Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Kevin Babione (KBabione) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pennsylvania
About Me I live near Lancaster PA and do most of my backpacking in the central and north-central parts of the state.
CityLititz
StatePA
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kevin Babione

Showing 441 - 450 of 621 | Page: 1 ...36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ...63

Forum » Thread

Four Preschoolers on the AT
This past weekend I took my 4 ½ year-old twins for their first backpacking trip (a simple one-nighter). Accompanying us were two other dads (Matt and Bernie) and their 3 ½ year-old daughters. I...

In Post-Trip Reports » Four Preschoolers on the AT
May 04, 9:51am

Carrying a Saw
I'll admit to owning a 15" folding Sven Saw at a whopping 10.58 ounces. Several of the guys with whom I hike feel that the campfire is the sole reason to be in the woods. They like scrou...

In GEAR » Is it ever worth it to carry a saw?
April 25, 10:31am

Alcohol Vs. Jetboil Vs. Wood
I just bought a Woodlore woodgas stove from Antig Outdoors to solve this very issue. I also own a Jetboil and two Caldera Cones (one for a 640 ml pot and a Compact CC for a 1 L pasta pot). The ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » alcohol stove vs jetboil weight
April 25, 7:21am

Murmur Back Pad
GG sells their Torso-length Nightlight pad that is scored to fold into thirds and fits perfectly in the Murmur. It's a 1/2" pad (1/4" in the dimples) that's as comfortable as the...

In GEAR » Murmur back pad
April 25, 6:28am

GG Murmur Max Weight
My pack weight in my Murmur averages around 16 pounds at the start of a weekend trip. I did add an additional 3 liters of water once for the last two miles of the day (we wanted to sleep up on top...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear Murmur
April 21, 11:01am

Learning how to pitch a tarp
I also use the same tensioners as Nick. I do almost all of my backpacking in the rocky mountains (they'd be minor foothills to those of you out west) of Pennsylvania. My first attempt to stak...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learning how to pitch a tarp
April 12, 6:48am

Learning to Tarp Camp
I did my first tarp trip using BPL's "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping" (currently out of stock but a good read if you can get one). I wasn't sure how I'd like tarping so ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learning how to pitch a tarp
April 09, 11:11am

Gatewood Cape in the Rain
I'm also a 6-footer and love my GC. I don't use a bivy and pitch it as high as the weather allows. If it looks like we'll have lots of wind and rain I'll pack a 13-gallon tall kit...

In GEAR » Gatewood Cape good in the PNW?
April 08, 8:23am

Murmur
Nice photos Nick - it really helps show the capacity of the Murmur. I added the GG Hipbelt pockets (modified for the narrow hipbelt) to keep things like the camera and snacks readily accessible.

In GEAR » Question for you 5# - 6# base weight guys
April 07, 5:47am

Hammock Knots - Marlin Spike Hitch
I use Whoopie Slings with my Speer hammock and connect them to my tree straps using the Marlin Spike Hitch. It's not so much a knot as it is a technique, but it works quite well. Here'...

In Hammocks » UL under insulation
April 05, 10:49am

All Reader Reviews by Kevin Babione

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Extremely Light Down Jacket
I'm a big guy and have the Ex Light in XXL - weighs 7.8 ounces. In addition to being a great piece of insulation to wear I've found that I can use it in my hammock as an extra top quilt by op...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 03, 1:42pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just finished reading the book - it's an enjoyable and quick read. I've got two weekend trips planned this spring with guys who have never backpacked in their lives. I'm passing the bo...

In Books and Media
March 28, 5:52am