BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4391 - 4400 of 5371 | Page: 1 ...431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: Shasta Trip Report (Video Documentary)
I really enjoyed it. Amazing what someone can do with one of these compact cameras.

In Post-Trip Reports » Shasta Trip Report ( Video Documentary)
June 29, 7:46pm

Re: Shasta
Sounds like you had a lot fun, a new type of camping, and additional knowledge/experience. Can't beat that. Altitude affects people in different ways. You made the right decision to skip the...

In Post-Trip Reports » Shasta
June 29, 7:25pm

Re: eyeglass repair
Most are fairly standard. There are little kits you can buy at department stores that have screws, small screw driver and other spare parts. Usually cost a couple bucks.

In Philosophy & Technique » eyeglass repair
June 29, 7:04pm

Re: Esbit Questions
Bob, Thank you very much! Lots of good information. I was aware of the lack of availability on long hikes. Great tip on the hand sanitizer in windy conditions. I did a test with about 16 oz and ...

In GEAR » Esbit Questions
June 28, 1:45pm

Esbit Questions
My latest gear acquisition is a Caldera Cone GVP. I have some questions about Esbit in general. 1. Packaging is bulky. If I repackage into a Ziploc or Aloksak bag and store it in the Keg (about ...

In GEAR » Esbit Questions
June 28, 12:26pm

Re: Little table
Tree stump, log, or flat rock.

In GEAR » Little table
June 28, 9:00am

Re: JMT weather
Usually no rain. Sometimes chance of afternoon thunder showers. Can rain cats and dogs occasionally. Check weather forecast prior to trip (usually you can get a 10 day forecast), if you trust meteo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT weather
June 25, 10:19am

Re: Montbell Wind Jacket
Certainly light. It is one of my main windshirts. But if you are exterting yourself, it does not breath well. I sometimes use a Marmot Essence as a combination wind/rain shell. Breathes much better...

In GEAR » Best Wind Shirt?
June 25, 10:16am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppies and homeless folks
What is risk? 1%, 50%, 99% ? Life is a risk. No guarantee that any of us will be here tomorrow. I would not risk my life for anyone or anything if the probability of death was high (whatever ...

In Chaff » Terrorists finding a way in
June 24, 12:59pm

Re: my "help change the first number to 5" list :)
If you really want to get to 5 or lower, you will need to spend a little money. But here is how I would do it. Pack- GG Murmur w/o pads & trip straps (save 5.1 oz) Replace sit pad and air...

In Gear Lists » my "help change the first number to 5" list :)
June 24, 2:08am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am