BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4441 - 4450 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: bogus versus good info on nutrition
@ Miguel - congratulations on resolving part of your situation with diet. I think we rely to heavily on drugs to help us stay/get healthy, but of course they are helpful/neccessary at times. You...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » JMT bear canister advice: pack low volume food!
July 03, 11:59am

Re: North Face Triumph on Sale at REI
Thanks, Art. I saw this a few days ago and thought about it. I really don't like an anorak, and it is heavier and more expensive on sale than my Marmot Essesnce. Also looks like the chest pocke...

In GEAR » North Face Triumph on Sale at REI
July 03, 11:42am

Re: Using Google Earth for Trip Planning
I've tried it and have found it not all that helpful. For me it is more of a fun toy to play with. But I am sure some folks have really dialed in all the features and tools. Here is how I us...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Using Google Earth for Trip Planning
July 03, 11:38am

So what about the bear?
Oh... I forgot what the thread was about :) The Red River Gorge area was re-opened today. The bear officials think attacked the hiker was spotted about 17 miles away near a trash dumpster. So it...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Attack at Red River Gorge in Ky
July 02, 6:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Deuter ACT Lite vs Waay lighter pack question
Hey Courtenay, I have a smaller Deuter pack and it is well made and very comfortable. I bought it based on many good reviews of Deuter products. I don't use it much any more, because it is b...

In GEAR » Deuter ACT Lite vs Waay ligher pack question
July 02, 2:52pm

Re: Hearing the Voices of Experience
Well, I hope we are all out there like James!! We have to keep in mind that there is no right way, and there is nothing wrong at all with a few luxuries. There are some extemely experienced and ...

In GEAR » Evolution of UL Hiker
July 02, 2:45pm

Re: counting calories
> Maybe you've converged more on a standard menu than I have. I'm still experimenting with new foods, like ghee. Yeah, I'm not much of an experimenter. Drives my wife nuts. If she...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » JMT bear canister advice: pack low volume food!
July 02, 2:37pm

Re: calories
Calorie requirements vary by person and the type of hike (e.g. miles, elevation gain, etc.). I don't plan meals by calories at all. I know how much I need to eat, based on the types of food I t...

July 02, 8:28am

Re: First Look: Osprey Hornet 46
I think a lot of people do not know what is going on here. Osprey is working with BPL to test this new pack. They gave packs to 10 M-Life members for evaluation. No charge. However, you cannot sell...

In GEAR » First Look: Osprey Hornet 46
July 02, 4:58am

Re: Heineken Kegs...New shape?
Every man should have a RotoZip cut-off tool and/or a Dremel in his toolbox. Adjust it to a slow speed and secure the can. I haven't tried it one an aluminum can. But have cut up all kinds of m...

In Make Your Own Gear » Heineken Kegs...New shape?
July 02, 4:44am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am