BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4351 - 4360 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: pros and cons
When I posted the link to the original story, I just knew that it would degrade into this debate :( Benjamin... Well, what can I say? That is the funniest post I have seen in a long time!!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 1 dead, 2 injured in Montana bear attack
July 30, 12:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Lighters
Without a doubt the most reliable is the Bic. The cheap clear ones will fail or leak on you when you need it most. I find matches more convenient for lighting most stoves. I usually bring a book...

In Philosophy & Technique » disposable lighters with visible butane level?
July 30, 2:42am

Re: Stealth Nano Guyline length recommendations
I almost always use a tarp in A Frame mode. For the ridgeline ties outs about 8' (cantenary cuts usually not as long in back). You will usually not use one cord to run under the ridgline of the...

In Make Your Own Gear » Stealth Nano Guyline length recommendations
July 30, 2:24am

Re: Re: iPhone
Lets face it, we live in a technology driven world. We have 3 choices: 1. Ignore it 2. Leverage it to make our lives more simple 3. Let it control our lives I do not have an iPhone. No need...

In Chaff » How do you save money and live a simple life?
July 29, 6:10pm

1 dead, 2 injured in Montana bear attack
Don't know if anyone already shared this story. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38451965/ns/us_news-life/

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 1 dead, 2 injured in Montana bear attack
July 28, 11:04pm

Re: "simple" life
Keep in mind that your dream job may not be what you trained and planned for. I started as an auto mechanic. Still in the automotive field, but mostly build software applications and do instruction...

July 28, 10:59pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Esbit Stoves
>> Esbit (hexamine) is a precurser used in making a high explosive and may trip 'sniffer' alarms at airports. That could be inconvenient. LOL. I can imagine that after being thrown...

In GEAR » Esbit Stoves
July 27, 1:26pm

Re: Re: Another way for heavier folks to lighten their load
I have seen many posts about light equipment turn into "you need to lose weight" threads. I am sure that those who could lose a few pounds are aware of it, and don't need someone to t...

In GEAR » Lightweight & Durable Rain / Wind gear -- What's available in size "Fat" XXL
July 27, 1:13pm

Re: Re: Goes both ways
But really, money is a poor thing to *save*, as it has no value in and of itself. http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/index.php?news=1826

July 27, 1:45am

Re: Trail Designs Caldera Cone Customer Service
Ah... the cottage industry. They are the best. And Rand is especially helpful, considering the profit margin on each kit is not much compared to a pack, quilt, or shelter.

In GEAR » Trail Designs Caldera Cone Customer Service
July 23, 7:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am