BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4271 - 4280 of 7237 | Page: 1 ...419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ...724

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: firmware upgrades are always risky
My Garmin 60CSx died - wouldn't boot - pised me off a little because I took it on a trip but it wouldn't capture tracks of the trip. Garmin told me how to re-load low level software, the...

In GEAR » EXTREMELY disappointed with Garmin Customer Service..... DON'T update firmware
September 12, 4:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: VBL and adding layers
On the Stephenson website they say that inside the VBL, the humidity gets high, which cuts perspiration. If the puffy was inside the VBL, it would be in the high humidity zone, so it would get w...

In Make Your Own Gear » making a "vapor liner" to layer with a down bag/quilt in the winter -- will it work?
September 12, 12:46pm

Re: hi-loft fleece
"Down is still way lighter" (than synthetic) I hate that their is so little direct comparison data My crude data says with synthetic you need 60% more weight for the same warmth. ...

In GEAR » 20 degree wet weather clothing, again?
September 12, 12:36pm

Re: Fleece
"That statement shows that you don't hike in a climate where you understand the value of fleece, Jerry." No, that statement shows that even though I know better I screwed up : )

September 12, 12:09pm

I went out for a couple nights. Weather report said only a slight chance of a sprinkle so I left my tent behind. It rained about 1 inch and got my sleeping bag quite wet. It was about 40 F. ...

September 12, 10:50am

"is why I recommend layering scheme using a mid layer like Power Stretch or R1 with a windshirt and higher loft insulation with 100g or greater synthetc fill, or down in drier climates." ...

September 12, 10:26am

Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Tips
(4) If you think it might get cold enough for the filter to freeze (which happens on at least half my trips - what good is a filter that can't tolerate being frozen : ): Shake the filter out...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Filter Tips
September 12, 9:30am

Re: re: hi-loft fleece
Thanks David They said high loft fleece is at least 20% warmer per weight than standard fleece. And that's what I hate about specs for warmth - impossible to compare So, high loft fleece...

September 12, 9:07am

Re: Sizes of bacteria & protista
Roger seems to be in a pattern of spending our summer in the Northern hemisphere and our winter in the Southern hemisphere Nice Roger!

In Editor's Roundtable » A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 2
September 12, 8:44am

Re: fleece
I agree Dale on secondary factors favoring fleece - doesn't matter if it rips, good if you just want a little warmth while exercising,... I'm not so sure about being better if wet, but m...

September 11, 9:16pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.