BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4271 - 4280 of 5371 | Page: 1 ...419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ...538

Forum » Thread

Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
Okay, I just posted some questions about shelters, now I need to dial in a LIGHT footwear system. I have a pair of ancient Sherpa brand snowshoes (too heavy and clunky), and will probably get on...

In GEAR » Seeking Feedback on Winter Foot System
September 21, 12:02am

MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow? Need feedback, please.
I am planning on doing a lot of snow BPing this winter. For camping on snow with little chance of a snow storm, I am fine with a tarp. I have done many snow trips over the years, but have somewhat ...

In GEAR » MLD DuoMid vs. Scarp 1 for snow? Need feedback, please.
September 20, 11:13pm

Re: Re: Re: New Tim Marshall Epiphany Under Quilt
Thanks, Tim!!

In Gear Swap » New Tim Marshall Epiphany Under Quilt
September 20, 10:45pm

Re: 8 pound base weight
Mike C, Who is your target audience for this work? Why will your book be better/supplement the current offerings? Both are rhetorical questions. Also, you may want to try and stay away from s...

In Gear Lists » 8 pound base weight
September 20, 10:31pm

Re: Sometimes a checklist is just a checklist
Actually a checklist is a good idea, so you do not forget something. I have a spreadsheet with all my gear, and check items I will be taking, and then it calculates weights for different categories...

In Gear Lists » Check lists
September 19, 7:12pm

Re: What If?
"What If" is financial forecasting in my life. And we all prioritize our lives. I am on some sort of an outdoor adventure about 100 days per year. I have been remodeling my house since...

In Philosophy & Technique » What If?
September 19, 6:39pm

Re: Development
>> It was surrounded by farmland for many years -- until the local cities began to annex land near it and turn good, rich farmland into bedroom communities and mini-malls. Seems simple t...

In Chaff » Bear Gun Season in WV
September 19, 6:25pm

Re: Tumpline
Seems to me that if one needs a tumpline, then they have the wrong pack for the job. Additionally, the neck muscles are going to become very sore for most people who are not used to this kind of wo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tumpline
September 19, 6:05pm

Re: "Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in"
>> I usually use those re-fillable Coghlan squeeze tubes you can get at REI two for $4.50. I have been using those for ages. Last week my wife bought some peanut butter in what appeare...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in
September 17, 12:35am

Re: Re: pack details
Maybe we are being too picky or too serious? For example, I really like Mike C. Hopefully someday I will run into him in the mountains. And my fantasy would be to TP his tarp in the middle of t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 16, 7:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am