Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 431 - 440 of 557 | Page: 1 ...35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: bear canister
>>I agree the collapsible option would be heavier and a little more expensive but I don't think for one minute it would be more complex or a weak link. If it was then it couldn't be a...

In GEAR » Carbon Fiber Bear Canister
December 17, 3:42pm

FS - Icebreaker/Patagonia Wool, OR wind shell and fleece mitts, LevaGaiter, Headnet, Cozy, Stuff Sack
End of the year closet cleaning time -- SOLD -- Icebreaker Tech T Lite merino wool t-shirt -- Men's size medium, jungle (green) color. Clean, lightly used, with tags removed. No holes visi...

In Gear Swap » FS - Icebreaker/Patagonia Wool, OR wind shell and fleece mitts, LevaGaiter, Headnet, Cozy, Stuff Sack
December 17, 5:43am

Re: Re: Tent Platforms
>> paying to sleep on a tent platform >PAYING?????????? >Blimey! It's only a handful of popular very high-use areas (that may also have a shelter), that have a caretaker, who...

In GEAR » Tent Platforms
December 13, 2:38pm

Re: Well, it seemed like a good idea...
The Aquamira Filter Bottle -- dip and sip sounded great. Except the filter is an easily lost separate part to keep track of, reduces the bottle volume, and you can't get all of the water out of...

In GEAR » Well, it seemed like a good idea...
December 13, 1:03pm

Re: Re: Tent Platforms
Except for a very few instances (Tuckerman Ravine comes to mind), you don't have to camp at the AMC sites, although they are convenient. Go the the White Mountain National Forrest website, d...

In GEAR » Tent Platforms
December 13, 12:45pm

Re: Re: Harems...
>>"Correction.....there are no Mormons with good polygamous marriages.." >>??? David means that polygamy has been banned by the Mormon church for years (1890). I believe...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trekking and hunting
December 09, 7:15pm

Re: Lightweight Backpacking Long Ago
>>Any other "old school" knowledge or interesting backpacking history available out there? The Backpacker by Albert Saijo from 1977, focused on lightweight and simplicity.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lightweight Backpacking Long Ago
December 08, 6:54pm

Re: 4 Pass Loop?
Dean: I started at Maroon Snowmass trailhead (at the end of Maroon Creek road), picked up the West Maroon Creek and took that over West Maroon Pass, then took the North Fork Trail over Frigid Ai...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 5-6 day Colorado hike suggestions?
November 30, 6:37pm

Re: 5-6 day Colorado hike suggestions?
I think you could easily do a 5 day variation of the 4 Pass Loop in the Maroon Bells -- add in a extra pass (or 2), or base camp near any of the lakes and fish. I enjoyed the area so much last year...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 5-6 day Colorado hike suggestions?
November 30, 10:46am

Re: Re: PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
Great thoughts Nick -- there's something refreshing about telling folks at work I will be unreachable by cell phone or e-mail...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
November 28, 9:10am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm