Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4271 - 4280 of 8321 | Page: 1 ...419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ...833

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Starting to doubt using my alcohol stove for canister
"The only downside is the need to carry a second canister when the first is getting low" I car camp frequently, like near the trailhead, and can eventually use up all the canisters wit...

In GEAR » Starting to doubt using my alcohol stove for cannister
March 25, 11:39am

Re: Re: cannisters
Maybe I produce 8 empty canisters a year. I put them in recycling. Aren't they aluminum? So they are re-used pretty efficiently. There are so many other things I do that are much worse. ...

In GEAR » Starting to doubt using my alcohol stove for cannister
March 25, 9:40am

Re: Drone Resupply
There have been a number of documentaries about these. Really cool. To be called a drone doesn't it have to be autonomous? Advances in computer hardware and software, cameras,... is maki...

In Editor's Roundtable » SOTMR: Two-way Satellite Communications for Backpacking: Part 1 - Introduction
March 25, 12:05am

Re: Re:Re:Re:Re: Drone Resupply
Yeah, I was thinking helicopter - easier to land

In Editor's Roundtable » SOTMR: Two-way Satellite Communications for Backpacking: Part 1 - Introduction
March 24, 11:03pm

Re: Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees?
field guide - "winter and spring backpacking" I probably prefer winter backpacking because there are so few people, it's not so hot, few bugs, although you have to be more flexible...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees?
March 24, 2:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Two way texting - InReach
"How tedious. I just have a small plane continuously fly over me while I hike to take pictures of me and the trail the entire way. I signal messages to the plane with a mirror, and they mirror...

March 24, 8:41am

Re: Troll
If you sharpen your fingernail it's actually negative weight since you're removing some of the weight of your fingernail

In GEAR » Why a knife instead of scissors?
March 22, 1:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Two way texting - InReach
ahhh - sort of like giving away the razor for free so you'll buy blades forever

March 21, 10:54am

Re: Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?
Ahhh - we're getting into chaff : ) I think most homeless people are "mentally handicapped" not lazy. Why would anyone live under a bridge with traffic whizzing a few feet away fr...

In Philosophy & Technique » Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?
March 21, 10:53am

Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?
I have also thought of the similarity between backpackers and homeless people. Homeless people go along Interstate 5, hikers go along the PCT. If it's raining a lot and I can find shelter...

In Philosophy & Technique » Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?
March 21, 10:29am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.