BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4311 - 4320 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: Montbell Wind Jacket
Certainly light. It is one of my main windshirts. But if you are exterting yourself, it does not breath well. I sometimes use a Marmot Essence as a combination wind/rain shell. Breathes much better...

In GEAR » Best Wind Shirt?
June 25, 10:16am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppies and homeless folks
What is risk? 1%, 50%, 99% ? Life is a risk. No guarantee that any of us will be here tomorrow. I would not risk my life for anyone or anything if the probability of death was high (whatever ...

In Chaff » Terrorists finding a way in
June 24, 12:59pm

Re: my "help change the first number to 5" list :)
If you really want to get to 5 or lower, you will need to spend a little money. But here is how I would do it. Pack- GG Murmur w/o pads & trip straps (save 5.1 oz) Replace sit pad and air...

In Gear Lists » my "help change the first number to 5" list :)
June 24, 2:08am

Re: Re: Re: New Pack
Durability is definitely an important consideration. I just had to order a new Murmur, because bushwacking did some damage to it. I do try to be careful with these UL packs, but sometimes it doesn&...

In Gear Lists » Need to Lighten Up/Choosing Pack
June 23, 11:15am

Re: Friggin' Great.
So what do you want to be when you grow up? :) Let's see... if the kids went with you, they were wearing wrist protection right? When Joyce and I rollerblade, we wear those awful wrist prote...

In Chaff » Friggin' Great.
June 22, 11:25pm

Re: Re: Re: FS: Kooka Bay 72x20x2.5" mummy air mat
Bender looks like you are out of stock of everything. Time to quit surfer BPL and get back to work :)

In Gear Swap » FS: Kooka Bay 72x20x2.5" mummy air mat
June 22, 10:27pm

Re: New Pack
I have always been perplexed why the Gorilla sells so well. The Mapriposa Plus has more capacity by 13L, weighs less, and has a msx load rating of 30lbs versus 35lbs. I have never seen a Gorilla, b...

In Gear Lists » Need to Lighten Up/Choosing Pack
June 22, 3:27pm

Re: Don't get me wrong
Tarps are not for everyone!! However, my "double size" BPL Nano at 5 oz, is much, much less weight than any tarp tent. I would not recommend anyone use a tarp like this above tree...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarps Above Timberline
June 22, 3:15pm

Re: Tarps above Timberline
Tarps are going to give you more pitching options, and you can sleep in places where a tent is not going to fit. As Dave mentioned, site selection is critical. Also, if you use a tarp often, then p...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarps Above Timberline
June 22, 11:34am

Re: Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What's everyone wearing?
My preference is Rail Rider eco mesh pants and shirts. Fairly frill free, except for the side zippers on the outside of the pant legs, but you will appreciate the cooling properties of the mesh in ...

In GEAR » Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What are the options?
June 22, 11:22am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am