BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4341 - 4350 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: Winter stove
Eric and Stuart, Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I am aware of the limitations of canisters, and don't intend to use the Windpro when the temperature will down to near 20F. I do want to exp...

In GEAR » Finalizing other winter gear - feedback appreciated
September 24, 10:24am

Re: Re: shovel and avys
Bob, More than likely just a lack of common sense, knowledge, experience. Of course when it is a piece of our own equipment, then stupid is the very first thought that pops into our minds. :) ...

September 23, 8:42pm

Re: yea
Ike, I have no problem with someone making a couple bucks once in awhile. Now if someone is in business they also post on BPL... they just need to disclose that. But it does no good to critic...

In Gear Swap » Brand new with tags Eddie Bauer Downlight Medium Black
September 23, 11:15am

Re: Re: Re: Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
I think the important part of mesh versus GTX is more important in wet snow. Either shoe IS going to get water inside. With a VB or GTX sock, a lot of the water is going to be pushed back out of me...

In GEAR » Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
September 23, 9:25am

Re: Re: Cool
Tumpline should be adjusted according to the load and weight distribution. Could be at the bottom, middle, or other location. I would be cautious on this, as the chance of a neck muscle injury i...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tumpline
September 23, 9:12am

@ BCA shovel
That shovel is almost 6 oz lighter than mine. Cost is only $39. From a weight stand point, much better. Of course the question is how much weight are you really going to get on the shovel head, ...

September 23, 9:01am

Re: wind pro
Mike, "are you modifying the windpro at all for winter use (seen a couple of articles of folks modding them some)? will the canister invert or do you have to do something to get it to inver...

September 23, 8:56am

Re: food
Okay, I am no nutritionist. And we can all get by for a few days with little or no food. Mike's 20 oz per day @ 125 calories per oz = 2,500 calories. That should be enough for most "...

In Gear Lists » 8 pound base weight
September 22, 7:21pm

Re: Re: If ifs and buts were candy and nuts..................
ah... Craig, In my life, I do not "What if." But I do solve problems; how could I do this better, etc. That could be construed as a "what if." But I never, ever look at somet...

In Philosophy & Technique » What If?
September 22, 3:34pm

Re: Re: keep the shovel and the axe
You guys were quick to post... did it while I was responding to Craig. Of course we need to use whatever is available at the moment. So Bob's experience was good. In 3 seasons I go real...

September 22, 3:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am