Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 431 - 440 of 713 | Page: 1 ...35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ...72

Forum » Thread

Map, Compass and GPS
Map and Compass come along on any multi-day trips. Most day hikes are on well marked/known trails. Nevertheless, I will often print out just an 8.5 X 11 topo map of the day hike section I may be i...

In GEAR » Map & compass
June 15, 1:39pm

Re: R1
I have the R1 hoody, it is strictly a winter base layer for me because it has such a trim fit. It sounds the general consensus is the Nano puff is a better all around piece than the R2. Though I ...

In GEAR » R2 vs Nanopuff
June 12, 9:48pm

Re: Re: R2 vs Nanopuff
I have a down sweater so I have the colder end of the spectrum covered. I got the Nano Puff to cover the 45-60 degree evenings/mornings. Plus I liked the smooth fabric that allowed easier layerin...

In GEAR » R2 vs Nanopuff
June 12, 7:31pm

R2 vs Nanopuff
Interested in opinions of a comparison between the Patagonia R2 vs Nanopuff. I have the Nanopuff (bought on sale from Spring) but have found that it's lack of breathability (out of necessity b...

In GEAR » R2 vs Nanopuff
June 12, 5:54pm

Re: Re: Potential for cross contamination
Those are very good points. The only way to be absolutely certain there isn't cross contamination is to wash your hands before opening/closing the Opsak. Truth be told there are likely mild s...

In GEAR » Opsak test
June 12, 1:05pm

Re: Goose Creek Loop
Beautiful photos. On this trip you have the attitude that I am working to develop on my backpack trips. They should be fun without the grind of trying to "run". There is too much beaut...

In Post-Trip Reports » Goose Creek Loop
June 11, 9:12am

Re: Spinnaker cloth...
Make a Tarp. Water Resistance of Spinnaker is discussed here

In Make Your Own Gear » Spinnaker cloth...
June 10, 8:29am

Re: Re: 1 down jacket or rain jacket and vest?
For summer a down vest paired with a wind shirt or light rain jacket like the GoLite Tumalo and you have a very versatile setup. The rain jacket/wind shirt over a down vest will keep you comfortab...

In GEAR » 1 down jacket or rain jacket and vest?
June 09, 11:30am

Re: Re: No Replies :(
Just happened to see this thread on you may want to look at

In Pre-Trip Planning » Suggested hikes in the gore range/Eagles Nest area? Summits, alpine, lakes, and fishing!
June 05, 2:44pm

Re: My approach
In the OP you didn't mention what your shelter is. I use a 40 degree quilt. If I was expecting 30F (-1C) temps my normal sleep system would include 1] Ultralight Bivy (cuts wind, probabl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleep systems with clothes
June 05, 2:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm