BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4271 - 4280 of 6462 | Page: 1 ...419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ...647

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: eVent
It seems like eVent has a better DWR coating - water beads up on the outside surface better than other fabrics All of the focus is on the membrane, but maybe the DWR coating is what people shoul...

In Editor's Roundtable » Andrew Skurka's The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide: Book Review
March 04, 1:36pm

Re: Mechanical performance of Shield Sil Nylon?
That would be really nice if they put silicone on one of those lighter nylons The 30d of standard silnylon is way stronger than necesary. For a regular tarp in normal conditions I don't thi...

In Make Your Own Gear » DIY HH Tester
March 04, 11:01am

Re: light coyote brown silnylon
super K kote is 4 ounces per square yard, almost 3 X the 1.4 ounce per square yard of Shield. Don't need the extra strength unless you're climbing Denali : )

In Make Your Own Gear » Fabric suggestions for slightly unusual shelter project - please :-)
March 04, 8:46am

thru-hiker shield silnylon
Richard Nisley measured hydrostatic head. Shield is much better. That's why I got some. Thanks Richard. I think you'de want a tighter weave to be more waterproof but whatever... I&...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fabric suggestions for slightly unusual shelter project - please :-)
March 04, 8:26am

Re: Coleman Fuel
Yeah, Coleman fuel is $12 per gallon, but How many lifetimes will that last? Most people will never use it all up. And if gasoline gums up your stove it's not worth it If gas was all ...

In GEAR » is regular unleaded gasoline really that bad for a liquid fuel stove
March 04, 8:18am

Re: Fabric suggestions for slightly unusual shelter project - please :-)
thru-hiker.com shield silnylon is good. I got some for a floor and it is very waterproof. If it's waterproof for floor then then there won't be any misting in a wall. I don't think...

March 04, 7:27am

Re: Dirty Girl Gaiter Glue Question?
I use gaiters and don't attach to my shoes, they just lay there by gravity Not dirty girl though

In GEAR » Dirty Girl Gaiter Glue Question?
March 04, 7:20am

Re: Sunscreen - how do you get it off?
The detergent used to wash dishes might work a little better

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sunscreen - how do you get it off?
March 04, 7:15am

Re: Update on white gunge
Roger, does that mean using an inverted canister is maybe not recommended? There are things you can do to use canister in cold like having a properly designed reflector or wrap a copper wire aro...

In Make Your Own Gear » Gas canister use in cold
March 04, 7:11am

Re: Overbags etc.
One principal is that the temperature will gradually decrease from body temperature next to your skin to the outside temperature on the outside of your insulation. There is a place where the tem...

In GEAR » Synthetic Quilts and Sleeping Bags
March 03, 8:10pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.