BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4471 - 4480 of 6427 | Page: 1 ...439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ...643

Forum » Thread

Re: Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt?
Same as Ryan - maybe roll over 1/4", then 1/4" again In your photo, top fabric is 0.5" shorter than bottom - this is unnecesary with thin fabric, in my experience. With thicker f...

In Make Your Own Gear » Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt?
January 13, 7:56pm

Re: Vest or coat
The reason for a vest instead of coat, is that the torso skin temperature is warmer than your arms. Therefore, insulation over your torso results in less heat loss than insulation on your arms. ...

In GEAR » Vest or coat for JMT hike
January 13, 7:18pm

Re: Why not?
Chris' method avoids the thin spots where the sewn through seam is. But, since it's on the edge, you probably don't care so much, it's where you tuck it onder yourself. I have...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pics of quilting on Apex quilt?
January 11, 1:40pm

Re: re: Variations on Fins on a Rockstar can
"I questioned why the MSR HX had such a wide retaining strip in that thread, which goes against my immediate thoughts that arose on this thread, of surrounding the HX fins with a cylindrical &...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fins on a Rockstar can
January 11, 11:32am

Great!
Chris is very knowledgeable, makes excellent posts on forums

In Editor's Roundtable » Introducing Chris Wallace as Backpacking Light’s New Gear Editor
January 11, 11:29am

Re: Strips
Some pins or some hand stitches helps keep the insulation lined up. If it starts to slip a bit you can adjust it when you get to the next pin. I had the same problem as Chris, insulation gets c...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pics of quilting on Apex quilt?
January 11, 10:32am

Re: Looking to start MYOG Sewing projects - Advice Needed
Look through MYOG threads here lots of threads about making packs and quilts thru-hiker.com has some articles and projects that are good, and you can buy good materials. owfinc.com and quest...

In Make Your Own Gear » Looking to start MYOG Sewing projects - Advice Needed
January 10, 10:37pm

Re: Re: Thanks for the feedback
Another thing you could do is to take something around the outside, like even as simple as a wire, and clamp down the fins so they make better contact with the pot. Great idea by the way, very i...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fins on a Rockstar can
January 10, 6:48pm

Re: Drawbacks
Those poles look very thin, what are they?

In GEAR » Coming Soon: Tarptent StratoSpire
January 10, 5:03pm

Re: modesty
Just wear pants or shorts like normal I think a zipper all the way down the front is good because it allows ventilation if you feel warm

In GEAR » Innovation in clothing: Are you ready?
January 10, 4:15pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.