Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4381 - 4390 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 ...552

Forum » Thread

McHale Packs -- Observations & Comments
As I mentioned previously in another thread, I am in the process of getting one of Dan’s packs. I have seen several questions about McHale packs and the process, so I thought I would start chroni...

In GEAR » McHale Packs -- Observations & Comments
September 27, 2:05am

Re: Re: Snowshoes
Matt, Our snow often gets soft during the day... typically warmer days than other parts of the country. Of course, we do get those cold spells where it stays below freezing for many days. Mounta...

In GEAR » Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
September 26, 6:10pm

Re: Re: favorite camping music
The sound of silence. :) Ben, +1 Unless you are talking about Simon & Garfunkel, then -1 (although I like their music).

In Philosophy & Technique » Favorite Camping Music?
September 26, 5:39pm

Re: Beard
No comment, other than razors suck.

In GEAR » When to say when?
September 24, 4:14pm

Re: My Fall 2010 overnight trip list
"Not UL but much lighter than ever before." That is a great start. I am not going to offer any suggestions on your gear list. Go out and use it, and slowly refine it. But I will sug...

In Gear Lists » My Fall 2010 overnight trip list
September 24, 4:06pm

Re: Re: Re: Windpro
The only stove I have seen that is set-up to me inverted is the Helios... too heavy. Also (as Roger stated), the WindPro needs to be lit in the normal configuration first, then invert the canist...

In GEAR » Finalizing other winter gear - feedback appreciated
September 24, 3:43pm

Henry Shires - Great Service!
So, 3 days ago I ordered the Scarp 1 online from TarpTents in the late afternoon (around 3:30PM). Henry's Website said it was not in stock yet. That was fine. I chose the cheapest shipping opti...

In GEAR » MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow? Need feedback, please.
September 24, 3:36pm

Re: Re: Tumpline
Eric, Not being combative here. If the packs did not have waist belts and weighed 45-50lbs, wouldn't it be better to get a back that is built to carry that amount of weight and transfer most...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tumpline
September 24, 11:56am

Re: winter condensation
I can avoid the condensation with a VB liner. But as mentioned, they are somewhat of a hassle, and you have to almost sleep nude and you will feel clammy. From what I have read, the body is goi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Winter camping=damp bag. Why?
September 24, 10:50am

Re: Winter stove
Eric and Stuart, Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I am aware of the limitations of canisters, and don't intend to use the Windpro when the temperature will down to near 20F. I do want to exp...

In GEAR » Finalizing other winter gear - feedback appreciated
September 24, 10:24am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am