Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 441 - 450 of 672 | Page: 1 ...36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Tarp size for 1.5
Another example of a great 1.5 Tarp is the Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn or SilTwinn. They have a Cat cut and therefore are primarily used in an A Frame pitch.

In GEAR » Tarp size for 1.5
April 06, 9:36am

Necessity is the mother of invention
One of the most important drivers for any radical improvement in technology is money. When gas prices hit $4/gallon in 2007/2008 it sparked a mini-boom in vehicle efficiency. Now you see countles...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
April 05, 3:03pm

Re: Hooded Jackets
I think hooded makes a lot of sense for outer insulation if you expect very windy conditions. I don't have hoods on my milder insulation like Down Sweater or Nano Puff because I generally use ...

In GEAR » Hooded insulation cons/pros?
April 04, 6:15pm

Re: State of Texas water plan acknowledges climate change
"Interesting that all the Republican candidates for president, and almost all Republican politicians refuse to acknowledge that the climate is changing." I think what you will find is ...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
April 04, 6:01pm

Re: Golite Jam modifications
Aaron, I had a mesh pocket made for my Jam and am seriously considering cutting off the existing zippered pocket. I put up a post on a similar thread below with pictures. http://www.backpac...

In GEAR » Golite Jam modifications
April 04, 4:15pm

Re: Jam question
Very timely question. I just had a mesh pocket made for my Jam by a lady Katharina Pierini that I found out about from this site http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/mountaingoatgear...

In GEAR » Jam question
April 04, 3:49pm

Re: Re: Re: CT in May
Depends on the altitude, but just to give you an example. The normal temps for Leadville, CO (which is a little over 10,000ft) is lows in the upper 20's and highs in the low to upper 50's ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » CT in May
April 02, 1:04pm

Re: CT in May
In a normal year I would say the first few sections closer to Denver or the few sections closer to Durango would be ok in May. This year may have some expanded possibilities with little snow, howe...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » CT in May
April 02, 12:00pm

Re: 5'x8' Tarp with Net Tent
That is too small a Tarp for a Net Tent. 1] The reason is because a 5x8 tarp would typically require a Bivy if it was raining (i.e., to protect against wind blown rain) 2] If there is no ri...

In GEAR » 5'x8' Tarp with Net Tent
April 02, 8:11am

Re: Backcountry Boiler Maintenance
I used Baking Soda and a scouring pad though I have heard Devin recommends Oven cleaner. I will be using alcohol in my BCB for now on because I can't stand the smell of the soot.

In GEAR » Backcountry Boiler Maintenance
March 28, 8:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm