Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4271 - 4280 of 8763 | Page: 1 ...419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ...877

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: CO
Yeah, Roger hates Pocket Rockets : )

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 1
July 05, 11:43am

Re: Re: Re: Why I am on BPL this holiday and weekend
"Tires over 6 years old are not considered safe." according to who? 60 Minutes did a piece where they said 8 years and gave some examples of blow-outs on older than 8 year tires tha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why I am on BPL this holiday and weekend
July 05, 11:26am

Re: Another Sawyer Squeeze Question
If you leave the Squeeze on the water bottle while you're carrying it around, it puts more stress on the bottle and it might break. Maybe better to unscrew Squeeze and carry it seperately.

In GEAR » Another Sawyer Squeeze Question
July 05, 11:19am

Re: Why I am on BPL this holiday and weekend
and the reason I'm on BPL is to escape the hoardes of people. and defend the house from fireworks. I just got back from 4 night backpack, about to go on short trip with RV.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why I am on BPL this holiday and weekend
July 05, 11:17am

Re: Why I am on BPL this holiday and weekend
Man, real bummer, sorry to hear Even though your tires were only 5 years old, one blew, that's weird I have heard 8 years before you should replace. I have a pickup with 13 year old ...

July 05, 11:16am

Re: caliber
"small handgun it will likely heal" No They will track it down and kill it before it has time to start healing

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » bear spray AND gun used in bear encounter
July 05, 11:07am

Re: CO
Is CO only an issue if you run stove in closed tent, room, snow cave, or whatever? If it's raining, I run stove under one side of tent right next to door which I leave open. And I just boil...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 1
July 05, 9:05am

Re: Re: Re: heat retention
"This Old House" continues to use vapor barriers. You have to do it correctly.

In Editor's Roundtable » Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation
July 04, 11:53pm

Re: Re: heat retention
"If IR barriers actually worked a practical scale, all our cars, buildings, and homes would be shiny now." Those are different cases with objects at different temperatures so not direc...

In Editor's Roundtable » Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation
July 04, 11:40pm

Re: heat retention
I think a reflective layer facing out will provide more warmth for it's weight than primaloft or even down. Also a lot less volume packed. I think that's a great emergency gear item in ca...

July 04, 10:55pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.