BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4311 - 4320 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: I don't like hiking.
I started backpacking to get to the better fishing spots. Soon I stopped taking the fishing gear because I liked the hiking better, and the fishing just became a distraction to the hike.

In Chaff » I don't like hiking.
September 10, 12:51am

Re: photos of your sleeping pad(s) with backpack?
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Gossamer Gear Murmu

In GEAR » photos of your sleeping pad(s) with backpack?
September 10, 12:49am

Re: Pack Recomendation
Fred, You have some very specific needs, probably outside of most folks' expertise here on BPL. Here is what I would do... contact Dan McHale at McHale Alpine Packs (www.mchalepacks.com)....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pack Recomendation
September 07, 9:49pm

Re: Re: Kili hike partner - I have wife permission!
Craig, Anytime starting at the beginning of October you want to go. Don't expect any snow before Thanksgiving. Ojas and I did a route from Idlywild last week (Marion Trail). That allowed ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Kilimanjaro
September 06, 11:56pm

Re: Kili hike partner - I have wife permission!
Joe, Thanks for the offer. I will definitely keep you in mind. I have several trips on my calendar over the next few weeks, so I am not going to spend any serious time researching until November...

September 06, 11:53pm

Re: TRT snow?
@ Dean "generally, I try to avoid SoCal" I generally try to avoid doctors :) -------------------------------------------------- A day out of San Diego would include So Sierras, A...

In Post-Trip Reports » If you had a weekend in the Southwest
September 03, 4:23pm

Re: I am going solo but?
Joshua, Sounds like you are risk-adverse or very careful. Stay on the trail and you will be fine. I, on the other hand, prefer solo and hikes that avoid other people. However, I do leave a d...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I am going solo but?
September 03, 4:00pm

Kilimanjaro
Always wanted to hike this mountain, and am seriously thinking about doing it early next year. Before I start doing research, anyone done it? Tips? I have heard that it is required to have a local ...

September 01, 2:47am

Re: Re: Re: Chaffing
Most often what we call chaffing or jock itch is actually fungus resulting from too much moisture. So the trick is to keep the body parts as dry as possible. The ExOfficio Boxer briefs are designed...

In Philosophy & Technique » Chaffing
September 01, 2:03am

New Tim Marshall Epiphany Under Quilt
Somehow I ordered an under quilt instead of a regular quilt. Never used. .33 oz cuben fiber, 2" loft. Weight = 11.6 oz or 12 oz in the sack. Does not have the "breathability stripe.&q...

In Gear Swap » New Tim Marshall Epiphany Under Quilt
September 01, 1:34am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am