BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4281 - 4290 of 5396 | Page: 1 ...420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 ...540

Forum » Thread

Inspiring Others
My wife enjoys day hikes, usually 10 to 16 miles in just about any kind of terrain. She never has and is completely unwilling to sleep on the ground. She especially enjoys camping in our tent trail...

In Philosophy & Technique » What If?
September 22, 11:01am

Re: Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
Again, thanks to everyone who input their thoughts on this. Cumulatively I guess I have a lot of snow experience, since I have been doing it for several decades. But realistically, one or two sh...

In GEAR » Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
September 22, 10:03am

Re: Bear Cannisters
Roger, This is a difficult thing to categorize. There are several brands, sizes and weights. Also, there are many best practices. Some people even carry them empty outside the pack, and then fil...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 21, 8:11pm

Re: MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow? Need feedback, please.
I want to thank everyone on their feedback. It is important to note that I want a tent ONLY for winter snow conditions. I have a cuben tarp that works perfectly for me in 3 season conditions and ev...

In GEAR » MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow? Need feedback, please.
September 21, 4:30pm

Re: Timeless
One thing I have always wondered about is how many Trailwise packs and Svea 123s were purchased because Colin Fletcher used them. What I did like about his book was what he liked, why he liked i...

In Gear Lists » 8 pound base weight
September 21, 1:59pm

Re: MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 volume
Henry, Thank you for the input. Of course you have no vested interest in this discussion :) I do not want to debate MLD versus TarpTent as companies. I have several MLD pieces of equipment an...

September 21, 1:53pm

Re: winter footwear
Dave and Doug, Excellent feedback. Last year I was researching snowshoes and had decided on the MSR's. Can't exactly remember the model (have to look at my wife's shopping list). She...

September 21, 1:40pm

Re: packs:28oz at 1200cuin vs 2000+cuin
For day hikes it is a consideration. I have a GG Murmur at 7 oz, but it is way to big for many simple day hikes. Often I prefer a REI flash 18 at about twice the weight.

In GEAR » packs:28oz at 1200cuin vs 2000+cuin
September 21, 1:24pm

Re: MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow?
"Obviously you could get by with either to a point. The question is - should you get stuck in a raging snow storm that dumps 10" of snow, where would you rather spend your time?" ...

September 21, 9:57am

Re: Re: Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
Greg, This is helpful. My trail runners are sized for thicker socks, so I was thinking I can use them with the 40 Below LE TR overshoes. Also with these, I would not need a thicker insole in my ...

September 21, 9:06am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am