BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4451 - 4460 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 ...542

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What's everyone wearing?
My preference is Rail Rider eco mesh pants and shirts. Fairly frill free, except for the side zippers on the outside of the pant legs, but you will appreciate the cooling properties of the mesh in ...

In GEAR » Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What are the options?
June 22, 11:22am

Re: tarp poles in wind
With most tarps and tarp tents, there is enough tension to keep the poles in place if it is properly pitched. The only concern is if you hit the pole with enough force to move it. With a plain tarp...

In GEAR » tarp poles in wind
June 22, 11:18am

Re: Backpack - G4? Jam? Pinnacle?
"Although I know Daniel can cover more miles in a day and by doing that we would drastically reduce our need for food, I would like to stick with his plan." Excellent! It is his hike, ...

In Gear Lists » JMT Hike by Boy Scout
June 22, 12:36am

Re: 10 days on the CT, no resupply.
Rich, I am about your size and can easily eat a 2 person MH meal. Even on the first night, if I hike hard. Instant oatmeal doesn't take up much space, and 2 packets (what I eat for breakf...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 10 days on the CT, no resupply.
June 21, 7:39pm

Re: Re: What kind of UL backpack can fit a Bearikade Expedition?
For trul UL packs, you need to go with the cottage manufacturers. The exception is GoLite, which I have seen at REI. Can't speak for any of the models. Some Websites you might want to check out...

In Gear Lists » JMT Hike by Boy Scout
June 21, 1:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Lightest Ever
Ben, I haven't worked at the details for trail head parking, the last part of the loop, or water sources. But it is something like this... San Bernadino Peak Trail near Angeles Oaks and h...

In GEAR » Lightest Ever
June 21, 1:12pm

Re: Re: TR: GSMNP Campsite 39 Pretty Hollow Gap Trail
I think the last picture is great too!

In Post-Trip Reports » TR: GSMNP Campsite 39 Pretty Hollow Gap Trail
June 21, 11:43am

Re: Re:
I have never had an injury that required more than a bandaid, small gauze, first aid ointment, or tape. Not to say it cannot happen. Just pay attention and don't take unneccessary chances. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » First Aid Packing List
June 21, 11:39am

Re: tent technique in snow (Shasta)
First... I am not a snow expert, but have done my share of snow camping. Can you just use a tarp if chances of snow is nil? You can buy snow stakes or anchors. In past years I used snow stake...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » tent technique in snow (Shasta)
June 21, 10:21am

Re: Lightest Ever
It can be done, and with enough gear to be comfortable. I do it a lot, but not truly 3 season. Here is a sample with no cuben. The shelter would not have been appropriate in heavy rain or snow, as ...

In GEAR » Lightest Ever
June 21, 9:46am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am