BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4441 - 4450 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: People are ruining backpacking.
Gosh Rich, You sure seem upset. How on earth can other folks' opinions ruin backpacking for you or anyone else? I have been here for a couple of years. Been hiking for decades. Now that m...

In Chaff » People are ruining backpacking.
July 15, 6:41pm

Re: backpacking with non ULers/newbs
>> Do you guys just not hike with people that you can't outfit Yes, or to be more precise I don't provide their gear. So that has limited my group hikes to one hike with one other ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking with non ULers/newbs
July 15, 5:42pm

Re: UL REI STYLE - Yes it CAN Be Done
Sure, it can be done. And I can probably to it at most big box sporting goods stores. But once someone has some additional knowledge, most of this gear will no longer be used. There are just too ma...

In GEAR » UL REI STYLE - Yes it CAN Be Done
July 14, 9:05pm

Re: Potlifter for Heineken Kegs?
I use a Trail Designs silicone band on the middle part or a glove.

In Make Your Own Gear » Heineken Kegs...New shape?
July 12, 10:11pm

Re: Saving time for hiking
So what is the hurry? I can easily do 20+ miles per day, and cook both breakfast and dinner. Those "leisurely" meals are part of the fun for me. I also manage to take a few rest breaks du...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Saving time for hiking
July 12, 10:09pm

Re: Re: bogus versus good info on nutrition
@ Miguel - congratulations on resolving part of your situation with diet. I think we rely to heavily on drugs to help us stay/get healthy, but of course they are helpful/neccessary at times. You...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » JMT bear canister advice: pack low volume food!
July 03, 11:59am

Re: North Face Triumph on Sale at REI
Thanks, Art. I saw this a few days ago and thought about it. I really don't like an anorak, and it is heavier and more expensive on sale than my Marmot Essesnce. Also looks like the chest pocke...

In GEAR » North Face Triumph on Sale at REI
July 03, 11:42am

Re: Using Google Earth for Trip Planning
I've tried it and have found it not all that helpful. For me it is more of a fun toy to play with. But I am sure some folks have really dialed in all the features and tools. Here is how I us...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Using Google Earth for Trip Planning
July 03, 11:38am

So what about the bear?
Oh... I forgot what the thread was about :) The Red River Gorge area was re-opened today. The bear officials think attacked the hiker was spotted about 17 miles away near a trash dumpster. So it...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Attack at Red River Gorge in Ky
July 02, 6:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Deuter ACT Lite vs Waay lighter pack question
Hey Courtenay, I have a smaller Deuter pack and it is well made and very comfortable. I bought it based on many good reviews of Deuter products. I don't use it much any more, because it is b...

In GEAR » Deuter ACT Lite vs Waay ligher pack question
July 02, 2:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am