BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4421 - 4430 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: you sound just like Thoreau
American Transcendentalism is a religion, and part of the aftermath of the Great Awaking of the early 18th century. During the late 18th and 19th century, we see hundreds of sects and utopian socie...

In Chaff » How do you save money and live a simple life?
August 06, 11:24am

Re: re: tattoos
Tatoos are non-functional weight added to the FSO :)

In Chaff » Hiking related Tatoo's
August 06, 10:17am

Re: you sound just like Thoreau
Yes I do sound like Thoreau. I am a champion of individualism. My focus is on the rational self-interest of the individual. T & E urged people to become thinkers by studying nature, history...

August 06, 3:53am

Re: Emerson & Thoreau
Cary, Americans hold Emerson & Thoreau more highly than the rest of Western civilization. They are important to the American experience. Thus my comment on western civilization in the same s...

August 06, 12:14am

Re: Personal Preference
I have two hydration systems that were given to me a long time ago. One is a Platy the other a Camelbak. I use the Platy once in a blue moon for day hikes. Never have used the Camelback, don't ...

In GEAR » Hate to sound like an idiot but...
August 05, 11:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SoCal
Well maybe not on the trails, but most certainly on the freeways!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Southern California
August 05, 11:03pm

Re: Piece by piece review
>> I got on this site a little over a year ago. Best thing I did was to go through my pack and look at every piece of gear I had and ask "do I need it?". This is so true. For 20 ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New pack please help new to UL
August 05, 2:19pm

Re: Salt/Knorr/Mountain House
Great topic. I always do boil and pour meals. For you nutritionists out there, is extra salt really bad for us given the amount of exertion? For example after several days of desert hiking when ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Experiment(s) With Knorr Side Dishes
August 05, 2:08pm

Re: Hate to sound like an idiot but...
No, you do not sound like an idiot... I think the hydration systems started out designed for runners. Small packs that could hold little more than the bladder and hugged the body, to make runnin...

In GEAR » Hate to sound like an idiot but...
August 05, 1:15am

Re: Summer Reading Recommendations
There are very few modern novels I have an interest in. But I do read quite a bit. Just finished two of Victor Hugo's works, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and "Les Miserables&quo...

In Other Activities » Summer Reading Recommendations
August 04, 3:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am