BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4471 - 4480 of 7599 | Page: 1 ...439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ...760

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Too bad no hand pockets
If you wear a down vest as a mid layer, then there's no reason to have pockets, which add weight, complexity, possible failure point. Maybe just a negligible amount though.

In GEAR » light hooded mid-layer + light down vest > than a light hooded down jacket?
October 07, 10:12am

Re: so what
Richard's chart and my measurements are inconsistent with the 5 sleeping bags data There is no conclusive answer at this time So, if you over-fill by 100%, you may have the same weight fo...

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 07, 9:31am

Re: Re: Re: Goatspotting on Mt. Adams, Sept. 2012
I think just one picture is too big Those are great pictures and a great area I like the picture of the goat's rear end dissapearing over the ridge. Same thing happened to me on the Nor...

In Post-Trip Reports » Goatspotting on Mt. Adams, Sept. 2012
October 07, 8:40am

Re: Re: Firestarter
I saw one of those Duraflames on top of East Zigzag Mt near Mt Hood. Someone hauled it up there but couldn't get it lit. Over a couple years it gradually disintegrated into sawdust.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your firestarter of choice?
October 07, 7:58am

Re: Re: Sheet metal punch for stove project
Harbor Freight - bad, bad, bad,... - best to stay away from that place : ) I have the same question. Drilling produces ragged holes also. I've thought about making a jig with hardwood. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Sheet metal punch for stove project
October 07, 7:46am

Re: Re: MSNBC
"how they are going to stick it too the rich for a trillion in taxes" This is not so much an issue of closing the deficit, but it would help It's an issue that all people should...

In Chaff » Romney/Ryan 2012
October 06, 5:45pm

Re: Re: Infield Fly - Romney and Obama
Very nice Doug!

In Chaff » Infield fly rule...
October 06, 1:08pm

Re: Re: MSNBC
"Nobody want's to discuss on either side because we are in election season. We need to vote everyone out of office and turn the whole thing upside down. Voters have to take a stand." ...

In Chaff » Romney/Ryan 2012
October 06, 1:06pm

Re: Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused"
You don't really care about theoretical over-stuffed, you want to know whether to over-stuff a sleeping bag. So it makes sense to construct two test samples that are the same as actual sleep...

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 06, 9:52am

Re: Your firestarter of choice?
Take one egg's worth of egg carton - 0.1 ounce. wrap aluminum foil on the outside For summer dry wood put in 0.25 ounce of parafin, 0.5 ounce for winter wet wood. Put on tray in lowest t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your firestarter of choice?
October 06, 8:58am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.