BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4321 - 4330 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: GTX Shoes for Dust
Greg, The only time I use GTX (Salomon brand)is on winter desert trips with lots of dust and no water to spare to clean my feet. They work well and keep my feet clean and dry.

In GEAR » GTX Shoes for Dust
September 01, 1:24am

Re: Re: Re: Re: San Diego
So when are us SoCal folks going to do some local trips? I thought we did. But you were the only other person who showed up :)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Southern California
August 26, 6:08pm

Re: Ultralight Radios
Do you bring a radio with you whenever you go on a hike? No, never. :)

In GEAR » Ultralight Radios
August 25, 8:03pm

Re: Has lightweight packing really caught on?
It is at least "catching on" because I have more equipment options. Other than that, I could care less. I usually don't hike with others and generally do not talk to those I meet o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Has lightweight packing really caught on?
August 25, 3:58pm

Re: Too many shelter options-I need to focus!
Get rid of the bug nets and the nano is the lightest and most versatile shelter in you collection. You live in calif, so bugs are not an issue IMO :)

In GEAR » Too many shelter options-I need to focus!
August 25, 3:30pm

Re: update harness on old old kelty pack?
I have a couple old Kelty externals. What is light? Have you weighed it? To answer your question, you might be able to get replacements/upgrades through Kelty. A16 used to make replacement/upgra...

In Make Your Own Gear » update harness on old old kelty pack?
August 19, 3:31pm

breaking free... start by hiking simply
Looks like this great thread has lost steam. So here are some thoughts... It is my belief that most people need to be productive, and for many this means working. I like to work. And I shall con...

In Chaff » How do you save money and live a simple life?
August 17, 3:29am

Re: Is a bivy necessary with a tarp?
For me... Tarp ~ 5' X 8' requires a bivy. Tarp ~ 8' X 10' does not require a bivy. A large ~ 8' X 10' cuben tarp is going to be lighter than almost all smaller tarp...

In GEAR » Is a bivy necessary with a tarp?
August 16, 1:04pm

Re: Wish List - One item Only
Invest the money. You have gotten by without "stuff."

In GEAR » Wish List - One item Only
August 10, 11:03pm

Re: Re: Re: PCT Pants
+1 on the Rail Riders.

In GEAR » PCT Pants
August 10, 1:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am