Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4271 - 4280 of 8534 | Page: 1 ...419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ...854

Forum » Thread

Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!
"It's about the demise of civilization..." Way overblowing this I remember a time when black people were hung because they looked at a white woman and women couldn't vote. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!
May 12, 8:49pm

Re: re: winter backpacking
If you were living in Minnesota - okay, you got a point You who live in Southern California have no winter, but any low areas are probably crowded with people and nice areas for backpacking get ...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure
May 12, 10:18am

Re: Re: Hard water and backflushing.
"I also run diluted bleach through the filter (per Sawyer protocol) at the end of the season." There's your problem Don't end season You have to just keep using it year-r...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure
May 12, 7:49am

Re: Olympic Coast Trail Shuttle Questions
http://www.goallpoints.com/ has been mentioned before - google "olympic shuttle site:backpackinglight.com" kind of expensive 3rd beach to oil city isn't as far as Ozette to Rialta

In Pre-Trip Planning » Olympic Coast Trail Shuttle Questions
May 11, 8:00pm

Re: Re: wet
If it's an intermittent rain, or a drizzle, then I'll stay pretty dry in hard shell. If it's fairly cool. Need to be able to unzip front and have it be a bit baggy so there's as m...

In GEAR » 5 oz Hardshell?
May 08, 11:31am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpacking Thermometer
If you put it on hipbelt it will be effected by body temp. Inside pack will be way off. Weather stations have like a reflective roof to provide shade, lots of air flow on all sides, doesn't...

In GEAR » Is there a reliable backpackign thermometer out there?
May 08, 11:24am

Re: attack
ULer can run faster than the "heavy" camper who will get eaten distracting bear from ULer - unless there are two bears

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Guy on reddit talks about his Grizzy bear attack where he was blinded...
May 08, 10:19am

Re: Re: Backpacking Thermometer
It's not the thermometer's fault, it's your placement. If it's in an outside pack pocket, it'll warm up from sun. And you want it away from body heat. If you dangle thermom...

In GEAR » Is there a reliable backpackign thermometer out there?
May 08, 10:16am

Re: rain tops
One way to cut weight is to make it small - around and in length You want extra room around you for air to circulate inside You want it longer to protect the top of your pants

In GEAR » 5 oz Hardshell?
May 08, 9:51am

Re: Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Going SUL in the Mountains with Adequate Shelter, Insulation, and Rain Protection. Part 1: Concepts and Scope.
Great pictures of Colorado - another place on my list I got to go to some day. Looking forward to the rest of the series. On Glen's pack, the shoulder straps go directly up from the pack - ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Going SUL in the Mountains with Adequate Shelter, Insulation, and Rain Protection. Part 1: Concepts and Scope.
May 08, 9:45am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.