BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4271 - 4280 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Poor people have nobody but themselves to blame
It's relatively easy to be John Gault or Horatio Alger in the US or, to a lesser degree, in some other developed country in that with hard work, ability, and a bit of luck one can indeed succee...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
September 30, 11:31pm

The other Ben
Franklin that is. He was an advocate of capitalism and the "trickle down" effect it would have on the poor. Regarding social welfare he said, "I am for doing good to the poor, ...

September 30, 5:45pm

Re: Australia purchase assistance needed
Doug, Once you complete your purchase of Oz, would you be willing to sell me a wallaby?

In Chaff » Australia purchase assistance needed
September 30, 2:44pm

Re: My McHale experience
Tim, Excellent feedback. Yes, Dan will make a custom pack of his design, structure and materials. So it is not exactly custom. I cannot speak for Dan, but I suspect that if his name is on the...

In GEAR » McHale Packs -- Observations & Comments
September 30, 2:31pm

Re: Re: The welfare flame war.
Ben, Many years ago I saw a billboard that has remained embedded in my brain ever since. "There is no heavier burden than a great opportunity." The key is to see the opportunity....

September 30, 2:19pm

Tea Party vs Libertarian vs Democrat vs Republican vs ....
Unfortunately we apply labels to people base on their beliefs, and other folks always vote and think the party dogma. I am not a Tea Party advocate. Probably closest to a Libertarian, but not in...

September 30, 12:09pm

Re: Re: Make the pie higher
Not to be overly nitpicking, but capitalism didn't originate here in America. Indeed, Adam Smith, the reputed father of modern economics, was himself Scottish. --------------------------------...

September 30, 11:55am

Re: Re: The welfare flame war.
I am curious though... do you abhor government programs because you fear they foster dependence? Or do you simply believe that everyone should fend for himself or herself? Do you give regularly to ...

September 30, 11:32am

Re: Re: Re: The Carbon Flame War
Here in the US, education is getting much attention over the last few weeks. Probably due to the documentary, 'Waiting for Superman', that was released. Education could provide a good retu...

September 30, 9:59am

Re: Re: The Carbon Flame War
Rog, Excellent commentary. One thing I would like to point out is that the pie does not necessarily have to be fixed. One thing that American Capitalism proved is that wealth can be created, it ...

September 30, 9:06am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am