Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4471 - 4480 of 8118 | Page: 1 ...439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ...812

Forum » Thread

Re: Hypothermia prevention...horrible story on Ozark trail
"at some point they miss the trail turnoff" When you're going someplace, constantly look back the way you came and plan your return Easy to enthusiastically go forward, but on t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hypothermia prevention...horrible story on Ozark trail
January 14, 1:05pm

Re: Re: What NOT to use
I think Shoo Goo and McNett Seam Grip are pretty similar - I've used both - the ingredients are the same They're both pretty thick And after the McNett "dried" once, several...

In GEAR » Best all-purpose adhesive/sealants
January 14, 10:20am

Re: Re: Re: dry a sleeping bag with a Hothands?
Sleeping human body emits 50 Watts/square meter = 75 Watts As long as it's above maybe 20 F so it doesn't freeze inside bag it will dry out

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » dry a sleeping bag with a Hothands?
January 14, 7:38am

Re: Best all-purpose adhesive/sealants
McNett Seam Grip for non-silnylon - except I don't use non-silnylon very much and it dries in the tube after a couple months Silicone diluted with mineral spirits - not real strong though, h...

In GEAR » Best all-purpose adhesive/sealants
January 13, 10:27am

Re: the more things change
and - as we go absolutely apeshit, it might push some crazy person over the edge into killing people spend an equal amount of time saying people are entitled to 2nd ammendment rights, and saying...

In Chaff » Newtown -- Who Here Changed His (or Her) Mind?
January 13, 10:21am

Re: Thanks Eugene
Good video Pretty soon we'll have Improvised Explosive Drones? They included some video of a hobby drone buzzing the Brooklyn bridge, Empire State Building, and Statue of Liberty. For $1...

In GEAR » quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)
January 13, 8:09am

Re: Re: I don't like inner nets at all
++ to Dean Maybe 10 months out of the year there are few bugs, and the other 2 months I can usually find places where the bugs aren't I have a 4 foot diameter of netting I just rest on to...

In GEAR » What do all of you MLD DuoMid users have against the MLD InnerNet??
January 12, 9:32am

Re: Tarp & camping in the rain
Sleep on slightly sloping ground so water doesn't pool up. And have a waterproof groundcloth or bivy. I've tried various raised edge tarps in the rainy Northwest, and have switched to a...

In GEAR » Tarp & camping in the rain
January 11, 11:05pm

Re: Re: About to start cutting fabric - Dimension check
You could get a sheet of cheap plastic from the home improvement store and make one the size you're think about. Use tape to close it up. Put your pad, sleeping bag, and you inside and roll a...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy Plans - Checking on materials
January 11, 10:48pm

Re: This could've been bad...
Yes, good you're okay! Since everyone is okay, I wonder: If the branch fell, maybe you should have just stayed there? Or looked up at tree to see if it looks like any more branches mig...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » This could've been bad...
January 11, 3:44pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.