BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4461 - 4470 of 5371 | Page: 1 ...438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Keg capacity?
Yes, you can boil water almost to the top (at the top and it will boil over. You need to use a little more fuel in the stove, which seems to generate a little higher flame. I do this sometimes when...

In GEAR » Caldera Keg for 2 people?
June 08, 3:37pm

Re: study does not appear to be industry funded
So as they say on Mythbusters, "Plausible."

In GEAR » Trekking Pole Science
June 08, 8:04am

Re: Re: Re: nice
"Sounds like a pretty good preamble to the constitution for that new government." Maybe. Haven't seen Craig post in awhile. Maybe he took up my suggestion to read Atlas Shrugged......

In Post-Trip Reports » Craig and Nick's Excellent Adventure
June 07, 9:06pm

Re: works for me (and someone else)
I usually pack the Caldera set-up towards the top of my pack, or in a pocket. But have carried it a lot lower, in the pack, with no damage. The Keg is pretty tough.

June 07, 6:52pm

Re: Re: Craig and Nick's Excellent Adventure
Tom, No shelter carried. Zero chance of percipitation. Last year I had about the same weight with a poncho/tarp on the same trip. The difference this year were some luxury items I took, which in...

In Post-Trip Reports » Craig and Nick's Excellent Adventure
June 07, 6:49pm

Re: BPL beartooth merino hoody sizing
I am 5'11' and weigh somewhere between 150 and 160. My BPL Merino Hoody is the only small garmet I own. I usually wear large shirts, because I like things loose on me. The small hoody fits ...

In GEAR » BPL beartooth merino hoody sizing
June 07, 11:48am

Re: Caldera Keg for 2 people?
I have a Foster's Keg. Holds about 24 oz of water. Weighs about 3.8 oz. You will need to double the amount of fuel, if two people use it. Will you just boil water, or eat out of the Keg? You co...

June 07, 11:44am

Re: Timex
+ 3

In GEAR » watch suggestions
June 06, 5:58pm

Re: Trekking Pole Science
I doubt we can 100% scientifically determine the advantage/disadvantage of trekking poles. Too many variables between individuals. Maybe if we did similar tests on individuals with and withoug pole...

In GEAR » Trekking Pole Science
June 05, 12:42pm

Re: to be more specific
All we can really discuss is what works best for each individual. What works for me, may not work at all for someone else. All of us might see something that we had not thought about, but would be ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best Practices: Saving Time in the Morning
June 04, 3:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am