Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 451 - 460 of 713 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ...72

Forum » Thread

Buffalo Peaks Wilderness
Buffalo Peaks Wilderness. There is a valley hike linking together Rich Creek Trail, Tumble Creek Trail, and Salt Creek Trail. Complete loop travels all the way around the Buffalo Peaks and is 2...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 20 - 30 mile loops in Colorado
May 15, 10:16am

Re: NeoAir and a T-Shirt
I do something similar but use a Buff and pull the buff over my Exped Air Pillow which provides enough resistance to keep the pillow on my Neoair and gives my face a better surface to lay on.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » securing pillow to pad
May 15, 9:35am

Re: 20 - 30 mile loops in Colorado
Four Pass loop is very strenuous and is 5 hours from Denver. The Goose Creek Trail loop in the Lost Creek Wilderness would absolutely fit the bill for everything except the fishing. It's abou...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 20 - 30 mile loops in Colorado
May 14, 8:10pm

Breakfast Smoothie
The Breakfast Smoothie is incredible. So easy, tasty, filling and long lasting. Has a nice profile of Carbs, Protein and Fat.

In GEAR » Packit Gourmet
May 14, 7:03pm

Re: Re My two cents
+1 to what Luke said. I would think in the Southeast, the bug protection of a Bivy would even be more desirable particularly with a quilt where bugs/ticks could easily crawl into your space. In a...

In GEAR » Quilt under a tarp without a Bivy?
May 14, 10:57am

Re: Re: technique for max. muscle mass?
Resistance training that utilizes the full range of motion of your muscles. Exercises that incorporate a greater percentage of the muscle fiber should result in greater gains. I love P90X because...

In Philosophy & Technique » technique for max. muscle mass?
May 14, 8:58am

Re: Down Bag and Bivvy
If you are going using in temps above freezing then I do something like a 40 degree bag/quilt inside a light Bivy that is water resistent and fairly breathable. Something like the MLD Superlight B...

In GEAR » Down Bag and Bivvy
May 11, 9:06pm

Re: Why Would One Not Choose Wool?
My only concern is the durability of pure thin Merino Wool as a base layer. Personally I would think a blend of wool and polyester would provide some durability, something like what Patagonia does...

In GEAR » Smartwool Microweight or REI Silk base-layers for JMT hike
May 11, 6:41pm

Re: no problem with no lid
His English is not good so we should use more clear phrasing when responding. "i go lidless (without a lid) with my cilogear packs all the time. if i don't need the volume or the segreg...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Do you like use lid?
May 11, 9:30am

Thanks Andrew for posting this. I find a lot to like in Coup's responses. Golite seems to be fulfilling a niche for Light and Ultralight clothing/gear on a larger scale with this model. The ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka interviews GoLite President Demetri Coupounas
May 10, 10:09am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm