BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4351 - 4360 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Tarping!
Eric, Before you start buying a lot of gear, just get out with your gear and get used to it, and find out what you like and dislike. Then ask more questions here. Also keep in mind that most of ...

In Gear Lists » Weekender Gear List
September 16, 7:16pm

Re: Re: North rim campground
Well Craig, I know that hiking an extra 3 miles each way and stealth camping will not be a new experience for you :)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon sub 36 hours
September 16, 6:58pm

Re: High Sierra Trail loop gear list
Andrew, The sleeping bag might be pushing it if it is colder. Also I have heard that the Neoair needs additional insulation in sub-freezing temps.

In Gear Lists » High Sierra Trail loop gear list
September 16, 6:55pm

Re: pack details
Gosh, All this banging on Roger. How else would he review the packs if not from his own point of view, based on many years of backpacking experience. Would we prefer a reviewer with little exper...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 16, 6:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: neo air
Bummer. If I sold something that had an unknown defect, I would immediately take it back or work something out with the buyer. My name and reputation are infinitely more valuable than a few bucks.

In GEAR » New (?) NeoAir losing air?
September 16, 6:38pm

Re: the "Do it all Pack"
Probably a McHale. Either a larger LBP or a SARC.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » the "Do it all Pack"
September 16, 6:34pm

Re: Anyone "train" for hiking?
I have found that the best training for hiking is hiking. Luckily I can get to a trail within minutes of my house. Everything else just does not do it. Distance running helps for building your ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone "train" for hiking?
September 15, 7:30pm

Re: If you were hiking 1,000 miles in a summer...
The limiting factor is supply points for food and fuel. Maybe water in some areas. Also, will specialized gear be needed in certain areas. Really it is just a whole bunch overnight hikes laid en...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » If you were hiking 1,000 miles in a summer...
September 15, 2:49pm

Re: Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
Aha! The "what is best" conversation. So what should a pack do? - Carry & protect our gear. - Allow us to access our gear in an effective, efficient, and functional manner. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 15, 2:42pm

Re: Re: Re: "BPL RANK"
I would add a Saruman Staff. Keep everything else. Do you have a shelter for your pet Hobbit?

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL RANK
September 15, 1:04am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am