BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4261 - 4270 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: pack weight
"You can't manage what you don't measure"

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » determining pack weights
October 12, 8:25am

Re: Conditioning for Extreme Heat?
It is more of an acclimation issue, than conditioning. When I first moved to the desert I suffered the first year. Now I can hike or work outdoors in the heat of the summer. But hiking in 110F + is...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Conditioning for Extreme Heat?
October 11, 5:08pm

Preparing the Body for a Hike
Just finished reading Craig W's Grand Canyon Trip report. Having hiked with Craig, I know he is in phenomenal shape. One thing that really hit me was the amount of sleep he had prior to his ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Preparing the Body for a Hike
October 11, 3:30pm

Re: Grand Canyon R2R2R, 10/9-10/10
Craig, You're the man!! Yep, if no precipitation foretasted, forget the shelter.

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon R2R2R, 10/9-10/10
October 11, 2:52pm

Re: Mountain Hardwear Canyon Pant
I have a pair of the MH Canyon Pants, and they are nice. But in hot weather, I now usually wear my Rail Riders Eco-Mesh pants. Not exactly all the the features the OP is looking for, but they perfo...

In GEAR » Specific hiking pants
October 11, 8:46am

Re: Socks for hot weather
For me, I have found that if you footwear is properly fitted you will not get blisters. I used to wear leather boots, and a thin liner and wool sock worked best in hot weather (desert hiking). ...

In GEAR » Socks for hot weather
October 11, 8:34am

Re: re: San Jacinto
I think you have gotten enough information to plan something in the San Jacintos. If elevation gain is not an issue, you could do the Deer Springs Trail to Little Round Valley which is 1.5 miles be...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Socal trip
October 05, 7:44pm

Re: Re: Re: The reports of my death are premature
So who is correct? The soon-to-be first Climate Change Billionaire, Al Gore or Rog? I vote Rog.

In Chaff » End of the Carbon Flame War Thread
October 05, 4:56pm

Re: So Cal
What kind of shape is your wife in? A great trip would be from Idyllwild up into the San Jacintos, but elevation gain is going to be around 5,000 feet. But there are several routes for variety. Als...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Socal trip
October 04, 11:42pm

Re: The power of spreadsheets
Here is what I use. I build it a couple years ago, and haven't gotten around to sophisticating it. It really is a rough draft. Eventually I will add a grams converter and would like to play aro...

In Gear Lists » The power of speadsheets
October 04, 11:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am