BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4341 - 4350 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: MLD Cuben Solo Pro
Rich, There are a couple of recent posts of Steve Evan's MLD Cuben Poncho Tarp. It is almost the same size and weight as the Solo Pro and doubles as rain gear. He has several pictures. I ...

In GEAR » MLD Cuben Solo Pro
June 17, 2:39am

Re: Best next-to-skin layer
For tops depending on weather in no particular order - Calipene (different weights and used the least) - BPL Merino Hoody (awesome in many conditions) - Rail Riders Eco-Speed T is often my...

In GEAR » Best next-to-skin layer
June 17, 2:17am

Re: Start-up Tarp Business
Simple rule. Find a need and fill that need. Seems like the tarp business has a lot of competition already. Next big segment will probably cuben fiber, and a lot of the well known folks are alr...

In Gear Deals » Start-up Tarp Business
June 17, 1:27am

Re: NF Triumph anorak vs Marmot Essence vs Marmot Mica
No jacket is going to be truly breathable, waterproof, and windproof. I have a closet full of many brands to prove it :) The only thing I have not tried is eVent, and am not willing to buy anoth...

In GEAR » NF Triumph anorak vs Marmot Essence vs Marmot Mica
June 17, 12:04am

Re: Sleeping Pad Failure - poll
I need to qualify my answer. I hike a lot in deserts. And contrary to what many people think, finding a sandy spot to sleep is rare. Usually I have to contend with rocks, peebles, brush, etc. Not t...

In GEAR » Sleeping Pad Failure - poll
June 16, 11:30pm

Re: Did backpacking transform you?
I grew up in the city (L.A. area). Started trout fishing at 15 or 16. A friend and I started backpacking in high school to get to the better streams. After a while, I started leaving the pole and m...

In Philosophy & Technique » Did backpacking transform you?
June 16, 11:10pm

Re: Some ideas
"This goes back to what I said earlier about them including food and water in their numbers. From what I've seen most traditional backpackers don't use anything resembling the term bas...

In GEAR » Backpacking Light @ REI = LOL
June 16, 9:37pm

Re: Re: Sleeping Pad Failure - poll
Craig, +1. The exception is my BPL TorsoLite. But is is not that much more comfortable than a GG NightLight. It is pretty thin, but a good product.

In GEAR » Sleeping Pad Failure - poll
June 16, 9:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Spinnshelter vs. Other Tarps
The SpinnShelter only weighs 8.8 oz. Added weight is for a net. Nets are a personal thing... bugs don't bother me. Even in the High Sierras, when people complain about mosquitos, I can get by w...

In GEAR » Want to get into tarping, need advice
June 16, 10:01am

Re: Okay for a start, but lacking...
For the "traditional" backpacker, it is a good start. For those seriously interested in lightening more, the can find this site on the Web. We all found it. An from here, research can exp...

In GEAR » Backpacking Light @ REI = LOL
June 16, 8:25am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am