BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 441 - 450 of 497 | Page: 1 ...31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Forum » Thread

FF Humming Bird 35+ years and still going...
I have a FF Hummingbird that I carried on the PCT and half of the CDT that is still going strong. I purchased it in the mid 70's when they were a new company. My son has been using it but, ...

In GEAR » How long did your down bag last?
May 05, 8:17am

Hot Water!
I don't consider it a luxury item but it is the heaviest thing in my pack at 21oz...24" wide down mat. In the past I would say the one luxury item I carried fairly regularly was a 3lb pro...

In GEAR » What is YOUR luxury item
May 05, 8:12am

Only One!
I am down to only one pack now for all overnight to multi week trips. It is an SMD 2006 Starlight. I have been resisting the temptation but have come REALLY close to pulling the trigger on the ne...

In GEAR » Favorite UL Backpack
May 04, 10:22am

More Cottage Industry Reviews
I too must admit that I joined to have access to reviews on less mainstream products that aren't reviewed by other sites or publications. I suspect that much of it has to do with the economics...

In GEAR » BPL reviews etc.
May 01, 7:13pm

Bag Stuffing
I put my quilt/bag in the BA Pumphouse sack that is more than big enough. I prefer an easy stuff into the sack and if I need further compression it happens once the bag (in it's sack) is in to...

In GEAR » Packing your sleeping bag
May 01, 9:00am

****SOLD******
Thanks Chad!

In Gear Swap » FS Feathered Friends Jackorack
May 01, 8:43am

See through netting
+1 on the netting. I find the bit of stretch beneficial as well as being able to see what is in the bag and where it is located. I then have one big pack liner (compactor bag) that keeps out the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » lol: world's lightest stuff sacs
April 30, 11:21am

Nice Work
I too have been contemplating a weight reduction plan for my JetBoil. I really like the convenience of the whole pkg but it certainly could be lighter. My guess was that 8oz was a minimum and you...

In Make Your Own Gear » Lightning my Jetboil
April 30, 9:08am

Weights by item
For those that have requested a breakdown of weight by item, here goes: Fly with guylines and tensioners 8.4oz Mesh inner with floor 11.5oz Poles 3.3oz 10 Ti skewers 0.8oz Total ...

In Gear Swap » Terra Nova Bivy Tarp Tent FS
April 30, 8:54am

Inner mesh
Yes, the inner mesh is a stand alone item and attaches by a clip/buckle at either end. It is adjustable for a higher or lower pitch. I don't know the weight of just the mesh but I can weigh e...

In Gear Swap » Terra Nova Bivy Tarp Tent FS
April 29, 1:22pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am