Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Robert Perkins (rp3957) - BPL Guest

My Locale The Sierras
About Me I usually plan 2- 3 weekend trips in the Sierras a year and try to do one 'long' hike a year. I really like the Central part of the Sierras.
CitySparks
StateNevada
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Robert Perkins

Showing 451 - 460 of 484 | Page: 1 ...30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Forum » Thread

Hoover Wilderness Hike, 7/22 - 7/24
I have extra permit space for a 24 mi. casual semi-loop hike out of Twin Lakes/Robinson Creek Trailhead on Thurs. July, 22nd. I have permit space for 6 and only 3 confirmed at this point. Will be b...

In Post-Trip Reports » Hoover Wilderness Hike, 7/22 - 7/24
July 14, 11:19pm

JMT, North to South
Ryan, I don't how soon you were thinking, but I will be leaving Whitney Portal August 9th with another fast-packer. We are shooting to finish in the 9 - 10 day range. I'm not sure what time...

In Post-Trip Reports » JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip
July 03, 10:30pm

mobal
+1 on Mobal, I have rented from them the past 2 years. They are up front on their costs and throw in a few extras with it. I needlessly packed the spare battery both years on 7 night + trips and by...

In GEAR » sat phone rental
June 07, 6:46pm

Filters vs Water Treatment
I am trying to figure out what advantage it is to carry water treatment as opposed to a filter. In my case, I have a Pur Hiker modified with shorter hoses and an adaptor for Gatorade bottles, ( ins...

In GEAR » Filters vs Water Treatment
May 08, 6:47pm

Mountain House Packaging
I prefer Mountain House to every other brand I have tried. I particularly like mashed potatoes with cheese and broccoli, beef stroganoff, pasta primavera, and rice pilaf. I have repackaged mine int...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 1 oz Mountain House packaging
May 01, 11:44pm

JMT Video
This was one of the coolest trip reports and photo documentaries I have ever seen. Way to go! I am even more 'fired-up' for my JMT hike than ever. Other than Jared at T.M., did you run into...

In Post-Trip Reports » JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip
April 30, 11:51pm

D- Rings on Bear Can?
"This gave me a very strong set of lash points. Plus you can easily pick up the bearcan with a finger through a D ring." Eric, if it gives you a place to grab, won't it give the...

In GEAR » New pack and bear can
April 25, 5:20pm

LiteMax
I have had this stove for about a year and a half, and I love it. I use natural windscreens such as rocks and stumps and it works well. I have tried to switch to alcohol stoves, including some good...

In GEAR » Snow Peak Litemax
April 15, 10:46pm

compression shorts
I don't hike without them! Due to the size of my thighs, I chaff severely without them. I have found Under Armour to work just fine. They are a bit pricey, but worth their light weight in gold!

In GEAR » Compression shorts/tights?
March 27, 6:55pm

Cheese
Baby-Bel makes at least three kinds of cheeses that are pre-wax coated and sealed and will last for many days on the trail. Walmart carries them and I have seen them in other stores as well. My wif...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cheese - blocks vs. shreds
March 25, 10:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Robert Perkins

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zimmerbuilt Half-Dome, modified
I have owned many packs with some features I liked and dis-liked on each one, so I decided to give the custom order pack method a shot. After a less than pleasant experience with Kooka bay, I went int...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 24, 9:53pm

Osprey Talon 44
I picked up this pack with my REI dividend and have been taking it for a lot of 'test-runs' in the hills and have come to really love it's fit. I have switched between trying out a SMD Swi...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 24, 11:23pm

Six Moons Designs 2011 Swift
I have had a chance to do a quick test run of my new Swift pack with pocket hipbelt, and no stays. I am really impressed with how this pack rides! I loaded it up with about 20 pounds and took it for a...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 09, 8:15pm

KookaBay air mattress
Edit - If I could, I would do two seperate ratings here. The pad would rate a 4, but customer sevice and response time would be a 1. I'll give it an average of 2.5. I got the pad and overall it...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 05, 1:12pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
At first I just loved this filter, it had all of the qualities of a good filter; fast pumping, compact, and light. I used it in the Sierra's, in clear water, following the backflushing instruction...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 26, 10:32pm