BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4471 - 4480 of 7099 | Page: 1 ...439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ...710

Forum » Thread

Re: Sewing T-pins as Pot Stand
How did you attach T pins? picture might be helful

In Make Your Own Gear » Sewing T-pins as Pot Stand
June 16, 9:13am

Re: Re: h2o?
2 liters of water weighs 4 pounds, regardless of whether you categorize it as base weight or not. I only carry 1 pint of water which weighs 1 pound. Of course it depends on available water yo...

In Gear Lists » To shave a pound off of an 11lb base weight or not ?
June 16, 9:11am

Re: Stove gurus: Did I melt the Lindal valve on my stove canister?
So, what is it that makes the windscreen unsafe? Is it the horizontal circle heat refelector piece? More specifically, is it that the burner head to canister connection (including the needle ...

In GEAR » Stove gurus: Did I melt the Lindal valve on my stove canister?
June 16, 8:59am

Re: Stove gurus: Did I melt the Lindal valve on my stove canister?
I had a canister that leaked when I unscrewed the stove, so I just screwed the stove back on until I emptied that canister

In GEAR » Stove gurus: Did I melt the Lindal valve on my stove canister?
June 15, 6:11pm

Re: Where to take 20 year old daughter?
I don't like Mount Rainier or popular areas in Olympic National Park because they're too popular - too many permits, too many other people,... Around Three Sisters in central Oregon is p...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Where to take 20 year old daughter?
June 15, 3:08pm

Re: Do you ever not take a shelter?
The other problem with sleeping under the stars is dew or frost collecting on the outside of your bag. Then you have to dry it out which is a delay and a pain. If you camp under a tree or other...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you ever not take a shelter?
June 15, 11:45am

Re: My BPL family, an apology
No problem with anyone's posts, but at some point has everything been said that can be about criticism of BPL or Ryan? on the other hand, if I don't want to read something I can just ...

In Chaff » My BPL family, an apology
June 15, 8:52am

Re: gaiters...are they needed?
I always wear gaiters - keep dirt and rocks out of my shoes Most gaiters are sort of heavy. Weight on your foot is maybe 5 times as bad as weight on your back because you have to raise and lowe...

In GEAR » gaiters...are they needed?
June 15, 8:49am

Re: Re: Do you ever not take a shelter?
I usually carry a shelter but use it only about half time Even if the weather report is good in Oregon and Washington, it sometimes rains On my most recent trip, I forgot my shelter, weather ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you ever not take a shelter?
June 15, 8:41am

Re: re: down and synthetic
"I'm looking at the application of down v. synthetic fill v. fleece as insulating materials, trying to figure out how much substance lies beneath the conventional wisdom." I'm ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Insulation Measurement
June 15, 8:34am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.