Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4471 - 4480 of 8620 | Page: 1 ...439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ...862

Forum » Thread

Re: 5.5oz Cuben tarp with carbon tieouts
Nice design, finished product, and write-up Some day I may do a Cuben tarp and will refer to this

In Make Your Own Gear » 5.5oz Cuben tarp with carbon tieouts
April 13, 9:53am

Re: Spray on sunblock?
According to http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/ sunscreens aren't very effective they will prevent sunburn, but don't block UVA and UVB which cause skin cancer and skin ageing they ...

In GEAR » Spray on sunblock?
April 13, 8:25am

Re: Emissivity
Emissitivity is in a range of 0 to 1 If it's closer to 1, then a surface will radiate more heat away to a colder area, like the clear night sky, so it will get a few degrees colder. If it&#...

In GEAR » Cuben = Low Condensation?
April 13, 8:11am

Re: Re: Cuben = Low Condensation?
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/emissivity-coefficients-d_447.html unfortunately, all they have that's relevant is that "plastics" are 0.91 so, maybe nylon and mylar are 0.91 ...

In GEAR » Cuben = Low Condensation?
April 12, 10:49pm

Re: conundrum solved...
Nick, you don't know anything about rain and waterproof anything : )

In GEAR » waterproof zippers vs. storm flaps?
April 12, 6:58pm

Re: Re: Another refiller
Take the one you want to fill and put it in freezer. When cold, take it out, connect canisters with the one you want to fill on the bottom, open valve.

In GEAR » Refilling Gas Canisters
April 12, 3:32pm

Re: Re: Re: End of April in California... Where do I go?
Lost Coast http://www.igorkoltunov.com/maps/lostcoast/KingRange_LostCoast_small.jpg

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » End of April in California... Where do I go?
April 12, 3:30pm

Re: waterproof zippers vs. storm flaps?
I use regular zipper without stormflap. I get lot's of opportunity to test it : ) If the zipper is vertical, water will tend to run down it rather than inside so it doesn't matter a lot...

In GEAR » waterproof zippers vs. storm flaps?
April 12, 11:29am

Re: Another refiller
To avoid overfill you could do it by weight. Make sure re-filled canister is 13 ounces (or whatever) or less. Weigh the from and to canisters to see how much they each have and calculate if it&...

In GEAR » Refilling Gas Canisters
April 12, 11:22am

Re: Re: Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you?
">What do you guys do for shirts???? Shirts? I don't need no stinking shirts. I hike topless." I sometimes hike topless. Some younger lady referred to someone as t...

In GEAR » Canister failure: has this happened to you?
April 12, 11:15am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.