BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4241 - 4250 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: Has your knife ever helped you out of a dire situation?
In the past 5 decades I have never encountered a dire situation that required a knife to extradite myself. I have found more use for the scissors in my Victronix Classic than any blade.

In GEAR » Has your knife ever helped you out of a dire situation?
October 22, 10:34am

Re: How do you load your pack?
Since most of use have rather light loads, optimum distribution for weight carrying is not a major concern most of the time. I pack things in the order I need them. - easy access to the items I ...

In GEAR » How do you load your pack?
October 22, 10:30am

Re: Re: Re: Re: re but at what price?
Craig, Religious wars pale in comparison to men trying to rule others and gain power. But religion does post some pretty impressive death numbers: Thirty Years' War = 3,000,000 to 11,500,...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
October 22, 10:16am

Re: Re: Planning my lady's introduction to backpacking
I would start with day hikes. Then maybe a little car camping. Then if she likes both, do an overnighter in optimal conditions. And if she does not like it, learn to go solo. My wife will do lon...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Planning my lady's introduction to backpacking
October 22, 2:55am

Re: barefoot
Russ, There is no solid proof or benefit to either camp. I will have to disagree on the point that most elite runners had shoes on all their lives. Most of the truly elite runners are from Afric...

In Other Activities » "Elite Runners Wear Shoes"
October 22, 2:45am

Re: Re: "Grand Canyon R2R2R, 10/9-10/10"
Hey Craig, I could be your partner... you just need to give me a head start of 20 miles per day. :)

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon R2R2R, 10/9-10/10
October 22, 2:28am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Son of Carbon Flame War
The climate experts are now agreeing that natural factors had more of an effect from 1970 than previously thought. This will lead to a new calculation of sensitivity which will make co2 a bit playe...

October 22, 2:18am

Re: Re: re but at what price?
Craig... Nuclear arms are bad. But perhaps they are a deterrent, with a catastrophic potential? Catastrophic deaths are due to people, not technology in the majority of cases. World War 2 (19...

October 22, 1:59am

Re: Re: Re: Son of Carbon Flame War
> What of the constant glorification of the businessman? It is man who I want to glorify, not the businessman. It just seems that I am one of the few champions of the businessman, too many pe...

October 18, 10:33am

Re: contact lens wearers
I have worn glasses for many years. Mostly for reading, as my far vision is not that bad. I have never tried contacts because they seem like a hassle. So would wearing glasses on long backpackin...

In Philosophy & Technique » contact lens wearers
October 18, 1:24am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am