 01, 9:09pm

Craig and Nick's Excellent Adventure
Several months ago, there was an interest in Southern California BPL hikers getting together for a trip. Going on a group trip is something I have never done. But in the spirit of the BPL community...

In Post-Trip Reports » Craig and Nick's Excellent Adventure
June 01, 8:29pm

Re: Mt100s
My thoughts... Vibram Five Fingers are heavier than other options, extremely hot, and leave your little toe open to potential injury on roots, rocks, etc. Also, they can beat up the bottom of yo...

In GEAR » Minimalist Footwear Recommendations for Hiking
June 01, 11:14am

Re: Tarp without bivy?
I use a "Two Person" tarp. No bivy needed. Only a head net for really bad bugs, but bugs really don't bother me, and I rarely bring one.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp without bivy?
June 01, 10:02am

Re: How do you define ultralight?
Being able to hike for 12 or more hours with the ability to easily cover 20 miles on most terrain. And at the end of the day having no shoulder/neck pain from the pack, no sore hips, the ability to...

In GEAR » How do you define ultralight?
June 01, 9:53am

Re: Zion National Park - Mid May
Great report Steve!! When hiking in the desert, my water weight is often more than 50% than everything else I carry.

In Post-Trip Reports » Zion National Park - Mid May
June 01, 9:47am

Re: Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
Tony, Craig Wisner and I did a 3 day, 2 night trip this past weekend. Although we did not discuss methods, and had never met before, we both operated in a similar method. Total time from wake up...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
June 01, 9:43am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am