BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4471 - 4480 of 7296 | Page: 1 ...439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ...730

Forum » Thread

Re: Romney/Ryan 2012
"As far as I'm concerned, it's "A plague on both your houses!" If I can't find a decent third party candidate," This is my day to disagree with my friend Mary : )...

In Chaff » Romney/Ryan 2012
August 12, 10:00am

Re: Romney/Ryan 2012
"Unless the president drops dead (and both candidates look pretty healthy), the vice president has pretty much zero effect politically" Choosing Sarah Palin had a large effect Some ...

August 12, 9:43am

Re: Re: Romney/Ryan 2012
"It's the end of the 80 year economic cycle. No side wants to hold the bag." Is it also a 80 year political cycle? In the 1920s the wealthy had a larger share of the pie. "...

August 12, 8:12am

Re: Your MYOG Best and Worst
Worst: Pyramid I made in 1972 - heavy, too many straps and things, not waterproof, heavy pole, never used it much. Synthetic vest I made in 1974 - asymetric and generally not very well done,...

In Make Your Own Gear » Your MYOG Best and Worst
August 10, 10:14pm

Re: Re: TP Puree
If you dig a hole, #2, TP, urinate, stir, like 100 feet from campsite, then put several inches of soil on top you're good. It's so easy to carry out the TP you can do that. If so, you s...

In Philosophy & Technique » Used Toilet Paper - Pack it out!
August 10, 3:55pm

Re: Used Toilet Paper - Pack it out!
And if you urinate on it after burying it, and get the whole area wet, that helps. Plus the combination of #1 and #2 decomposes faster.

August 09, 5:05pm

Re: LNT
I always pick up trash. Usually, all I see are little bits - rubber band, plastic bag twist tie, corner of a candy bar,... I think that if all this "micro trash" is picked up, the nex...

August 09, 4:46pm

Re: TP
Good comments - no need to be sorry I've been where there is loose TP and p00p on the ground, I agree, not good I've been to many sites that I know had been used many times before me...

In GEAR » A Series of Newbie Questions
August 09, 3:48pm

Re: A Series of Newbie Questions
Do people really not use TP or carry it out? I just bury along with p00p. As long as I'm in a biologically active area, like there are roots around, it decomposes within a year. The paper ...

In GEAR » A Series of Newbie Questions
August 09, 2:30pm

Re: Typos and research
"...undersea volcanoes...there have been a lot more discovered..." So that's your story - there are a lot more undersea volcanoes than we thought so that must be the source of the ...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
August 09, 8:22am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.