BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 441 - 450 of 557 | Page: 1 ...36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: CDC is alarmist.
A vigorous or rolling boil is recommended as it is an easy visual cue that the water is above the temperatures needed to render the water safe to drink, without using a thermometer. My understa...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Water - How hot is hot enough?
November 24, 7:36am

Re: Re: Erm, which taxes would those be?
@Rick - That's a good point. Tourists also pay lodging taxes and rental car taxes, they may also purchase hunting and fishing licenses. New Hampshire encourages tourism (including hiking and...

In Winter Hiking » N.H. Bills Lost Hikers $25K
November 01, 10:51am

Re: High temp for wool?
Used my Smartwool microweight T's all summer here in hot and humid Houston...

In GEAR » High temp for wool?
October 31, 4:10pm

Re: Re: Old issues of Backpacker are online.
I browsed through these old issues on Google Books several months ago (I also remember reading the originals when I was in high school). Somehow Backpacker's latest incarnation just doesn't...

In On the Web » Old issues of Backpacker are online.
October 17, 2:07pm

Re: Re: BPL Summer backpacking course
>>After seeing about 1/2 of the pictures, the next function just hung with the circular "processing" symbol displayed. Has anyone been able to get throught the complete slide show o...

In Post-Trip Reports » BPL Summer backpacking course
October 03, 9:03pm

Re: getting down to 10
Adding to Steven's ideas -- Use your bandanna as a washcloth Eliminate as many stuff sacks as possible, rely on the pack liner to keep your bag dry Leave the extra briefs home Ruthlessly cu...

In Gear Lists » Getting from 13 to down to 10?
September 19, 6:17pm

Re: re: Golite Website - concern
The Wisp and the Ether are still there -- under Performance clothing. Don't see the Reed pants...

In GEAR » Golite Website
August 29, 6:35am

Re: UL Economics of scale: Budgeting for your pack & Wallet
>>If I were making $100,000 a year, maybe two hundred dollars a month wouldn't be all that much. No, it's still a chunk of dough. When you stop thinking critically about your budge...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Economies of Scale: Budgeting for Your Pack & Wallet
August 25, 6:36pm

Re: Gear for Presidentials in Oct.
I think you'll have a tough time taking 6 days to cover the Presidential Range -- 3 days should be enough. You could start in Gorham, and hike to Crawford Notch, which would cover the Carter Ra...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Gear for Presidentials in Oct.
August 23, 7:14am

Re: mountain house rib-eye
I remember those too. In fact, I actually tried them (along with the similar pork chops). They had to be rehydrated in an enzyme/water solution, and then cooked. I only tried them once - the result...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Steak!
August 22, 12:00pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm