BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4431 - 4440 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Spinnshelter vs. Other Tarps
The SpinnShelter only weighs 8.8 oz. Added weight is for a net. Nets are a personal thing... bugs don't bother me. Even in the High Sierras, when people complain about mosquitos, I can get by w...

In GEAR » Want to get into tarping, need advice
June 16, 10:01am

Re: Okay for a start, but lacking...
For the "traditional" backpacker, it is a good start. For those seriously interested in lightening more, the can find this site on the Web. We all found it. An from here, research can exp...

In GEAR » Backpacking Light @ REI = LOL
June 16, 8:25am

Re: Want to get into tarping, need advice
I also have a SpinTwin. Great tarp, like everyone else stated. We don't get as much rain where I live, and don't use a bivy. The tarp can be used as a two person shelter, so there is enough...

In GEAR » Want to get into tarping, need advice
June 16, 8:19am

Re: Re: Questions for Steve and Lynn or others
Thanks, Steve. That helps a lot.

In GEAR » Bivy + Cuben Fiber/Down Quilt
June 15, 9:55pm

Re: Re: Questions for Steve and Lynn or others
Thanks, Lynn. Now I remember reading that thread. Answered most of my questions. Looks like I need this more than my wife needs the new dishwasher :)

June 15, 6:02pm

Questions for Steve and Lynn or others
Okay, I am really intrigued about your systems. Some questions: - The quilts are pretty much water proof and non-breathable. I have plenty of experience with vabor liners. How to you feel your q...

June 15, 4:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Will umbrella reduce water need?
I think an umbrella with reflective material may do more than we think. The extra shade will do a lot. In the heat of the summer, the difference between direct sun and shade is significant, especia...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Desert hiking
June 15, 4:08pm

Re: "Backpacking Light @ REI = LOL"
Given the medium (rei.com) I think it is a fairly good article. Given the perspective of most here on BPL, yes it does miss the mark for most of us. But I have bought some light stuff from REI such...

In GEAR » Backpacking Light @ REI = LOL
June 15, 4:00pm

Re: 24 hour trip out of Santa Barabara, CA
Scott, I am not super familiar with the area, but the Los Padres forest is less than an hour away. I have done some hiking the the area. It gets hot in the summer, and water can be an issue. I a...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 24 hour trip out of Santa Barabara, CA
June 15, 2:39pm

Re: This thread is more for people with NON-minimalist packs...
Aha! Actually, you make a good point about cutting stuff off. I accidently cut a strap off my ULA Conduit too short a year or two ago. Had to send it to ULA, who were great about installing a new o...

In GEAR » CHALLENGE: How many ounces can you cut from your pack?
June 15, 1:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am